Railroad Forums 

• What's this? "New England Railroad"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#338424  by Otto Vondrak

Warning: annoying music clip plays on this web site:

http://www.newenglandrailroad.com/

Found this online: "The New England Railroad is a railroad proposed to begin operations in the Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada on October 1, 2006. Initially the Railroad will link Portland, Maine, Gorham, New Hampshire, North Stratford, New Hampshire, Island Pond, Vermont, and Montreal, Quebec. A later route will be through North Conway, New Hampshire, St. Johnsbury, Vermont, Newport, Vermont, and into Montreal.
In February 2005 the Railroad posted a request for restorable standard-gauge steam locomotives."

-otto-

#338459  by MEC407

Old news. It was a fantasy project dreamed up by some guy who claimed he had money and investors all lined up and ready to roll. He also talked about buying and restoring the Mountain Division and the Belfast & Moosehead Lake. Nothing ever came of it. The money and investors were all, apparently, in his head.

#340597  by mwhite

This appears to be someone named Donald Adams who lives at the same address. Because of all of the spelling and grammatical mistakes, I would guess that this is an overzealous high school kid. I find it bizarre that there are employment forms and such on this website. It also leaves one with the impression that they already have rolling stock, right of way, etc., none of which is true or else it would be on NERail or in various web forums.
 #343858  by metroduff

Looks to me like an adult computer nerd who has developed this website to flesh out some kind of alternative reality - either a RailBaron scenario, railroad simulation, or model railroad. Or perhaps a travel agent. I doubt a real railroad operator would want to begin operations in Northern New England just as the good weather was ending ...

The use of terms like "vertical and horizontal business opportunities" and statements like "we are always looking for new ways to upgrade our website and improve on the information, educational pages, and to provide pleasure and fun for all ages" fascinates me.

Anyone try to buy anything from the Caboose Shoppe? Or dared to call the phone number?

#344041  by caduceus

"Vertical" and "Horizontal" are the current business buzzwords that mean very little in most cases, like "unique paradigm", "exciting opportunity", and "capable of producing a profit".

#344437  by mainerails

Don Adams is actually a real guy... apparently a former manager at Filene's or something like that.

He went so far as to attend town meetings in Belfast and elsewhere, and got Channel 6 news to cover his proposed restoration of service to Montreal.

#345201  by Sir Ray

caduceus wrote:"Vertical" and "Horizontal" are the current business buzzwords that mean very little in most cases, like "unique paradigm", "exciting opportunity", and "capable of producing a profit".
Vertical integration has been around a lot longer, at least since Henry Ford days (and probably earlier) where Ford owned not only the production lines, but even the parts suppliers and often the raw material sources (iron mines, rubber planations, lumber yards etc.). The large American Steel companies also tended to be vertically integrated well before that phrase became trendy.
Horizontal sounds more like the old Synergy concepts of the 1960s, where one conglomerate would own many different companies, which although not necessarily in the same business, would benefit from shared back-office facilities and corporate leadership. Nice idea, on paper at least...

#410683  by jscola30

meant to post on this earlier, they even in fact are listed in the 2007 Tourist Train Guidebook on pg. 102...they got a new website, of course that's what you want before you get trackage rights, equipment, personell...

#410871  by Otto Vondrak

False advertising? This route doesn't exist, the photos of the equipment look like they were stolen off Colorado Railcar's web site (or Princess Cruises), and there are no timetables listed. But they are asking you to book your trip today:

[email protected]

or call 207 449-1486 or 603 294-4367

So who wants to call this number and report their findings back to us? I want to publicize what a scam this whole operation is.

-otto-

#410910  by NHN503

Otto Vondrak wrote:False advertising? This route doesn't exist, the photos of the equipment look like they were stolen off Colorado Railcar's web site (or Princess Cruises), and there are no timetables listed. But they are asking you to book your trip today:

[email protected]

or call 207 449-1486 or 603 294-4367

So who wants to call this number and report their findings back to us? I want to publicize what a scam this whole operation is.

-otto-
I called both numbers and did not get a hold of anyone. The 207 number rings about 7 times and then goes to an answering machine with a message from a guy who sounds that he is about 40ish.

The 603 number just rings and rings and then you get a message stating that all the lines are busy and the call cannot be completed.

Reverse Lookup:
(603) 294-4367 is a land line based in Portsmouth, NH
The registered service provider is Level 3 Communications.
Detailed listing information is not available.

(207) 449-1486 is a cell phone based in Brunswick, ME
The registered service provider is Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile.
Detailed listing information is not available.

#410928  by MEC407

If you get in touch with whoever publishes that tourist train guide book, maybe they could give you the contact information for the person who purchased the listing.

#410930  by CN9634

I think it some guys college portfolio or something ?