Railroad Forums 

• Caboose in Merrimack

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#406360  by sixaxlealcoII

Does anyone know the pedigree of the wooden caboose located along Rt.3 in Merrimack New Hampshire. It is being used as some kind of retail shop.

Michael Thomas

#406917  by John_Henry

Roger Kirkpatrick's caboose list has it as ex New Haven.

JH

#407214  by truman

I made the same assumption. Its actually a flanger. Check the thread "Merrimack NH" in the B&M/MeC forum.
 #407400  by sixaxlealcoII

When I drove by the caboose last week the passenger in my car indicated that he thought it was from the WN&P. I figured if it was truly a piece of WN&P rolling stock it was worth looking into further. I really dig those fox trucks...

Michael Thomas

#407675  by citystation1848

My two cents:

It is an old flanger as stated, and I find it strikingly similar to the flanger that's up at North Conway behind the freight house. My bet is on Maine Central heritage.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?19981 ... 600317.jpg

Matt

#408834  by caboose9

John_Henry wrote, "Roger Kirkpatrick's caboose list has it as ex New Haven."

Must be an old New Hampshire List! Get a newer one from me at "caboose9 @ beyondbb.com", no gaps. Roger
 #1487956  by citystation1848

Some good news... after reporting that it was scrapped on Facebook, the former owner popped up and said it was sold to someone that's moving/restoring it for use as an office. Yay!
 #1487975  by p42thedowneaster

Looks very similar to the Maine Central/Portland Terminal flanges in Sandown, NH. Not sure those are fox trucks...typically I think of them as being pressed steel. These are iron-clad wood maybe?
 #1487986  by p42thedowneaster

They are right at the WN&P depot in the center of town.

The cars were moved over from Derry where they were kept for a while on the M&L near Bensons hardware. When they arrived in Sandown they had already been painted red which was thought to be in homage to the B&M territory they were placed in. The Sandown team researched the cars and found them to be of MEC heritage and decided to color them in the later green scheme.

I think both colors may have been used on the MEC anyways though...
If you watch the 1940s-50s Mountain Division video by Heron Rail Video, I seem to remember seeing a similar MEC flanger in Bartlett wearing an oxide red color with white lettering and a matching "shorty" wedge plow ( 2 axle wooden plow).