Railroad Forums 

• Narrow gauge trackage near the U.S.S. Constitution?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1250314  by Trainman101

Did a narrow gauge railroad ever run around the Charlestown drydock area near were the Uss Constitution is parked? It looks like an extra 2' gauge rail is in the middle of the standard gauge rail next to the gaurd shack. Or it was just the crane trackage in the middle of the standard gauge.
 #1250385  by B&M 1227

My father used to work at the constitution museum, and I vaguely recall what you're referring to. I believe it was crane rail. If you follow it, either the crane rail or the railroad veers off between some buildings, but the frog is still there.
 #1250495  by Teamdriver

B&M 1227 wrote:My father used to work at the constitution museum, and I vaguely recall what you're referring to. I believe it was crane rail. If you follow it, either the crane rail or the railroad veers off between some buildings, but the frog is still there.
Here you go , move through the site , much more , sweet !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbost ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbost ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1250789  by doublebell

The extra rail by the guard shack is because the shack was once the scale house. There was a gauntlet track there so only the car being weighed went on the scales.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
 #1250866  by B&M 1227

I believe the trackage he's talking about is beside the dry dock that the steamship used to be in. After making the left to walk towards the museum from the scaleshack area, the trackage is a few hundred feet down the drydock past the museum entrance. Unless the OP is talking about a different section?
 #1251160  by Trainman101

doublebell wrote:The extra rail by the guard shack is because the shack was once the scale house. There was a gauntlet track there so only the car being weighed went on the scales.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
Thanks! Ive been walking by that for years and always wondered what it was for.