Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1493715  by NHV 669

Jay is probably the best source for photos and news of NEGS moves on this line. Very well written, it's funny what media monopolies can do to the public's awareness of their surroundings.
 #1498031  by b&m 1566

It's good to know that the city of Laconia and the WOW Trail are not being considered for the TAP funds. Going by the WOW Trail facebook page, they were lobbying for a piece of that money too.
 #1498860  by b&m 1566

Just curious, does anyone have any information on this caboose? It had been sitting on the corner of the building with the spur next to it, since at least 2003 but was moved when the bike path was built thorough there. Was this caboose once part of the caboose train?
 #1499084  by NHV 669

Pitman's Freight House, a music venue, does own the caboose. Their social media rep instructed to call Pitman's owner, Dick Mitchell with any questions about it at 603-494-3334.
 #1507114  by b&m 1566

Alta, the company conducting the study for the city of Laconia and the W.O.W. Trail, is supposed to finish up their study by the end of April. I don't expect we'll see anything right away, but in the coming weeks, something should appear and since the city of Laconia funded this study, it will have to be made public. I expect the Liconia rag or possibly the Concord Monitor, to show the report. Info may or may not get leaked on the Winnipesaukee Forum before then, so that's another place to keep an eye out for info.
 #1508191  by b&m 1566

In regards to the W.O.W. Trail, I just received word that Alta Planning & Design, is expected (although not confirmed) to present their study to the Laconia City Counsel, at the city counsel's public meeting, this coming Monday the 13th at 7pm.
 #1509107  by b&m 1566

https://www.visitwhitemountains.com/pre ... al-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure most are probably aware of this, since it made the news wire at the national level. The railroad had their own study done and it sheds light on their side of the story for what will inevitably be an ensuing battle between the railroad and trail supporters. A look at the Winnipesaukee Forum, some are saying the study (paid for by the railroad) is biased and purposely favors the railroad.
Btw, has anyone seen a similar article published in the Liconia rag? I can't find it and I won't be surprised if they haven't and don't... they're pro trail.
 #1513918  by b&m 1566

I've waited and looked, I've waited some more and looked again... you get the drift. Why can I not fine the results of the study done by Alta last winter? Has Alta really not submit the results to the city and the WOW Trail yet? Is it possible the study revealed that the city's plan is not feasible and are trying to hide the results or is the city trying to coerce Alta into changing the results to better fit the city's overall agenda?
 #1513985  by b&m 1566

In New Hampshire, because the study was paid for using tax dollars, it would also be illegal for them not to publish the results of the study. 2 ½ months after the study was supposed to have wrapped up and they still don't have the final report submitted? It's getting to the point where it's starting to look little suspicious. The city is relying heavily on that study to support its mission of phase 3 and eventually phase 4 of the WOW Trail, so they need the report to be in their favor.
 #1514041  by MEC407

Surely there must be someone you can call or email and ask them about it? Delays happen; that's not necessarily a sign of something sketchy going on.
 #1518541  by b&m 1566

It sounds like the state may have taken the opportunity to have more areas studied than just the section in question, that the city of Laconia wanted done. They are currently waiting on info from 3M in Tilton, before submitting the study to the public.

Allen Beetle the WOW Trail president seems very optimistic:
Today we have the opportunity to create something special that will generate positive economic impact and much, much more. And unlike the railroad in the 1800s, WE (the State of N.H.) already own the land and if new technologies should ever make passenger or freight economically viable and a better use of this land, then the state would always have the option to upgrade or reinstall the rail in the future.
Click here to read the rest of the article