Railroad Forums 

• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1042003  by ThinkNarrow

While I am in no way associated with the Silver Lake Railroad (the rails are too far apart), I would like to put in a brief "plug" for it. I visited it for the first time last year, expecting a rather slap-dash operation. Nothing could be further from the truth - this outfit is first class in every respect. Imagine a nice parking lot, attractive polyurethaned picnic tables with colorful umbrellas, a marvelously retro diner, and a perfectly restored station. The only thing they lack is real restrooms, but they do have the classiest porta-potty I've ever seen - running wash water and mirror no less! The rolling stock is very comfy and the views are good, too.

I'm looking forward to a return visit.
-John
 #1042122  by b&m 1566

There is no restroom in the station for the public to use? Building a restroom facility is big bucks ($2,000 to $10,000+), a septic tank an leach field would require exstensive work, I dont expect you will see a regular restroom facility anytime soon for an operation like this. I suppose something similar to what they have a Crawford's could work but I suppose that would still cost too much.

Figure came from yahoo and depending on the type of system, it can cost upwards to $20,000.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1042126  by Reader#108

There is an outhouse there. It is kept clean and servicable.

As I was quoted on the front of this year's brochure.....Top 5 place to visit in New England.

If you are headed to the Valley, stop and take in a ride or the scenery.

Ride by DONATION! Where else besides CAMA can you get in for donation?

Chances are good if you live in New England, you will make your way to the

Mt. Washington Valley at some point over the next 6 months.....

I can't imagine not stopping here to take a ride!
 #1042283  by SilverLakeRailroad

ThinkNarrow wrote:While I am in no way associated with the Silver Lake Railroad (the rails are too far apart), I would like to put in a brief "plug" for it. I visited it for the first time last year, expecting a rather slap-dash operation. Nothing could be further from the truth - this outfit is first class in every respect. Imagine a nice parking lot, attractive polyurethaned picnic tables with colorful umbrellas, a marvelously retro diner, and a perfectly restored station. The only thing they lack is real restrooms, but they do have the classiest porta-potty I've ever seen - running wash water and mirror no less! The rolling stock is very comfy and the views are good, too.

I'm looking forward to a return visit.
-John
Thanks John, We really appreciate hearing stuff like this! We take pride in maintaining our grounds. The whole area really is beautiful! New seat pads for this year ;) and yes some of the views are gorgeous especially on a crystal clear day! I am hoping for and rather expecting another successful year! Our goal is not to make money, only to share the fantastic experience of the Silver Lake Railroad with as many people as possible! It sure is a special place! The word is catching on thanks because of kind and respectful people like you, so again thanks!

Oh and John if you haven't signed up for the SLRR Newsletter as of yet, do so I think you would like to receive our newsletter!
http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/apps/auth/signup

Will Scopa
SLRR Volunteer
 #1049777  by b&m 1566

Thanks for the ride yesterday Will! On the way home, my wife made the comment that she loves the look of abandoned railroad tracks. I asked her why and she said it's the way the rails look in the brush and the paved over rails, etc. I chuckled and told her that if she said that in a room full of railfan's, it would have gone silent; she just laughed!
 #1049810  by Trainlover479

b&m 1566 wrote:Thanks for the ride yesterday Will! On the way home, my wife made the comment that she loves the look of abandoned railroad tracks. I asked her why and she said it's the way the rails look in the brush and the paved over rails, etc. I chuckled and told her that if she said that in a room full of railfan's, it would have gone silent; she just laughed!
Certainly can count me as one who would ask why....LOL!
 #1049818  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Thanks for the ride yesterday Will! On the way home, my wife made the comment that she loves the look of abandoned railroad tracks. I asked her why and she said it's the way the rails look in the brush and the paved over rails, etc. I chuckled and told her that if she said that in a room full of railfan's, it would have gone silent; she just laughed!
Actually, there is a certain "picturesqueness" about abandoned, or less used tracks., Not sure what it is, and I'm rather reluctant to attempt to define it. But there's "something"......
 #1050069  by SilverLakeRailroad

Trainlover479 wrote:So i hear of an A6 being in a Heritage scheme... any pics of it yet?
shhhhhh I knew I shouldn't have said anything!

Since the cat is out of the bag.....

