Railroad Forums 

• PROJECT 3713 now on FACEBOOK!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1259383  by Cosmo

Project 3713 to restore the B&M 4-6-2 at STEAMTOWN is now on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/Project3713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like, join, contribute!

PS: Moderator, please feel free to make this a sticky/global as you see fit.
Thanks!
 #1259655  by Noel Weaver

I gave money years ago with a long since expired date of operation promised. I would not consider any help again and suggest they get the remains/parts out of Scranton and to someplace where something concrete will take place. Nelson Blount would turn over in his grave if he saw the situation that presently exists at Steamtown. NO THANKS!!!
Noel Weaver
 #1259693  by CannaScrews

Noel:

I sympathise with you. But I hope you realise that just about any restoration project from the Flying Yankee to the 470 to the 39 is fraught with unknowns.
Perhaps the worst of it is the organisation, lack of initial funding and lack of a comprehensive plan. It seems that the most successful efforts have been the one with the least publicity (CNJ 113???) or the most support/funding (IRM's restorations).

I regard "the big push"/publicity efforts as just publicity & may shovel a few bucks that way. Most fundraising is driven by the organization getting grants, twisting elbows, making contacts etc. Putting a "donate now" Facebook page will get a few dollars (maybe) and a whole lot of people wondering when the next image will be published.

I would like to live long enough to see 3713 come out of Nay Aug tunnel with a brace of coaches.

I just feel that it is much easier to want to do something, get lotsa people to also want to do something, than do it. The ones that "do it" don't always have the time to publicize their projects, and that is the real problem. Projects that are moving along and would need a few extra bucks are the ones that need the help.

Steamtown is unique. It takes time for things to happen there - even the rebuilding of the shop switcher (26) took longer than planned, but the work they do there is pretty good.
 #1259765  by Dick H

It appears that 2014 will be the second year in a row that there will be
no Steam in Steamtown. Which leads me to ask, have any jobs in the
shop been eliminated and if so, how many and which craft? I understand
it takes a few shop personnel to keep the diesel loco and a few cars
operational, but not personnel skilled in steam locomotive repairs. If
the full shop crew is still on board, what are they doing these days?
Maybe some of them have located to the Strasburg Railroad. While
many projects there do take a while, they seem to know how to get
things done. If the necessary financing could be found to finish the
job, maybe the 3713 should be shipped to Strasburg.

I agree that the restoration of a steam locomotive is a huge undertaking,
operationly and financially. However, it does seem that the 3713 could
end up as an abandoned project at some point.
 #1260038  by Otto Vondrak

I'm the first to recognize the complexity of any steam locomotive restoration, but the B&M 3713 seems to be yet another in a series of "unfunded mandates" that have been handed down in the last 20 years. Another locomotive torn down without a comprehensive plan for its rebuilding or funding sources (never mind solid business plan to recoup all the money invested into it over the years).

PRR 1361 was torn down around the same time the work on 3713 began in 1995... They finally cancelled the restoration of 1361 in 2010, but it's still no closer to cosmetic restoration and remains in pieces.

Look, it's real easy to point out the failures of preservation, especially steam. But 3713 seems like a money pit. The folks behind the project would do better with more realistic updates and projections rather than issuing ugly model trains as penny ante fundraisers. "By the end of 2014, we expect to have the running gear assembled... By the end of 2015, boiler repairs will be complete..." etc.

Steamtown without working steam... There are so many serviceable steam locomotives looking for a home, you'd think one or two could make their way to Steamtown for a season? Ah well that's a discussion for another thread ;-)

-otto-
 #1260141  by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm the first to recognize the complexity of any steam locomotive restoration, but the B&M 3713 seems to be yet another in a series of "unfunded mandates" that have been handed down in the last 20 years. Another locomotive torn down without a comprehensive plan for its rebuilding or funding sources (never mind solid business plan to recoup all the money invested into it over the years).

PRR 1361 was torn down around the same time the work on 3713 began in 1995... They finally cancelled the restoration of 1361 in 2010, but it's still no closer to cosmetic restoration and remains in pieces.

Look, it's real easy to point out the failures of preservation, especially steam. But 3713 seems like a money pit. The folks behind the project would do better with more realistic updates and projections rather than issuing ugly model trains as penny ante fundraisers. "By the end of 2014, we expect to have the running gear assembled... By the end of 2015, boiler repairs will be complete..." etc.

Steamtown without working steam... There are so many serviceable steam locomotives looking for a home, you'd think one or two could make their way to Steamtown for a season? Ah well that's a discussion for another thread ;-)

-otto-
Otto, I pretty much agree with you here. I wonder how Cotton Belt 819, Georgia 290 or some other large suitable steam engine would do here BUT I also wonder about the abailtiy of the management of Steamtown to provide for their proper care. I think they have some highly qualified people there but they don't seem to support them when they need support. I still do not hold out too much hope for any sore of a future for Steamtown when it comes to steam locomotive operation, display - yes, operation - no.
Noel Weaver
 #1260403  by Cosmo

If anyone would care to READ a little bit before commenting:
"
Welcome to the Official Website for the Restoration of...
Contact Us
The project to restore Boston & Maine No. 3713 is a partnership between
The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Rwy Historical Society and Steamtown National Historic Site."
Everyone likes to point the finger (or should I say- "GIVE" ) at Steamtown NHS, but they are CLEARLY not the ones spearheading the restoration effort.

A bit further research yields the following link:
http://www.project3713.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
complete with a link to their latest newsletter there for anyone to read and follow.
L&WVRHS has had it's share of hurdles, but they are indeed making progress.
But please, don't let facts get in the way of your own judgements. Your mileage may vary.
 #1260880  by Badandy

Noel Weaver wrote:I gave money years ago with a long since expired date of operation promised. I would not consider any help again and suggest they get the remains/parts out of Scranton and to someplace where something concrete will take place. Nelson Blount would turn over in his grave if he saw the situation that presently exists at Steamtown. NO THANKS!!!
Noel Weaver
I agree. I donated a sizable amount to to this project back in 1999. That was over 15 years ago. Hell, after all that time, it doesn't even
begin to look like a locomotive yet. I'm all done, too.
Andy
 #1261303  by jbvb

There are skills which are necessary to get something this big accomplished. One is fundraising, the other is project management. The L&WV people have not let the fire go out, but neither is it blazing, and the web site & current fundraising efforts could use some help. But Scranton is a long way for me, and I already have 3 or 4 retirement projects nearer to hand, and once it runs it will be in Scranton, owned by Steamtown, which see.