Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#262230  by GP40MC 1116

Does anyone know if the Washout was fixed between Northfield and Concord? I havn't visited NEGS in a month or two and was wondering what was going on over their. Also what time do they usually switch out Manchester Yard? I want to take a trip up their possibly Thursday and was wondering what times would be best

#262234  by b&m 1566

Well according to Peter when he spoke to the passengers aboard the Lakes Region Limited back in May, he said it would take about a week or two to fix it. I would say that the washouts have been taken care of.

#262236  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Well according to Peter when he spoke to the passengers aboard the Lakes Region Limited back in May, he said it would take about a week or two to fix it. I would say that the washouts have been taken care of.
From what I hear through e-mails etc from people associated with NEGS etc. The washout. I got a e-mail today actually saying " the washout hasn't been repaired yet". The only reason I can gather why NEGS hasn't got this finished is because of the lack of personal. On my visits their they only have about 3 maybie 4 people wokring. Once the local leaves to interchance w GRS in Manchester, it leaves 2 people maybie even one depending on the day. I thnk they need a few good men!

#264927  by b&m 1566

Well Bernie you were telling me the other day that the Speeder Club (whatever there called) out of Wolfboro, NH along with some man power help from the PLRR are going to fix the wash out for NEGS. When is it suppose to take place agian? I know it will have to be a weekend job so that way they have the motive power available to get "fill" to the area.

#266195  by b&m 1566

You know............................................................................... SHAKES HEAD...................................................... I never took the time to look at it till now. I can't believe I didn't pick up on it.

#266534  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:You know............................................................................... SHAKES HEAD...................................................... I never took the time to look at it till now. I can't believe I didn't pick up on it.
Isn't that funny :-D

#266586  by febus

i wish i can post on this topic as well, but living in Orlando, this is diificult for me to bring something on the plate. However, it's a pleasure to read both of you as i am interested by New Hampshire past and present (and future?)railroads. So don't feel alone and keep us posted .
Maybe one day you're going to tell us about the reopening of the old northern B and M from Concord to WRJ or thr arrival of the inaugural high speed train Boston-Montreal at this beautiful new Concord station.
Thanks for all the news and keep it up
Antoine

#266646  by Meyblc

I wish I could post more often as well. I grew up in the Southern NH area. I now work for the U.S. Air Force down in South Carolina. Don't get to watch the NEGS to often now unless I'm up there on leave. I follow this board often to see what's happening back home....

Please keep posting

#266649  by b&m 1566

Well then.........I will continue to post!

Bernie stop making new threads....... The quote below can be used in this thread :P
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Not sure of any of you who are in or near the Concord, NH General area. And are railfans of NEGS or Railfans in general and willing to help. But i was informed of this recently. NEGS and CVRTC are reparing the washout that is currntly closing the line from Northfield to Concord, NH.

From the CVRTC Site:

Concord, NH; NEGS Work Ride. All participants must confirm their attendance by phone or email. Set-on is 8am, at West Portsmouth Street (I-93, exit 16) Tracks are just west of the highway

Check http://www.cottonvalley.org/events.html for complete info

#266770  by GP40MC 1116

Look at the Parking lot up their today!

NEGS 2370
FRA T-17
MBTA 1921
And more freight cars than they have space for!

