Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1549181  by NHV 669

Lamoille Valley would be LVRC, the plow at Conway and the two hoppers still in the woods in Whitefield are probably the only things left carrying those marks.

With the exception of some heat restrictions, the detours have been pretty steady, running as a turn job out of Burlington sometime just before 7. They pass through WRJ roughly 1030-noon, swapping trains at BF with GMRC 263/264 and have been returning roughly 1500-1700 back north through WRJ.
 #1552880  by NHV 669

The Middlebury tunnel reopened yesterday, with the 432 leading a 7-coach OCS run through at 1005, followed by RDBD with 431/308, which then added 432 for the run up to Burlington.

Here's footage of the OCS run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFikmy1oTk
 #1557628  by backroadrails

I guess I should have waited a few minutes before posting that, because a friend of mine sent me a message almost immediately after regarding the unit. I guess the D&H 5019 that was on the Adirondack branch for years was also moved with it. Although it is unconfirmed, I have heard that it is destined for the Batten Kill.
 #1560712  by CN9634

I'm told from a VRS source (Not world's greatest railfan) that VRS is working out an operating agreement with CP to run from Newport to Farnham. Again, I had heard that CP is pushing to shutdown Whitehall and route all VRS traffic via Farnham, but we'll see if that ultimately pans out... in any case, would be nice to see VRS secure the line for added longevity.
 #1560716  by roberttosh

I can see CP wanting to let VRS run the line, but in terms of shutting down Whitehall, that would seem like an extremely circuitous route for much of their traffic, like the Petroleum products moving from Albany. Furthermore, the VRS' main system does not connect with their Newport line so you would also be introducing another carrier into the mix. I can't imagine how this would ever work.
 #1561206  by newpylong

That would not be good for VRS at all. That means back hauling nearly all of their tonnage up over the ruling grades of the GMRC. Plus paying more carriers to get it down to BF.

That's a good way to push the business to NS and CSXT in the south.