Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned loco? (Bay Colony GP9 #1701)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1259102  by BandA

KEN PATRICK wrote:as i have posted. fra needs to tell all railroads to scrap everything on the rails that is abandoned.

this falls into that category as well as the switcher next to the boston convention center.
i grow weary of seeing various railcars sitting in weeds. last time i looked, some derelict boxcar was sitting at 'tremont' . been there for years full of railroad junk.
the facts are that these railroad folk don't want to spend the money to clean up their operations. the railcar in sandwich. railties in the weeds catching fire. time to impose 'clean railroads row 'federal legislation. ken patrick
I agree about used rail ties, which are hazardous waste. But railroads should feel free to store their empty and drained cars anywhere they want.
 #1259108  by MaineCoonCat

BandA wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:as i have posted. fra needs to tell all railroads to scrap everything on the rails that is abandoned.

this falls into that category as well as the switcher next to the boston convention center.
i grow weary of seeing various railcars sitting in weeds. last time i looked, some derelict boxcar was sitting at 'tremont' . been there for years full of railroad junk.
the facts are that these railroad folk don't want to spend the money to clean up their operations. the railcar in sandwich. railties in the weeds catching fire. time to impose 'clean railroads row 'federal legislation. ken patrick
I agree about used rail ties, which are hazardous waste. But railroads should feel free to store their empty and drained cars anywhere they want.
There was a discussion in the Grafton & Upton Forum about "old ties" and disposal.

I posted the following on 24 May 2012:
papabarn wrote:Just to add some fuel (or creosote) to the fire here....
The Railway Tie Association wrote:How are wood crossties disposed after their useful life in track? (about ¾ of the way down the page) Wood crossties have many recycling and disposal options. The best source of information are these two publications Management of Used Treated Wood Products and its companion Addendum For the Western United States. Please note that California and other western states have additional requirements under certain circumstances and you can consult the Western Wood Preservers Institute for the most up-to-date information. Crossties are also used for landscaping timbers and a significant quantity are burned in approved co-generation plants to produce electricity and gas. More information on this is available under the heading Why Wood Crossties?
Additional information on topics such as the safe disposal of used crossties and special regulations is also available under Environmental Literature.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency wrote:Preliminary Risk Assessment for Creosote In December 2003, EPA announced the results of its preliminary assessment of potential health risks, as well as ecological effects and environmental risks, associated with creosote. The assessment includes an evaluation of the potential risks to handlers and post-application workers from exposure to creosote. Creosote is a possible human carcinogen and has no registered residential uses. It is primarily used on utility poles and railroad ties. It is important to note that since this draft risk assessment is in the public review and comment phase, its findings are preliminary in nature and are subject to additional analysis. It is, therefore, premature for EPA to reach conclusions about the potential for creosote-treated wood products to contribute to cancer risk in workers and handlers of this wood. The full preliminary assessment is available for public inspection in EPA's Docket (# OPP-2003-0248). The Federal Register Notice can be found at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr.
A search for "creosote railroad tie disposal" of the Mass. DEQE's section of Mass.gov failed to turn up any regulatory information, so I'm wondering if there even is an issue here.

Disclaimer (aka. "the fine print"): It wouldn't be the first time I missed something and it probably won't be the last.
Disclaimer (aka. "the fine print"): As always, your mileage may vary..
 #1259109  by NHV 669

time to impose 'clean railroads row 'federal legislation. ken patrick
it has been clearly pointed out here that this equipment isn't abandoned.
Besides, why should anyone be in the business of telling others how to run their companies, what to scrap, what not to scrap? If you don't own the property, why should you be telling someone what to do with it?
 #1259116  by Cosmo

And as I have posted before, it is not the job of the FRA to do such a thing.
 #1259165  by NHV 669

Cosmo wrote:

And as I have posted before, it is not the job of the FRA to do such a thing.
they best go after that equipment that has been sitting on the tracks just out of whitefield, nh for nearly 20 years now, if not longer.
 #1259199  by MBTA1016

BandA wrote:

BandA don't feed the troll. Just some friendly advice
 #1259468  by MaineCoonCat

NHV 669 wrote:they best go after that equipment that has been sitting on the tracks just out of whitefield, nh for nearly 20 years now, if not longer.
Out of curiosity, is that the long string of cars visible on Google Earth between Hazen Rd. and the Daniel Webster Highway (U.S. 3)?
 #1259480  by KEN PATRICK

cosmo/mbtafan-
i'm not 'trolling'. i'm providing experience-based opinion. the reason we have junk 'stored' on track is that the responsible parties are too cheesy/lazy to do the right thing. the fra can easily issue regulations . and it isn't really a financial hardship to cut up obsolete equipment. the price of scrap will offset the scrapping costs. i've found that row scrapping is only underwater if you need to landfill the ties. hence the railroad aversion to do anything other than dumping old ties alongside. it's time the fra put an end to railroad practices of using their track and row as junk yards and landfills. i didn't drag my feet when njt asked that we remove their dumped ties alongide trackage we leased from them. ken patrick
 #1259526  by fl9m2004

If 1701 where to be moved to a railroad museum how much would it cost and what railroads would make move
I'm sure some railroad musuem where engine was first built like the Illinois railroad museum would accept it
And would they replace prime mover and other stuff if accepted
 #1259543  by GP40MC1118

Why? Despite its looks, it is a functioning unit. If anything, should Bay Colony
calls it quit on the Millis line, they'd move it to North Dartmouth where it would
likely be an organ donor for the 1705/1706 duo. From there it'd be a short ride
to Mid-City Scrap (Like what happened to the 1703 & 1704).

There is a rumor that a over-dimension load is coming to the line. Got a car
number, but no movement is showing from Philadelphia.

D
 #1259578  by Cosmo

KEN PATRICK wrote:cosmo/mbtafan-
i'm not 'trolling'. i'm providing experience-based opinion. the reason we have junk 'stored' on track is that the responsible parties are too cheesy/lazy to do the right thing. the fra can easily issue regulations . and it isn't really a financial hardship to cut up obsolete equipment. the price of scrap will offset the scrapping costs. i've found that row scrapping is only underwater if you need to landfill the ties. hence the railroad aversion to do anything other than dumping old ties alongside. it's time the fra put an end to railroad practices of using their track and row as junk yards and landfills. i didn't drag my feet when njt asked that we remove their dumped ties alongide trackage we leased from them. ken patrick
Ken, you really don't know much about the FRA, it's purpose, or it's directives, do you?
Look, I could poke holes through each and every one of your arguments here, but this is neither the forum nor the thread for it. If you really want to debate these things with fellow "industry insiders," I suggest you start your own thread on such issues in the proper forum.

Now,... about that over-dimensional load... :wink:
 #1259603  by MaineCoonCat

Cosmo wrote:I suggest you start your own thread on such issues in the proper forum.
Motion seconded...
 #1259631  by NHV 669

papabarn wrote:
NHV 669 wrote:they best go after that equipment that has been sitting on the tracks just out of whitefield, nh for nearly 20 years now, if not longer.
Out of curiosity, is that the long string of cars visible on Google Earth between Hazen Rd. and the Daniel Webster Highway (U.S. 3)?
no, those are cars being stored for SLR by the NHCR. im talking about the 4 or 5 cars visible off the right side of 116 headed up the hill out of whitefield (RR south). they've been sitting there since i was around 5 or 6, and i hit a quarter century in two weeks. NHVT, who I believe owns/owned them, took care of the rest of their junk pile in the old yard across the river when they left town in the late 90's, yet left these few cars sitting there
 #1259637  by Cosmo

NHV 669 wrote:
papabarn wrote:
no, those are cars being stored for SLR by the NHCR. im talking about the 4 or 5 cars visible off the right side of 116 headed up the hill out of whitefield (RR south). they've been sitting there since i was around 5 or 6, and i hit a quarter century in two weeks. NHVT, who I believe owns/owned them, took care of the rest of their junk pile in the old yard across the river when they left town in the late 90's, yet left these few cars sitting there
Guys, guys- PLEASE!
This is the G&U thread, not the NHN thread! :wink:
 #1259700  by MaineCoonCat

NHV 669 wrote:
papabarn wrote:
Thanks! Sorry for the digression.