#277172  by b&m 1566

For those of you who are interested, I have some information in regards to NEGS. Bernie and I took a ride up to Concord the other day to speak with Peter and Chris about some stuff. I found a lot of the information troubling. Chris mentioned that Pan Am plans to send an inspection team up to Concord to check the track. Sounds fine right? After all Pan Am owns the track, you can't tell them no... However what Pan Am is trying to do is kick NEGS out! They are after NEGS for whatever reason... god only knows. Pan Am has been trying to find anything to break the contract they have with NEGS. When I made the comment to Chris that it makes no sense, Chris kindly replied with a smile and said "what else is new, it's Guilford, I mean Pan Am". I made the comment to Chris that Pan Am would never service the Concord area and Chris said "your right they won't but they'll be up here the fallowing day after where kicked out ripping up the tracks from Concord to the Bow Power Plant". Chris said not to worry though; its not the first time that Pan Am as done this and is usually something are (NEGS) lawyer’s handle. After talking for a while it was very clear at what Chris and Peter were getting at. Pan Am no longer wants to move cars that need to go beyond Nashua. By the time the train gets to Manchester half of the consist is missing. Customers in the Concord area tell NEGS there should be such and such coming soon and when the get the fax from Pan Am to come get the cars stuff is missing. In turn customers like Blue Seal in Bow, Agway in Concord are starting to turn to trucks to get there supplies. Peter got so fed up with it one day he had one of his employees take a ride down to the Nashua yard to take a look at the place. There were 20 cars sitting in Nashua for days that were supposed to be delivered to Manchester for NEGS to pick up and yet trains had come and gone but the cars Peter and company were waiting for had never been touched. Peter has offered to take over the operations between Nashua and Manchester and though Pan Am as agreed to it Pan Am will not go up on their price; therefore NEGS has yet to take over the operations south of Manchester, which would elevate a lot a problems. It clearly shows that Pan Am wants nothing to do with services beyond Nashua. Trains are always late coming into Manchester sometimes they stop at the Airport and never go any further making NEGS come down to pick up the consist (not in the contract for them to go that far south so there for NEGS is loosing out on money with fuel and such but do it anyways so Peter can service his customers and get paid by them). NEGS had a company a few months back that wanted to settle along the tracks and use NEGS for service and told them they would get an additional 40 cars per-week but when NEGS told them they needed to speak with Pan Am first. The same company called back a few weeks later saying sorry but it's not going to work out.
So why is Pan Am like this? Back when NEGS started out the B&M always delivered on time track conditions were good enough to run at 30mph when today they can't go over 10mph and trains are always late and are missing cars. NEGS had enough customers that they used to run 7 days a week and Peter had crews working for him. Today there are only 8 employees and only run to Manchester 3 to 4 days a week. In the 80's and early 90's an okay week would be receiving 40 cars a week (though at that time 60 cars a week was average for them). Today a great week would be receiving 40 cars a week if that. They had a daily train that ran to Penacook and even use to push cars all the way into Boscwn for a company (I forget the name). Today the line to Penacook hasn't seen a train since a Guilford strike that took place in the late 80's. NEGS lost a lot of customers because of that and lost all the customers in Penacook. Around the time of the strike (2nd strike since NEGS started in 1981) Peter went to the NHDOT to get permission to use the northern line as a back up in case another strike accrued or whatever, this way they could receive the freight from the north but only for a back up option. NHDOT agreed... however around the same time Guilford via a contract had to rebuild some track age south of Concord but instead of using new rails and ties they took the rails and ties from Penacook to rebuild the track south of Concord and stopped NEGS from ever receiving freight from the north, which is why the tracks end in a farm field in Penacook.
Bernie or any one else want to had to this?