The a6 will be numbered B&M 1555 in memory of the first B&M loco ever to wear the Minuteman Scheme. Seemed fitting as this is likely the first A car or small MOW/track car equipment ever to wear the scheme!

No photos as of yet. We are awaiting Breaks from operations manager Bruce, then the burgundy will go on in a few weeks. We received the B&M Burgundy paint chip from former B&MRRHS President and SLRR volunteer Jim Nizgus. When we receive the brakes we will get the paint.

The stripes will be hand painted after the burgundy is applied. I'm going to make a cut out of the yellow curves on the front of the locomotive. It's a lot of work because I will do the calculations of a mathematical curve to get the correct curve shape. I also have to paint the curve over the radiator which will be difficult as well.

Once the stripes are up there will be a Minuteman Logo placed on the South facing side of the A6 (the non-radiator side/rear). This is the tricky part. Matt D'Arco who makes absolutely amazing drawings has offered (rather said yes quite enthusiastically to my offer for the job), but that is a big and very detailed job. I think it may be best to have a sticker or magnetic logo made up. That's a month away or so...

To finish the project we will install custom number boxes for the 1555, one on top of the other lights (like the original GP-7) between the windows on both head ends, maroon seat pads, and alternating ditch lights.

This A6 will be hooked up to the third coach as our overfill train locomotive, and will be the star of the show on our July 28th railfans day with Photo run-bys to showcase it.

How cool is this? I'm surely excited!

Anything else you want to know, its no longer a surprise!

RSVP FOR RAILFANS DAY TO SEE THIS SPECIAL A6 IN ACTION WITH SPECIAL PHOTO RUNBY'S!
email [email protected] to RSVP. Heres the days schedule! http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/2012% ... %20Day.pdf
 #1050070  by SilverLakeRailroad

Cosmo wrote:
Trainlover479 wrote:
Actually, there is a certain "picturesqueness" about abandoned, or less used tracks., Not sure what it is, and I'm rather reluctant to attempt to define it. But there's "something"......
Especially when it's cut correctly! I guess it doesn't look dead... Like this- http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/apps/ ... d=99584566
 #1050289  by b&m 1566

She was actually referring to the unused portion along Silver Lake.
I was quite surprise to see some shine on the rails with the runs you made this past weekend; I never imagined it would show because of the light weight equipment.
 #1054476  by SilverLakeRailroad

I received a call from volunteer Ross- he just completed a full replica/restoration of an old B&M Crossbuck. These things hang on the tops of pieces of 65lb iron rail. The town of Madison pulled the rail and crossbuck at the 113 crossing by the station and gave it to us a few years back. It was placed out behind the freight house near the woods and the area grew in around it.

Last year I found a crossbuck at Boulder Rd and wanted to take it down to restore/replicate it. The bolts were rusted on and we did not want to take any chances trying to get it off, so we abandoned the idea. Ironically that afternoon, mowing the yard I mowed past where I normally do in what had become overgrown vegetation. There it was, the rotted crossbuck from 113. Neil filled me in on the above story of how it got there and he went to SL Home Center with the dimensions of the original wood. Unfortunately he was off by an eighth of an inch in thickness, but very close to the dimensions of the original wood.

Ross took the two pieces of wood home for the winter and began creating stencils from the B&M Spec sheet he had from the milepost project. He just finished and is bringing the completed crossbuck to the Depot Sunday.

We will load the original rail (and cement post) onto the trailer and offload it at the crossing where it will go up with the crossbuck and offer a warning to any passing motorists, ATVer's, bikers, or pedestrians who pass by.

We also have two round yellow RX crossing signs homemade out of wood to put up at the crossing further out from the crossbuck. The metal ones we had were stolen so hopefully people will leave the homemade ones alone! The old ones are probably in a dorm somewhere!

Did you like the story or am I waisting my time? lol

ALSO can anyone find some photos of the B&M 1555 in its Minuteman from back in the day. I'm hard pressed to find any good ones...
 #1063069  by SilverLakeRailroad

The Maroon is on the A6. What's left are the stripes, lights, and whistle, then she is all set to go! Thanks to CSRR flr letting me measure the stripes on the 573 so I can scale it down to our A6! That's a big help!

Make a reservation for Railfans Day. It's looking like we're going to have a fun day with run-by's! http://www.silverlakerailroad.com/railfansday.htm