Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1476025  by Stephen

BTW, this is sure an impressive train through Wilmington! http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 116350.jpg

Never mind the question of where in the world they could store 62 cars down and around Boston, I imagine it has been a while since this many went through Wilmington in one train.

(photo to credit to Wayne Johnson - Thank you for posting Mr. Johnson, that is a great picture.)

- Stephen
 #1476576  by zski128

Long train on the lead to Iron Horse. Probably around 20 cars or so with empty center beams and box cars and a couple tanks cars. There cars spotted at Tighe in Winchester. 345 has been the Boston switcher for a couple of weeks now. The spur for WCS is still connected to the main I believe, at least the frog is still there. It also looks cleaned up a bit not as much trash and scrap on the ROW.
 #1476902  by b&m 1566

Whatever happened to the purposed service that was suppose to be located on the southside of Eames St. in Wilmington? I know its a superfund site that needs to be cleaned up but wasn't there suppose to be big plans for that area?
 #1476961  by Trinnau

l008com wrote:I would have thought that stuff came over from lowell, and not up from boston?
It does, the crew that works Iron Horse Park (aka Billerica Shops) actually works out of Lawrence because there isn't really much of a yard left in Lowell. Going down the Wildcat and running around at Anderson/Woburn is sometimes more convenient than going via Lowell to get to the Shops. So the train may look like it came from Boston but it really came from Lawrence.
b&m 1566 wrote:Whatever happened to the purposed service that was suppose to be located on the southside of Eames St. in Wilmington? I know its a superfund site that needs to be cleaned up but wasn't there suppose to be big plans for that area?
This is (was?) a private venture called the Wilmington & Woburn Terminal Railway. There is a 10-page thread in this forum on it, but it died out several years ago. Most recent update I could find was this article from November of last year.
 #1478647  by l008com

While pedaling around tonight, I came across something unusual. An MBTA commuter train idling a little ways north of Anderson station. This was around 12:45am or so. Not exactly high traffic time at the station. I'm not sure what it was doing there. Anyone know? Another train passed it but it never moved.