Railroad Forums 

• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#398109  by B&Mguy

I was at Silver Lake today, and happned to be talking to one of the members of the Silver Lake RR group, and he told me that they plan to start operation this summer. He said that it will likely start out as a weekend only operation, but he's hoping that it will attract a decent crowd. I'm wondering how well the SLRR will be able to compete with the CSRR.

Since the grade crossing over route 113 is long gone, the SLRR will be forced to run north, which does not seem to be the most scenic section of track.

I will say that it is nice to see sections of the Conway Branch being rebuilt, and it seems that possibly in the not too distant future, the entire line could be active again.

#398244  by b&m 1566

The SLRR will never be able to compete with the CSRR. First off it seems to be one guys passion to operate a small railroad with little trains and little rehab to the existing track. The town of Madison really seems to like this little railroad so who knows what might happen. From what I have been told there will be no fee to pay but just a waiver form in case something should happen. Who knows maybe if it all goes well another train might be set up on the other side of 113 so a train can go along side Silver Lake and on to Mt. Whittier Station; 113 crossing may even get rehabbed if it works out really well. Either way I'm looking forward to the day I take a ride on it.

#418191  by MBTA1109

On my way to North Conway today I swung by the Silver Lake depot and spoke to some of the guys working on one of the coaches and they said that this weekend they will start giving rides. they stated they worked out their insurance issues and have the green light. It will be saturdays and sundays through the fall and there will be no charge but they will be looking for donations...i think the first ride is around noon....

#419928  by NHN503

I went up to the Silver Lake RR today and it was a pretty good ride. A Faimont A6 was hauling 2 cars with no problems at all. We went about 2 miles East.

Look for more operations from these guys. :wink:
 #420235  by GP40MC1118

Can anyone give out any info on that green Plymouth(?) on display
there. Saw it in the backround of a photo on NERAIL.

Dave
 #420240  by NHN503

GP40MC1118 wrote:Can anyone give out any info on that green Plymouth(?) on display
there. Saw it in the backround of a photo on NERAIL.

Dave
The #9?

Its former Wolfeboro RR #9, I don't know what it was before that.
 #420270  by GP40MC1118

Ian -

Thanks...the critter is a 20T Plymouth Model ML6 built 12/39.
Originally Stewardstown 6, to Wolfeboro 9.

It has a very interesting history after the Wolfeboro years:
Sold 1979 to P. Turgeon (scrap dealer).
Sold 1991 to J Robinson (equipment dealer)
Sold 1992 to Mel Clark and put on display 1993 at Northampton, NH.
Sold 199? to J. Flagg and put on display at Edaville RR until the end
of Flagg's involvment there.
From there it was presumably sent to the Mont Vernon Transportation
Museum, N.H. and now at Silver Lake.

It should be noted that at Edaville it was incorrectly numbered as
Stewardtown 9. The real Stewartown #9 (Mighty Moe) is still in PA.

Dave
 #420490  by frrc

Plymouth #9 was formerly at the Beaver Brook Transportation museum. Other locomotives, as well as most of the railroad items at the museum, were sold off this past Winter / Spring 2007.

J

#420707  by NHN503

I remember when it was in North Hampton, NH.....I wouldn't really call it a display, it was in the back of a scrap dealer on Rt 1, along with a few CR cabooses. :-D
 #421171  by GP40MC1118

#9 also spend some time on the Old Colony & Newport 10/79.

The North Hampton, N.H. site was/is Mel Clark's.

Anyone know what other critters were sold and to whom at
Beaver Brook?

I believe the black Dragon Cement Plymouth that was also
at Edaville, a small green Cranrail Plymouth and the orange
Jack Flagg RR #5 Vulcan all migrated to Beaver Brook...

Dave
 #421395  by frrc

I recall seeing an ad in the WANT-AD a few months ago selling a number of locomotives and steam tractors from a museum in NH, I'm assuming it was the Beaver Brook Museum.

#421760  by b&m 1566

Where is this Beaver Brook Museum located? Is it new because I have never heard of it before until now?
 #422102  by GP40MC1118

Beaver Brook is the former Mont Vernon Transportation Museum, in Mont Vernon, N.h.

Dave

#425875  by citystation1848

Not to steer off topic of the Silver Lake Railroad, but since it's been brought up, most of the equipment that was on display outside is indeed gone from the Beaver Brook Museum. I happened to be on the road last Wednesday and found myself in Mont Vernon at the end of the day, so I took a drive by the museum, not much stuff outdoors on display. I'm wondering if stuff was sold to help offset the cost of repairs to storm damage?

Photos of the museum's hey-day:
http://www.nashuacitystation.org/nashua ... eaverbrook

In the gallery, all the locomotives under the roof are gone, and it looked like all the steam tractors were gone. I saw the small European Edaville engine I believe and the odd looking steam engine at the entrance.

Matt