Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1517805  by railfaning boston

Hi, I live in west somerville, and my knowledge is that the best chance of catching any freight in my area, is on the Lowell line. Does anyone know of any times that freight (ex: DOBO) may be passing west Medford, I know DOBO at lest commonly runs late at night, But I am getting curious about any other freight movements, because I can hear horns from the line, and after confirming its nor from a mbta train, or downeaster, from looking at schedules, plus the fact that they don't usually honk there horns. This even happens in the day, like when I heard a horn at about 3:25pm yesterday. Thanks for any information :-) .
 #1517920  by l008com

Heres a few pics of the giant beams parked at Anderson in Woburn. Anyone know what they are/what they're for?

Also while I was there, a train of about 9 or 10 boxcars went by headed South. I assume they were headed for Tighe Winchester.

Edit: Looks like the attachment system is broken again so heres some links:
https://i.imgur.com/w4crl6q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qn4jM4V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z6LMSwG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GIYSzSc.jpg
 #1517929  by johnpbarlow

l008com wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:03 am Heres a few pics of the giant beams parked at Anderson in Woburn. Anyone know what they are/what they're for?
I've read on a Pan Am Facebook page that these bridge girders are to be used for the Green Line Extension project. My guess as to origin is Casco Bay Steel Structures of S Portland ME but I might be wrong on this.
 #1518032  by bostontrainguy

That's good. Once the bridge is rebuilt the main can be shifted back east and the Yard 10 lead reactivated. Not a big deal perhaps but it does open up some new operational options like a through direct route down the Lowell Line and west out the Fitchburg Line. Could be useful.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1518932  by l008com

Lately I've been seeing a lot of what look like cement hoppers going through this area, usually headed toward Boston. What is up with these? In years past, something like this would likely be on it's way to, or from, the cement plant in Wilmington. But now that that's closed, where are they going?
 #1518936  by bostontrainguy

I would think they are going to Ciment Quebec which is located in Everett on the waterfront near where Eimskip used to be. It's past the food produce center just before the scrap dealer at the end of the line. Pan Am is now doing this work since CSX decided it wasn't worth it for them to go that far.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1521109  by l008com

They must have unloaded it quick because they removed that atlantic plywood boxcar a few hours later. Around..... 11:30 maybe. It looked like he was also stopping to pickup boxcars at tighe woburn but I didn't take a close look.

Also unrelated to that, it looked like they were welding the tracks a little south of Anderson station. Couldn't get close enough to see what was going on there.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting