Railroad Forums 

• 2014 Glory Days Festival in White River Junction 9/13

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1292532  by NellsChoo

http://vtglorydaysfestival.com/index.htm

I searched here and didn't see a current thread about this event. I was curious about the diesels that railroads bring to display, as I have never gone up to WRJ for this. I know that Pan Am is supposed to have some stuff up there, but what about other roads?

Just wondering if it is worth the drive tomorrow...

JD
 #1292608  by shadyjay

In short, here's what's expected to be at WRJ for the event:

Amtrak's exhibit train, with a P40 and P42, both in Phase III
Pan-Am Railway's Business Train with the FP-9 "sisters"
Pan-Am Railway's two Heritage-painted Geeps
2 NECR locomotives, one in Railtex "blue and gold" and one in G&W orange & yellow
Vermont Rail System 50th anniversary locomotive & the RS-1

Everything will be there Saturday, but not everything for Sunday.
 #1292701  by NellsChoo

From that Facebook page:

Join us for the 22nd Annual Glory Days Festival in White River Junction, Vermont. We have a tremendous show of railroad equipment planned for display and operations at the 2014 Glory Days. This will include:
• Vermont Rail System 50th Anniversary GP40-2W locomotive
• Vermont Rail System’s Green Mountain RR Alco RS-1 locomotive
• Vermont Rail System excursions between White River Junction and Norwich, VT
• Genesee & Wyoming-painted New England Central locomotive(s)
• Pan Am Railways Boston & Maine Heritage GP9 locomotive. Including the Pan Am Office Car Train, FP9As PAR-1/PAR-2.
• Amtrak Exhibit Train with Amtrak Veterans P42 and heritage F40PH locomotives
• Claremont & Concord GP9R locomotive
• And more equipment being planned - stay tuned to the FB page for updates!

In addition to the static and operating displays, a night photo session will be held for photographers on Friday, September 12, beginning at 8 p.m. Details and cost for this event will be posted in the coming weeks.

Along with all the railroad equipment the Glory Days Festival will showcase children's and family entertainment, the Carz Carclub car show, train ride excursions and antique tractor show. A variety of food and novelty vendors will be selling goods too. Downtown WRJ shops and restaurants will be open for your eating and shopping pleasure.

This years Glory Days Festival is Free to enter. Excursions and other rides and activities will have a nominal fee.
 #1292781  by shadyjay

Just got back from the festival. A great time, though overcast skies. Shortly after 2, it started raining so we left, having seen everything. Picked up a few DVDs by Tell-Tale Productions. Equipment was positioned pretty well, NECR equipment seemed to be hiding off "in the shadows", but with limited track space at WRJ, it was bound to happen. By off in the shadows, I mean that NECR's G&W-painted locomotive was behind the Amtrak exhibit train, so one had to walk down the platform to see it. And off to the far left was the original blue & gold NECR. No presence this year from the Claremont Concord. The Pan-Am equipment looked great, unfortunately the business train was not open for public viewing. Amtrak's exhibit train was bracketed by Genesis "Phase III" units on the main station track (CV side). Amtrak's SB Vermonter boarded passengers today from the grade crossing via the siding.

My hats off to everyone involved with the planning and organizing the festival and for getting the various railroads to contribute equipment!