Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#226705  by JimBoylan

A customer on TYBR has sent 4 covered hopper cars to Concord, N.H. on NEGS for loading at a quarry or mine in Bow, N.H. The first one was interchanged from ST to NEGS at Manchester, N.H. on Feb. 9, but they're waiting for a new loading conveyor to be installed.

#226744  by b&m 1566

The only customers that I’m aware of in Bow are Quebec Cement, the Bow Power Plant and Blue Seal all of which are off loading customers. I don't know of any other customers in Bow. Is this (quarry company) a new customer? Bow Power Plant sometimes has a flat car or two that they load up. There's some kind of junk yard business in Concord, that loads up and a lumber company in Concord that I believe only receives wood and doesn't send out anything by rail. Quinn-T in Tilton, I'm not sure if they ship or receive. And then there's that loan Customer on the Northern Line that receives some kind of white powder. As far as Penacook goes well, nobody seems to know if there's still a customer up that way. My girlfriend did point out to me though that it doesn't make sense as to why they cleared the brush on the old Concord and Claremont branch when they could have just used the Northern line to store cars on it if the line as no customers going to Penacook. Are trains going to start heading back to Penacook?

#226787  by JimBoylan

b&m 1566 wrote:I don't know of any other customers in Bow. Is this (quarry company) a new customer?
I don't think they've used rail in a long time, especially as they have to get a new loading conveyor. They may be ex-MKT cars.

#226820  by b&m 1566

Yeah I saw the MKT cars sitting next to the tower the other day.... where is this Quarry in Bow, what street is it off of?

#226919  by JimBoylan

Sorry, I don't have an address, and when I asked NEGS, they suggested that it might be in Concord on ST. The customer calls it Bow.

#227196  by b&m 1566

JimBoylan wrote:Sorry, I don't have an address, and when I asked NEGS, they suggested that it might be in Concord on ST. The customer calls it Bow.
Umm what are you saying? I lost you after you said "it might be in Concord". Are you trying to say Concord St. or Bow St.? if there is such streets in the area.

#227359  by JimBoylan

The New England Southern Railroad agent thought it might be a customer on the Springfield Terminal Railroad in Concord, New Hampshire. My customer thinks the shipper and maybe the shipping location are in Bow, New Hampshire. I found an address of 97 River Road, Suite 1 in Bow, New Hampshire, but I don't know if that's the location where the cars are to be loaded.

I just heard that the first car was loaded 3/21, but don't know exactly where!

#228056  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:No the Blue Hopper that I'm talking about you can not see from 93. Behind the strip mall is where Concord's rail yard use to be. It use to be right in between the strip mall and 93. In fact the strip mall is where the train station once stood and if I’m not mistaken 93 sits where the turn table use to be; in fact I think 93 took over some of the rail yard. All that is left of the Yard is 3 storage tracks, one of what use to be two mainline tracks (remember it use to be doubled tracked from Boston all the way to Concord at one time) and a passing siding track that is use for the engines to run around the cars which is located just north of the strip mall and of course that Tower which is used by NEGS as there office. Not to mention B&M’s old industrial area (where Concord Trailways is) that whole are is a grave yard for abandoned tracks. You could spend days finding tracks in the woods, in the pavement, in the dirt.... everywhere. If you want pictures though you better hurry the land is for sale for commercial redevelopment and I have heard of rumors that it could start with in the next few years. If I’m not mistaken Guilford still owns the land but I'm not sure. Let's hope they can get some rail customers in there again.

I was in Concord 3 days this week and saw it myself. It is best viewed from what I can see is if you are driving on Rt 393 in Concord driving TOWARDS Downtown (N Main St Area) as you cross over the 15E exit ramps you look dwon to your right.. The track splits i know that, to the left and right..one part i know is what you had said B&M1566, is it dead ends, the other part snakes thru and heads up allong I-93 to Northfield/Tilton Area, and their were some CC cars and i saw the Blue Hopper as well. Basicall you look right if your driving over the ramp. Not a bad set up for a so so railroad opperation
 #231412  by GP40MC 1116

While I was driving on I-93 with my dad about to get off at Exit 14 I looked over and saw NEGS 2370 heading past the Strip Malls and it looked like it was heading up to Horsehoe Pond Area and up into Penacook. They were brining along 3-4 boxcars it looked like so im not sure were they were headed. Anywho later in the day me and a friend drove down Gas St in Concord right by the NEGS Concord Tower and Offices and no one was anywhere to be seen, they must have been out still, since everyone's cars were still arround. Anyone have a idea where they were going?

#234241  by JimBoylan

JimBoylan wrote:A customer on TYBR has sent 4 covered hopper cars to Concord, N.H. on NEGS for loading at a quarry or mine in Bow, N.H.
2 more cars were released loaded 4/10/6 at 7:00 a.m., at Concord, N.H. on the Springfield Terminal RR., but with a shipping address of Bow, N.H.

#234702  by GP40MC 1116

Well, we all know they have no particular schedule, but i went down their to NEGS land this afternoon, just to see if I would get luicky.. Well...
I hear idleing and a sudden clang and bang......... and you bet ya! NEGS and 2370 ran right past me before i could even say anything haha :-D I was speachless..lol

#236535  by b&m 1566

Does NEGS have a website? I did a quick search and wasn't able to come up with anything but did come across this http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pddnb ... 0&id=tjrp8 At least I know their official address now. GP40MC 1116 either me or you are going to have to asked them if they have a website and if they don't see if they plan on making one. And I want to know what the deal is with Penacook???

#236585  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Does NEGS have a website? I did a quick search and wasn't able to come up with anything but did come across this http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pddnb ... 0&id=tjrp8 At least I know their official address now. GP40MC 1116 either me or you are going to have to asked them if they have a website and if they don't see if they plan on making one. And I want to know what the deal is with Penacook???

Yea Brian, I follow you on that one, all i know is I have a "official business card" with their address and phone number, but thats all i have

#240004  by GP40MC 1116

Well due to my weekly Tuesday trips down to NEGS, it seems to me their workload has picked up, or maybie they just have the same ammount oif cars each week. I was looking down at the yard the other day as NEGS 2370 was getting ready to go to Manchester. It seemed they had over 35 cars.. mostly Cement Cars, and at the end a few flatcars. Maybie im dreaming, i know they have small space for storage, but it seems their getting alot more than they used too Any idea.....