Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1540079  by NHV 669

Leased specifically to help with this project, since they'll have to go the long way over the CV, to get back to BF from Burlington. I heard somewhere it was possibly delayed, but this virus situation and the ensuing suspension of Vermonter service have probably given them a better window to get the work done without having to contend with multiple trains over the detour route.
 #1540219  by NHV 669

The work is apparently not deemed essential at this time and is indeed still delayed, so the units will likely be stored in Burlington until the project gets the green light to move forward. They're on the B&R job returning north at the moment.
 #1540304  by NHV 669

Units made it to BD this morning.

Today's WACR WJNP brought 30 OMYA tanks into St. J, likely for storage, sounds like the effects of the digester explosion at the mill in Jay, ME hit traffic quite hard.

The weekend slurry shuttle to Portland was only 23 cars as well.
 #1542909  by Fritz

Casey,
What is interesting is that there are currently no cars stored at Ely, Bell, or Willoughby, all of which had cars stored last winter and/or summer. They must be expecting a large number of cars.
Best,
Fritz
 #1542927  by NHV 669

The strings at Bell are finally gone? That has been an expected sight along Route 5 for some time, as with the group of St. J cars you mentioned coming back that I posted above. I'll agree with your assessment, they can hold quite a few cars at some of those spots.
Is the siding at Summit still full of tanks, or is that clear too?
 #1542998  by Fritz

Casey,
The summit siding at Willoughby (formerly known as Summit) has been empty since sometime last year, but, as of last week, there's roughly ten cars at the north end. Not sure if they will add more or move these elsewhere.
Best,
Fritz
 #1547817  by NHV 669

One supposedly leaves BD at 0700, the other is supposed to depart BF around the same time; that was the only note I've seen of the moves. Dunno if the trains just get a fresh crew and go, or if that is just their OD time. Sounds like a chance for some good daylight shots on the old CV.

Edit: (1021HRs) Sounds like the southbound was through Waterbury around 0830. A Coca-Cola box truck has hit the underpass at East Road in Milton, that may throw a wrench into NECR ops today.
 #1547916  by NHV 669

The SB didn't hit WRJ until after 1100, and the NB didn't pass through there until after 1600. Perhaps a later departure from BF? It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Amtrak re-enters the scene before the project ends in late September, if these happen to be regular running times.

Today's SB passed through Essex at 0740 per a local observer with just 7 cars.
 #1548989  by highrail

I spotted this on the NHN in Rochester NH yesterday...I am guessing that this is Lamoille Valley...had not seen this before. I wonder how many cars are left.

Steve
Attachments:
lamoille valley8801.JPG
lamoille valley8801.JPG (755.13 KiB) Viewed 2083 times