Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#533972  by NHN503

feasibility study study for the Mt. Div has been completed. Study published best case, middle case, and worst case situations for a railroad running from Portland - Steep Falls, Portland-Baldwin, Portland-Fryeburg. Its on the MDOT website, and a good 140 page read. I found it very interesting.

They got help from NHN and a few other shortlines that had similar track and business situations.

From what I have heard there is a bill that looks like it is going to pass that will be voted on in November to start rehabbing the line.

#534096  by b&m 1566

Wow!!! Maine is wasting no time. Is there a website to that report?
If NHN helped the state of Maine in the feasibility study is it possible to say that the NHN might bid on it, to operate it?

#534168  by NHN503

NHN is not interested in operating the line, but there is another contractor who is that I know of.

The main reason, other than "commuter" trains is that there is a pit operator in Baldwin that wants to ship gravel/sand to Portland. The closest similar operation that is pretty much soley based on gravel is NHN, so they went to them. NHN provided figures on how much it costs to haul per ton per mile, and suggested facilities, and general cost of train handling based on their current staffing and equipment.

#534197  by MEC407

I would expect that Morristown & Erie will probably put in a bid to operate the line... and, strange as it might seem, PAR will probably bid too. In the recent past they've bid (unsuccessfully, of course) on all sorts of things, ranging from the Rockland Branch to the MBTA commuter rail.

#534256  by NHN503

MEC407 wrote:...PAR will probably bid too. In the recent past they've bid (unsuccessfully, of course) on all sorts of things, ranging from the Rockland Branch to the MBTA commuter rail.

I wouldn't doubt it.....and I can't wait to hear the laugh from Kim in the Freight Department office at MDOT.
 #711843  by oibu

Just wondered if anyone knows what NHN's operations consist of lately in terms of days and times and predictability? I might have a chance to stop by and try and get them coming out of Ossippee next week. I'd imagine they've either not been running as reliably or frequently as in teh past now that the dig is wrapped up and the economy/contruction is in the bowl? Thanks!
 #711883  by b&m 1566

Although it's been quite some time since anyone posted on the thread, some of your question might already be answered here. Last I heard were 3 trips a week excluding the weekends.
 #711986  by NHN503

They are pretty much running Mon-Thurs right now Sat-Sun if needed (rarely)
But all you need to know is in the thread that 1566 posted.

Also its NHN..... Northcoast is one word, not North Coast.
 #712069  by oibu

Well since my previous thread was locked and everyone insisted that the information I seek regarding current operations is posted here, which it is not, and makes no sense since NOTHING has been posted in this thread since May of 2008 (LAST YEAR, 15 months ago), I guess I'll have to just ask again here. So do they really normally still run Mon-Thurs, and about what time do they typically leave the pit?

Also to clear up from the other thread, at least some other railroads do in fact list NHNC as the billing code. NHNC= NEW HAMPSHIRE NORTHCOAST CORPORATION.
 #712218  by Dick H

Most of the summer, the NHN has run south to Dover on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons and north to Ossipee on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Last week, they did come south on Monday and went north on Tuesday morning, in addition to the runs listed above. They did not come to Dover yesterday (Monday) and with next Monday being Labor Day, will not run that day either.

They may be running on other days between Ossipee and Tri-City in North Rochester to service their Rochester Terminal aggregate facility there.

Dick
 #712262  by NHN503

oibu wrote:Well since my previous thread was locked and everyone insisted that the information I seek regarding current operations is posted here, which it is not, and makes no sense since NOTHING has been posted in this thread since May of 2008 (LAST YEAR, 15 months ago), I guess I'll have to just ask again here. So do they really normally still run Mon-Thurs, and about what time do they typically leave the pit?

Also to clear up from the other thread, at least some other railroads do in fact list NHNC as the billing code. NHNC= NEW HAMPSHIRE NORTHCOAST CORPORATION.
Well, since you prefer to be more hostile when you were directed to the proper place to post your question or see if it had already been answered then I dont know what to tell you. We like to keep all updated/pertinent/single railroad info in single threads so its easy to find what you are looking for. And with NHN not much changes at all in their schedules. Their schedule since the big dig ended pretty much has not changed to the T. If it does change, its on a minutes notice from the TOM in Ossipee. Grab a radio, plug the repeater in and listen. Or bring up the online Maine RR scanner....NHN is on their list. 18 months! Must not have changed then!....Oh wait...it HASN'T.

The thread was locked because you were directed to the proper location to post or search for your answer. Does not mean you could not ask your question again here. Forums arnt that hard. If you think we are being too hard, try posting in a tech forum. If nothing was posted here...then I guess you could expect NOTHING in an additional thread...pretty plain and simple.

And your NHNC does nothing to clear anything up. NHN is their reporting marks. The fact that so an so sitting behind a desk at some remote terminal or in a nice office that has no ties other than an other railroad has nothing to do with what the railroad is properly known as, and reported as such. New England Southern is listed as NES on some of our billing sheets....still doesnt change that we are NEGS, referred to as NEGS, and bill our stuff as NEGS. Just because someone else has it as something doesnt mean its right. And 2nd of all...the east coast railfan mistake is calling it North Coast thus NHNC and not the Corp part. Yours is the first explanation I have heard where the C stands for corporation. Not saying its not out there, but the east coast railfan mistake is misspelling the name.
 #712286  by oibu

Thanks to those who responded!

To the mod: not tryingto be hostile, but I think you guys get a little too tied up in over-moderating at times. You want to talk about "hostile"? I'm not the one who a.) insisted that I should seek current info in a forum thread that has been dead for over a year, b.) insisted that current info could be found there, despite the ovious fact that said thread was dead, c.) did not make any apparent attempt to convey the information I was inquiring about, and then d.) felt the need to correct me becuase I used some other railroads billing code, which is how some refer to the railroad (I didn't just pull it out of the air), but which doesn't happen to be the AAR report mark. Seriously sir, a simple and courteous "I'm moving your post to the NHN thread since that is the place intended for such inquiries" would have MORE than sufficed. Really sir, I believe I asked my question in a perfectly courteous manner even it happened that there was a more appropriate way/place to go about it. I must be mistaken in thinking that the moderator's job is to manage such matters, not to chastise anyone who happens to not do things in a way that is not to their preference and then imply that it shoudl have been obvious to any moron that the info they sought could be found there. My comments to that effect were solely in response to the discourteous and unhelpful manner in which my previous post was "moderated". I do not take offense to being informed that there was a better place to post or that my post was moved, but rather to the argumentative and critical manner in which it was accomplished.

The attitude is seemingly still present in your last post. Ok, that's all well and good that nothing's changed in teh last year. But how the heck would I know that? If I knew I wouldn't be asking, no? I wouldn't expect you to know what is going on in central NY right now just because it hadn't changed in the past year, why would you expect me to know that nothing's changed on the NHN- just because it wasn't posted on rr.net means it hasn't happened? As for the "east coast" comments... you've totally lost me there... no idea. You're saying east coast railfans have a habit of mispelling the name of an east coast (or is that "eastcoast"?) railroad? And yes, at least the last I knew, the full name of the company is in fact New Hampshire Northcoast Corporation.
 #712744  by Otto Vondrak

oibu wrote:To the mod: not tryingto be hostile, but I think you guys get a little too tied up in over-moderating at times...
Free web sites: You get what you pay for.

Send your questions about how this web site is operated to me, I will gladly discuss anything with you privately.

Now, back to the NHN discussion.

-otto-