Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1456325  by fogg1703

NHV 669 wrote:Supposedly starting tomorrow, WACR will run one train, one direction each day. NPWJ (mon), WJNP (tues), etc.
Is this a seasonal downturn issue or lack of carloads from CMQ issue? Can I assume CMQ has taken over switching their customers in Newport again?
 #1456508  by NHV 669

Going to go with the latter. Based on near daily reports, some days the traffic is 10+ cars southbound, with seasonal/random longer trains. Some days, they'll run light, due to a missed connection, or perhaps only with a few extra cars if they were over tonnage the day before (likely common with both turn jobs using only one unit). Northbound trains vary, sometimes only 1-3 cars several times. Definitely doesn't hurt to have extra power, and VRS is certainly on the ball at all times service-wise. Not sure with Newport, CMQ has a yard unit stationed there at least recently, but I can't recall a recent photo/report of the switcher off the top of my head.
 #1456551  by Dick H

Anyone know if just one train crew is handling the WACR service now? If it is the Newport based crew,
do the lay over at WRJ (Coolidge Hotel) and take the train back north the next day? Otherwise, it would
seem there would have to be highway (cab or company vehicle) transportation for the crew back to base.
 #1461122  by Dick H

WACR borrowed a plow from the CMQ to plow from Newport to WRJ on February 9th.
Thanks to Richard Deuso for the photo.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=3&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, SJW reported on the VRS Sightings Yahoo Group that trains on the WACR WRJ/Newport
line are back running in both directions Monday thru Friday.
 #1465405  by Dick H

Reported on the VRS/Rutland Yahoo Group, that the with the exception of
the WRJ-Newport WACR line, the VRS has been able to handle snow plowing
duties on the rest of the system with ballast regulators. The "old" days of
the vintage GMRC RS-1 #405 pushing a plow over the mountain appear to
have come to an end. Time marches on.
 #1465439  by Plate C

Have not been out N Bennington way in a bit and was looking for an update so I might catch VRS coming through. Last I recall they were coming through daily to work the feed spot and go on to the interchange, and believe someone mentioned the slurry train is brought down on Thursday and moved on Friday for Pan Am? Assuming VRS is still delivering that train to Pan Am versus having them grab it?
 #1465442  by Dick H

The loaded slurry train no longer goes to North Bennington to PAR.
It is made up on The GMRC route at the top of the hill just out of
Rutland on an extended siding there. It departs for Riverside on
Saturdays. PAR picks it up at Riverside and takes it to Maine,
 #1465482  by Plate C

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Guess that means slightly less photo ops there or is that track at the lake now being used to keep other cars?
Don't know that I ever found a good view at Riverside and never had much luck seeing anything happening down the road at Bellows Falls.
 #1465489  by Dick H

I do not have any current first hand information on the use of the branch along the lake.
Last fall, The VTR was storing LPG cars on that branch, which riled up the NIMBY's. Here
is an article from vtdigger.com dated November 30th. I could find no recent update.

https://vtdigger.org/2017/11/30/town-la ... ous-cargo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From some reports I have seen, the VTR sometimes leaves cars for PAR on the branch, but they do
run down to Hossick Jct. to get their cars. PAR can be inconsistent on interchange schedules.
VTR has run a Rutland/HJ and return job on some Sundays, mostly to move highway salt, I
would guess that is winding down with Spring on the way. I have not fanned at NB since last
fall. However, over the years in warmer weather, there are often a few railfans there when
the Rutland job shows up, One or more of them may have info on that days arrival times.

Regarding Riverside, I am with you, I have never found a way to get good views.
 #1470079  by NHV 669

Yesterday, I recieved a heads up from Chuck Killian that a Sunday extra was headed south on the WACR. This train, with CMQ 3817 and CLP 306 for power, ran through from Farnham, straight to WRJ, including a pickup at Newport according to several folks chasing. I intercepted them just north of St. J, and got two shots:

one at the intersection of Route 5 and main street in St. J:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvjt1sy ... e=youtu.be

and at McIndoe Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETPJ1H ... e=youtu.be

This is supposedly a test/qualification run for CMQ crews to run a joint venture straight from Farnham to WRJ, for traffic interchanged with PAR. I was reminded by KB of the OCS that ran these rails not too long ago.