#277216  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:For those of you who are interested, I have some information in regards to NEGS. Bernie and I took a ride up to Concord the other day to speak with Peter and Chris about some stuff. I found a lot of the information troubling. Chris mentioned that Pan Am plans to send an inspection team up to Concord to check the track. Sounds fine right? After all Pan Am owns the track, you can't tell them no... However what Pan Am is trying to do is kick NEGS out! They are after NEGS for whatever reason... god only knows. Pan Am has been trying to find anything to break the contract they have with NEGS. When I made the comment to Chris that it makes no sense, Chris kindly replied with a smile and said "what else is new, it's Guilford, I mean Pan Am". I made the comment to Chris that Pan Am would never service the Concord area and Chris said "your right they won't but they'll be up here the fallowing day after where kicked out ripping up the tracks from Concord to the Bow Power Plant". Chris said not to worry though; its not the first time that Pan Am as done this and is usually something are (NEGS) lawyer’s handle. After talking for a while it was very clear at what Chris and Peter were getting at. Pan Am no longer wants to move cars that need to go beyond Nashua. By the time the train gets to Manchester half of the consist is missing. Customers in the Concord area tell NEGS there should be such and such coming soon and when the get the fax from Pan Am to come get the cars stuff is missing. In turn customers like Blue Seal in Bow, Agway in Concord are starting to turn to trucks to get there supplies. Peter got so fed up with it one day he had one of his employees take a ride down to the Nashua yard to take a look at the place. There were 20 cars sitting in Nashua for days that were supposed to be delivered to Manchester for NEGS to pick up and yet trains had come and gone but the cars Peter and company were waiting for had never been touched. Peter has offered to take over the operations between Nashua and Manchester and though Pan Am as agreed to it Pan Am will not go up on their price; therefore NEGS has yet to take over the operations south of Manchester, which would elevate a lot a problems. It clearly shows that Pan Am wants nothing to do with services beyond Nashua. Trains are always late coming into Manchester sometimes they stop at the Airport and never go any further making NEGS come down to pick up the consist (not in the contract for them to go that far south so there for NEGS is loosing out on money with fuel and such but do it anyways so Peter can service his customers and get paid by them). NEGS had a company a few months back that wanted to settle along the tracks and use NEGS for service and told them they would get an additional 40 cars per-week but when NEGS told them they needed to speak with Pan Am first. The same company called back a few weeks later saying sorry but it's not going to work out.
So why is Pan Am like this? Back when NEGS started out the B&M always delivered on time track conditions were good enough to run at 30mph when today they can't go over 10mph and trains are always late and are missing cars. NEGS had enough customers that they used to run 7 days a week and Peter had crews working for him. Today there are only 8 employees and only run to Manchester 3 to 4 days a week. In the 80's and early 90's an okay week would be receiving 40 cars a week (though at that time 60 cars a week was average for them). Today a great week would be receiving 40 cars a week if that. They had a daily train that ran to Penacook and even use to push cars all the way into Boscwn for a company (I forget the name). Today the line to Penacook hasn't seen a train since a Guilford strike that took place in the late 80's. NEGS lost a lot of customers because of that and lost all the customers in Penacook. Around the time of the strike (2nd strike since NEGS started in 1981) Peter went to the NHDOT to get permission to use the northern line as a back up in case another strike accrued or whatever, this way they could receive the freight from the north but only for a back up option. NHDOT agreed... however around the same time Guilford via a contract had to rebuild some track age south of Concord but instead of using new rails and ties they took the rails and ties from Penacook to rebuild the track south of Concord and stopped NEGS from ever receiving freight from the north, which is why the tracks end in a farm field in Penacook.
Bernie or any one else want to had to this?
I would say that you hit it right Brian:

It's s a shame when you have a good ammount of dedicated railraoders who do well despite all the BS they get from Pan Scam. It should be not looked down on that Peter, Chris and the NEGS are very costomer and AWEOSME railfan friendly. Peter knows his costomers he has like first name basis and i think it's one thing that anyone would want . Pan Scam over their, can't seem to get a accurate car count, "Wait do we have 24, the list says 24 but we only have 22" It's sad and thats why their company has one of the badest, if not the worst reputations in railroading. Not to look un-noticed, but the Milford-Bennington Railroad in Milton, NH gets Pan Scamed as well, as NA-1/NA-2 can't deliever their cars on time. Another thing that gets me, Pan Scam says they own the rails to Concord, and you see GRS Track/Signal people working by the Power Plant on Perini Siding and the main line. Why can't they go up to Concord and fix stuff... they have more equiptment, sad thing is, NEGS has less equip, but their harder works then Pan Scam can be. I hope Nashua works out for them hopefully :)
Last edited by GP40MC 1116 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#277218  by GP40MC 1116

Wow i never noticed on the New England Southern topic here, almost three pages! Darn, any bigger we will need a sticky! :wink:
 #278760  by wog820

Now that the washout is fixed, Peter will be able to come up for the cabooses sometime!