Railroad Forums 

• Stored 0-4-0 near Clarks?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1214071  by Trainlover479

I was looking through the Surviving Steam Locomotive database and when i was looking at New Hampshire, it listed that a locomotive, Simons Wrecking 0-4-0T #6, is in storage across road from Clark's Trading Post, Lincoln, NH. Can anyone confirm this? what is her condition?
 #1214564  by b&m 1566

I believe that's the engine sitting at the entrance to Loon Mountain.
 #1214591  by Pat Fahey

Hi
First lets clear up some information dealing with the first post , ex Simons Steel was numbered # 1 not 6 . She was built by Baldwin ,in 1925 not Alco in 1915 . This information came from Guide to the Collection which was a handout at the old Steamtown .
Next the engine sitting at Loon Mountain is NOT ex Simons Steel , she is ex New England Wood Preserving # 2 , which became Koppers #2 , engine was sold to Ed Clark in 1954 . Engine became White Mountain Central RR in 1969 . This information came from
Steam locomotive information http://www.steamlocomotive.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is a photo of EX Simons Steel at the old Steamtown in Vermont .
Ex Simons Steel # 1 old Steamtown
(66.49 KiB) Downloaded 4402 times
 #1254572  by JohnR19

The locomotive is at Clark's Trading Post,but not open for public inspection. according to steam locomotive.com under steamtown usa ,bellows falls' vermont,locomotive is Simon's wrecking #6 built by alco[cooke].Also locomotive sitting out in front of Loon Mt. was built for watertown arsenal,ma. sold to all three different paper companies operating in lincoln,nh before being sold to Ed Clark.
 #1324803  by JohnR19

WHich 0-4-0 the one by Loon mountain,or the one at Clark's trading post that is not on public display,or the one they run for White Mt.Central days. WHich of the 3 do they want.
 #1324959  by JohnR19

The 0-4-0 engine you rode is a german engine that has a tender on it.The 0-4-0T is the one sitting out on the kancamangus highway in front of Loon Mt. that at one time was also owned by Clark's Trading Post,along with the other 2 0-4-0T that they have on there property.
 #1325094  by p42thedowneaster

http://whitemountaincentralrr.com/history/locomotives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm only seeing two standard gauge 0-4-0T steam locomotives in the Lincoln area. The Kopper's engine is at Clark's and it is operational. The other engine is at Loon's entrance and had been EB&L #3....surely #3 would stay in the Pemi valley?
 #1325245  by JohnR19

The other 0-4-0T is not listed on their website. But they do own Simon's Wrecking #6 which is not on display. Pictures of it can be seen on Steam locomotivedotcom under surviving steam locomotives in the USA, under the new hampshire listed views.
 #1325507  by b&m 1566

JohnR19 wrote:Kancamangus Highway
You mean the Kancamagus Highway :wink:
 #1325539  by bml54

they wanted it for a static display I met mr. hartlett the general manager of the csrr and that's what he told me.
 #1325642  by JohnR19

Since they just moved the 0-4-0T by Loon Mt., so they could build a new bridge.I think maybe Clark's would sell them Simon's Wrecking, their other 0-4-0T that is not public display or on their roster.