Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1333789  by MEC407

The GP39-2 went to the Ann Arbor Railroad (AA) in Michigan. I was disappointed to see it go — always been a fan of the 39 series — but it was more locomotive than NEGS needed.
 #1333793  by conductorvern

ok thanks! when I worked on the bar I remember seeing lots of them in nmj and the place I do see them now is in fl on Florida sugar, but doesn't the aa have all gp39-2's? lets hope someday big business will come and will need a bigger loco and lets hope and pray the aa will sell it.~ thanks vern
 #1335453  by MEC407

For those of you keeping score, the Ann Arbor 2370 (former NEGS 2370) has been repainted/relettered/renumbered and is now WAMX 3927.

Photo by Michael Harding:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=534600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1341979  by coosvalley

It looks like the engine that came with the train set!

The old NEGS paint scheme was really nice, the UP style paint is just so....unimaginative!..Plus, it's not like there's a shortage of UP-painted power!...Maybe they're trying to fool potential customers that they are the UP!
 #1368906  by b&m 1566

When did the old Lakeshore spur last see train traffic? I just saw a photo of a Alco S2(?) numbered 1008 lettered for New England Southern (ex B&M) on the former branch. The caption said the train was enroute to Grossman's Lumber. I thought this spur was gone before NEGS took over?
 #1368968  by b&m 1566

So, that stint of service must have been very brief coming from NEGS. I believe the state just formally abandoned that one mile segment within the last 10 to 15 years.
 #1391136  by Jackinbox1

My knowledge of them is a bit sketchy, but I think they do runs to 3M about once a month, and then other runs are equipment moves for the Winnipesaukee scenic.
On a side note, anybody know what their track speed is? I'm currently modeling their route in TS 2016.
 #1391185  by F-line to Dudley via Park

rr503 wrote:Wow. Only one customer left. When did the penultimate one shut down?
Nevermind that. At only one per month only during warm-weather months how does NEGS pay the bills on basic expenses like keeping its last locomotive maintained, paying retainers for such seldom-used crews, and paying the phone and electric bill at HQ (if it isn't totally run out of their owner's house now). NHCR can handle being idle for the winter and during down times because they've got the car repair shop and car storage contracts contributing non-trivial side revenue. They can re-animate at will. NEGS has nothing to occupy itself when not running. This can't go on much longer before the owner can't justify the cost of basic bills. Another year or two of this and it's too much expense chewed up before the only logical choice is to fold. They're never getting the NH Main back from Pan Am. Any PAR successor is going to have far more interest in the NH Main than PAR did. And Pennacook simply has zero customer prospects. There's no other place for them to go.

Frankly, at those frequencies I don't see why this is a job that Hobo can't absorb just spiffy. They have the power and crews to head south on rare mileage once a month, and can get a crash course on proper freight handling when the job is as small and intermittent as this one. Unlike NEGS they have enough reasons for existing with their successful excursion business that the pocket change from a run-as-directed freight move is net-positive instead of not paying back enough to keep the lights on. The customer can be permanent even if they aren't frequent enough rail users to sustain NEGS any longer.
 #1391257  by b&m 1566

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Frankly, at those frequencies I don't see why this is a job that Hobo can't absorb just spiffy. They have the power and crews to head south on rare mileage once a month, and can get a crash course on proper freight handling when the job is as small and intermittent as this one. Unlike NEGS they have enough reasons for existing with their successful excursion business that the pocket change from a run-as-directed freight move is net-positive instead of not paying back enough to keep the lights on. The customer can be permanent even if they aren't frequent enough rail users to sustain NEGS any longer.
NEGS probably has to finish out the lease on that section of track. I could see the P&L bidding for it, so they can stay connected to the rail network but I also wouldn't be surprised if Pan Am put in a bid too. With that said, I'm not entirely sure the Clark family would want to become a common carrier railroad; I believe that would force them to operate under different rules, no?