Railroad Forums 

• Stratford RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1359025  by NHV 669

I finally managed to piece together some personal questions on an old line after re-stumbling upon the link to OpenRailwayMap a few days back. After doing a good bit of research, I still have two outstanding questions of the line:

When was the portion south of Lancaster abandoned? I've been wondering for almost two years where exactly Coos Jct. was located, that has been solved. I can understand why MEC abandoned the northern section, as it was a completely duplicate route. However, there remains fair traces of the southern section, all the way into Whitefield, which leads to my second question:

The line is shown to stay to the left of the Johns River throughout it's course in Whitefield proper, however there is a small bridge that stands to this day (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3783896 ... a=!3m1!1e3), that has boggled my mind since i first saw it around the time I was young enough to get a ride on my namesake locomotive. What exactly does/did this go to, or to rephrase my question, what exactly did it serve? The old Brown furniture plant is there, I'm assuming that's a possiblility.

Note: MEC407, move this as needed if you see fit
 #1359098  by b&m 1566

If I'm understanding you correctly the old ROW between Lancaster and Whitefield (Scott Jct., MEC Mt. Div) and further south (Whitefield Jct., B&M Berlin line) was not MEC, it was B&M.

Edit - To the best of my knowledge this section was the original B&M line to Groveton before building a connection at Weumbeck Jct in or around 1931and using MEC tracks up to Lancaster. MEC abandoned Coos Jct., north to Stratford in 1948, in favor of the B&M tracks to Groveton and GT tracks to Stratford.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1359099  by NHV 669

I'm referring to just the section starting at the curve (Whitefield Jct.) running through Scott's to Lancaster at Coos Jct. There's a bit of info on the section north of Lancaster, none on the trackage south of it.
 #1359103  by b&m 1566

Oh, okay I see what your getting at.

Edit - that section of line was still used at least up until 1972 as the B&M still had a customer on the branch at that time. The bridge you are asking about was the track leading to a factory of some sort off of Brown Street.
historicaerails.com
 #1359111  by Mikejf

That was track into that portion of the Brown Lumber Company, which was a mill in that location in the late 1880s-1910ish, when they sold their timberland the Berlin Paper. There is a very nice hand drawn map in one of the books I have. As far as I know, this was never part of the Stratford RR. It started off as being served by the Boston, Concord & Montreal.
You really need the book Lost Railroads of New England by Ronald Karr. He is now into his 3rd edition of this book, and tells you dates when lines were abandoned. The line in question ran from Whitefield Juntion, crossed the MEC, and went to Coos Jct. and was abandoned in 1941. I can recommend more books on the area if you'd like. Several Logging RR books are available too.
 #1359331  by NHV 669

Mikejf wrote: I can recommend more books on the area if you'd like. Several Logging RR books are available too.
Absolutely. Could always discover more old RR artifacts I never knew existed
 #1359954  by eustis22

Whatever happened to that GE 50-tonner the NSRR abandoned in the middle of..Colebrook? Pittsburgh?..back in the 80s?
 #1359967  by ericofmaine

I think that was a 44 tonner and I believe that it is now sitting in the yard at North Conway.

Eric
 #1360016  by Mikejf

NHV, besides the one I already recommended, Logging Railroads Along The Pemigewasset River by Bill Gove and J.E Henry's Logging Railroads, also by Bill Gove are excellent reads, as well as some good info. One book I have that may be out of print now is Logging Railroads of the White Mountains, by C. Francis Belcher covers about the same area, with some maps and pictures that could be of interest. That is a start. I am in the middle of a B&M book for the White Mountains, but have not found anything of real great interest in it yet.
 #1360034  by NHV 669

I believe I've read a copy of the second Gove book, but will look out for the other two. Any B&M/MEC info is relevant to me, as the Gil Ford collection on RRpicturearchives has been instrumental in seeing how big and vast the business was in the glory days of northern NH rail.
 #1363569  by NHV 669

Finally home, I made a trip down to Parker Rd. yesterday, and it appears that I'm a bit too late. The sidewalls are off the bridge, leaving nothing but the deck and supports below, giving me no immediate way to date the structure. I find it rather amazing how many railroad ties exist on this well-preserved RoW, given it hasn't seen a train at minimum in roughly 75 years.
 #1363706  by Ridgefielder

NHV 669 wrote:I believe I've read a copy of the second Gove book, but will look out for the other two. Any B&M/MEC info is relevant to me, as the Gil Ford collection on RRpicturearchives has been instrumental in seeing how big and vast the business was in the glory days of northern NH rail.
I own a copy of the Belcher book. It's fascinating, tons of detail on operations that I never realized existed. Definitely worthwhile if you can get your hands on a copy.
 #1363780  by NHV 669

Took a trip down to Littleton Public Library before heading north into NHCR territory, this morning, and they are loaded with source material: I got Karr's third edition, as well as The Rail Lines of Northern New England by Robert M. Lindsell. They have Belcher's book as well as, it seems, all of Gove's books on the area. Looks like I've got plenty of reading ahead of me.

Final Edit: main reported OOS 1932, due to acquiring of trackage rights over the MEC, puts that question to rest. So, that leaves us with a RoW and bridge to the former Brown plant that has been without a train or maintenance for over 80 years, yet miraculously preserved despite "frequent spring flooding" of the Johns River. Thanks to all who helped provide info, especially Carr's Lost Railroads of New England, Third Edition.
 #1414243  by NHV 669

Some excellent new info via Scott Whitney pictures via a Conrad Ekstrom Facebook page on the Berlin Branch:

The brown furniture spur, and track down to Parker Rd., Whitefield were existent into at least the early 70's. Lindsell's and Carr's books do not address this portion, I was unaware until this new info procured itself within these last few days.