Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#525875  by g-and-u-watcher

In the first article I find Chairwoman Marsha Paul's actions threatening. I wonder if she treats all business entering town as a threat. Comments such as "If I could stop you I would, but I cant" should not be coming from a town politician....
Hi -

I agree that those comments seem hostile toward business. However I believe that town elections are coming up soon (early May, I believe) and that Ms. Paul is running for re-election. I have no doubt that there are voters in town who feel threatened by an operational railroad; the article stated as much, that concerned citizens showed up to the town meeting on the subject.

I believe that Ms. Paul needs to walk a fine line here if she wants to be re-elected. While a business can provide tax income to the town, it's the voters who will elect her.

If she's re-elected, I'd be interested to see if her tone changes after the election.

#525964  by Engineer999

It's not likely that she will change her tune after the election. Even if Mark brings 100-200 jobs into the town, she will want the companies to haul all of their stuff in and out of town on the highway.

Railroads are too big, and stinky, and noisy. Neighbors along the track will yell when the trains blow their horns for crossings during the day because it disrupts their afternoon tea. And then they will complain if they are run at night because they are disturbing their sleep. Idling locos will be blamed for air polution even though 17 trucks bouncing down Route 146 are worse.

G & U hasn't even made one move, and they are already in a battle.

#526062  by Guilford Guy

Word is BCLR CF7 is headed to G&U. The 212 will remain in service, and the 1001 will be cut up? Anyone got any spare change?
 #526087  by SkiScorcher88

Glad to hear that the 212 will remain active. It's an excellent switching engine for this short line. As for the 1001, it was inspected years ago and determined that it would be too costly to get it running again. While I'd hate to see it go, there is no use keeping it around if they really are going to revitalize the railroad.

Does anyone know whether the GE 44-Tonner is going to stay or be scrapped as well? Internally it's not in bad shape, but the exterior could use some work. Now that would be worth some spare change!

#528179  by Engineer999

I swung by the G & U around Noon today, and the BCLR CF7 is on the property. It was parked behind a long cut of cars (many hopper cars) on the G & U CSX interchange. The 212 has been uncovered.

The switch to the 212 was set for the mainline to W. Upton. No changes along the line to W. Upton. Ties are still piled along the ROW. The brush hog is gone from behind Cumberland's in Grafton. The line looks completely clear from N. Grafton interchange to W. Upton yard. Heavy brush from W. Upton to Milford.
 #528231  by G&Ufan

Well for those of you that check this still brand new ties have been placed at key areas along the G&U tracks. At the Cebter of Grafton at the Upton yard. I believe in N. Grafton and a few level crossings.

#529291  by Guilford Guy

How about this for paint on the CF7? :-D

#529351  by slashmaster

Does anyone know when they moved that passenger car by cumby's? I was also wondering what all those hopper cars in the north grafton yard are for?
 #529579  by frrc

[DELETED]
Last edited by frrc on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #529666  by slashmaster

frrc wrote:The passenger car moved out to Palmer a while ago. The hopper cars are most likely for used rr ties and related materials.
No it couldn't be that. I didn't count but there are about 10 or more of them. Those fresher ties that they have out to replace the old probably wouldn't even fill one of these.
 #529696  by CVRA7

The graffiti-covered CF7 (#2443?), stenciled G U, was in the interchange yard as of last Friday, along with the hopper cars. The 212 was busy switching from the south end of the string of hoppers. I haven't seen that many cars in the N Grafton yard in decades.
As reported earlier the right of way seems to have been clear cut for a good part of the distance south from Washington Mills toward Upton but brush remains heavy Upton to Hopedale and really thick Hopedale to Milford.
Some minor brush cutting has recently taken place in Hopedale along the main - one or two large trees have been removed and a bunch of saplings appeared to have been cut by hand. The enginehouse area looks to have been the recipient of a major clean-up effort with most of the old trailers that once jammed the area having been removed. A fairly modern looking back-hoe was parked next to the building. The shell of the old flanger remains. The 4-5 track yard that led to the Draper factory still disappears into the brush. Much of the Draper factory appears to have been recently torn down, with some of the perimeter buildings remaining for re-use, probably for residential and commercial purposes. I don't think there would likely be a rail freight need unless some new building took place on the rather large site. The large former lumber (Wickes?) warehouse remains vacant - it has one track that would need rebuilding if a rail freight oriented customer could be found.
These are interesting times along the G&U!

#529699  by stvigi

Can anyone tell me if the G&U does reactivate the line from Hopedale to Milford, who would pay for the installing new rails across Rt. 16? Would it be the G&U or the state? Also what types of gates/signals would they have to install? The old signals must date back to the 60's which are still on both sides of the road.

Steve
 #529765  by SkiScorcher88

Back in 2005, the town of Milford got quite fet up with the "noisy" and "bumpy" crossing. They reached a deal with the G&U which allowed them to pave over the intersection under one condition. If the G&U were to be reactivated along that stretch of track, the highway dept would be fully responsible for fixing the crossing. At the time, no traffic had pass through Milford in approx. 30 years. I bet they didn't think the line would be in use less than three years later. Here's an excerpt from an article I found using my school's database subscription:
Copyright New York Times Company Oct 31, 2005

MILFORD - State Rep. Marie J. Parente, D-Milford, has announced that the Massachusetts Highway Department and owners of the Grafton and Upton Railroad have reached an agreement which will resolve the longstanding noise problem on Route 140 caused by vehicles crossing the unused railroad tracks.

According to a letter sent to Ms. Parente from Charles Mistretta, acting District 3 highway director, the Grafton and Upton Railroad has agreed to let the state remove the inactive railroad grade crossing and pave over the location, a project which will begin within weeks. The Massachusetts Highway Department will be responsible for replacing the tracks if the rail line becomes active again, according to officials.

"It has been a long process to reach this point, and I am glad that a combination of perseverance and a willingness to negotiate has resulted in a positive outcome for all concerned parties," Ms. Parente said.

The Massachusetts Highway Department investigated the noise issue after receiving inquiries from Ms. Parente and Milford residents. It determined the noise was caused by heavy traffic disturbing plates between the rails.
 #529774  by g-and-u-watcher

SkiScorcher88 wrote:Back in 2005, the town of Milford got quite fet up with the "noisy" and "bumpy" crossing. They reached a deal with the G&U which allowed them to pave over the intersection under one condition. If the G&U were to be reactivated along that stretch of track, the highway dept would be fully responsible for fixing the crossing. At the time, no traffic had pass through Milford in approx. 30 years. I bet they didn't think the line would be in use less than three years later.
Interesting information! Thanks for digging that up. I was wondering about that (who would be responsible for reinstalling the crossings). I also wonder if a similar deal is in place for the other two paved-over Milford crossings (South Main Street, and Depot Street, basically on either side of Pinz bowling alley)?