Railroad Forums 

• Central CT Freight Rail Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1207175  by bwparker1

Was out and around central CT today for work and had the opportunity to visit two businesses that are not served by rail but are hoping to be in the mix shortly...

Berlin Recycling Plant - Switch was severed due to a double tracking project or as part of the New Haven Hartford Springfield project. This one puzzled me as I checked and the double track is really just a connection to a switch that leads to a long industrial stub. Is there a new customer on this siding? It seems to lead to what google maps identifies at the Corbin Russwin plant, but the spur seems paved over from aerial imagery. Very strange indeed. The contact at Automated said they are still waiting to get their spur re-connected by Amtrak.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Berlin,+ ... t&t=m&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also was able to visit RED Technologies in Portland, CT. Spur recently rebuilt by the PWRR using concrete ties is ready to go, but RED is still waiting for permitting approval to use the spur and to erect a structure around the building. There was no sign of re-construction at the old USA C&D operation, totally shut down after the roof collapse. Also, the old Smurfit-Stone building appears to be in use by someone, but no signs that rail is at all involved in whatever operation has taken over the building.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Portland ... t&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BWP
 #1209119  by SJT

I work at Automated, and yes we lost our connection to the Springfield line, but it was when a new switch was installed to the old spur line that went to the Corbin plant. The Christian lane crossing was removed sometime in the last 5 years or so. I really can't remember when it was removed. The track was cut and removed, not paved over. As far as I know the rest of the spur is still in place to Corbin, I know that the track is in place around the plant itself. As long as I've been at Automated that spur was not connected to the main line. It may have been while the double track was still in place but I've traveled that road for over 30 years and I don't ever remember seeing a train cross Christian Lane. The new southbound facing switch was installed to the old spur for CWPM who have started shipping out Demolition material. They have added two sidings in there to aid in switching and they have a small critter to move their cars as needed. I've been able to catch CSO switching them out on their north bound trip back to Hartford. BTY, the new switch that was installed looks like it may be a high speed switch and is on concrete ties and includes a movable frog. I found that out one day when they were assembling it and talking an Amtrak foreman. I suspect that was done in anticipation of the return to double track in the area. I do have some pictures but am having trouble posting. I'll try and find a way to do that soon.
 #1209129  by TomNelligan

The very much intact trackage up the hill at the Corbin plant is an interesting and now isolated ghost that hasn't seen a train in decades, probably not since the Penn Central days. That spur to Corbin came off the New Haven's branch to East Berlin and Middletown, which is the ancestry of the track that curves off to the east at Berlin station.
 #1210151  by bwparker1

SJT wrote:I work at Automated, and yes we lost our connection to the Springfield line, but it was when a new switch was installed to the old spur line that went to the Corbin plant. The Christian lane crossing was removed sometime in the last 5 years or so. I really can't remember when it was removed. The track was cut and removed, not paved over. As far as I know the rest of the spur is still in place to Corbin, I know that the track is in place around the plant itself. As long as I've been at Automated that spur was not connected to the main line. It may have been while the double track was still in place but I've traveled that road for over 30 years and I don't ever remember seeing a train cross Christian Lane. The new southbound facing switch was installed to the old spur for CWPM who have started shipping out Demolition material. They have added two sidings in there to aid in switching and they have a small critter to move their cars as needed. I've been able to catch CSO switching them out on their north bound trip back to Hartford. BTY, the new switch that was installed looks like it may be a high speed switch and is on concrete ties and includes a movable frog. I found that out one day when they were assembling it and talking an Amtrak foreman. I suspect that was done in anticipation of the return to double track in the area. I do have some pictures but am having trouble posting. I'll try and find a way to do that soon.
Thanks SJT. Does Automated have plans to reconnect to the new siding and begin using rail? Also, if you can't post photos, send me a private message and I'll help you get them up here for the benefit of the readers.

- BWP
Hartford, CT
 #1214380  by bwparker1

An update from our friend SJT:

"Update. My boss had mentioned to me that they were looking into getting our switch reinstalled. Well, today he calls me looking for a key to the rail gate so he and 2 gentleman from G&W and B&P could get out to look at the tracks on the Springfield line. They had been asking him if he knew where the switch had been and he told them that that I would know the answer which I explained to them. They were a bit surprised at how far away it was in relation to where the track enters out property, and more important, they didn't understand why Amtrak took the switch parts with them. So I guess that is an switch ownership question? I was also able to explain that when Amtrak had laid the new siding for CWPM they had placed a switch panel in a place that I knew would not line up with our siding, and they couldn't figure out why it was placed there either. One guy said that was about a 50K switch sitting there. What's more strange with that switch that's on a siding, is that it's on concrete ties and does not have all the switch components. They speculated that someone must have misread the plans and put it in the wrong place. They also figured out where the switch should have been placed and also took plenty of pictures of the area. Anyways, i guess they were able to get enough information for them to figure out what they have to do next. It will be interesting to see what happens. I imagine it will take some time but I'll keep you posted."
 #1216167  by ccutler

maybe its not a mistake? Are there insulating rail joiners nearby on the siding? there may be a standard of distance from the main track for detection purposes. But hey, what do I know?
 #1216408  by SJT

bwparker, that is a great shot of our plant. If you notice where the CWPM siding takes that turn to the left is where they think they can put in a no.6 switch to reconnect us. According to my boss the project is moving forward but I don't have any time table as to when it will happen. And as I said before I'll keep those interested informed on when it actually goes in! As my old plant manager and I used to say, we'll believe it when it comes in the gate!!!!
 #1216720  by newpylong

Looking back at it, I guess it could be done by running it along your fence for a bit and go in at a weird angle through the gate. Certainly not where I would have places the turnout but if it works...
 #1216881  by bwparker1

So I posted something similar over at the CTShortlines Yahoo Group, but am interested if anyone on the board knows about the enclosed double stack containers mentioned...

I can confirm there was a long CSOR train, southbound this past Saturday evening. I was in the right place at the right time, returning from Hartford's EnvisionFest to the public parking garage behind the Legislative Office Building. My kids and I watched it roll by, 99 cars or so... There was a Capitol police officer parked there that counted the cars. Two engines. It was a large mixed freight, quite a few low sided, CSXT gondolas, high sided C&D Debris gondolas, some SIMS metal management gondolas, some covered coil steel cars, a few Centerbeam lumber cars, a few box cars, a few tanks, a couple random flat cars. Also, one double stack car of containers, which I am 99% sure is for MSW outbound, or perhaps HazWaste such as asbestos. See photos.

ANyone know about these strange doublestack waste containers, and who the CT customer might be?
CSOR Power
(133.27 KiB) Downloaded 5856 times
MSW Cans?
(200.38 KiB) Downloaded 5856 times
- Brooks
 #1217007  by rjones2

Brooks,
Has the customer in Portland, CT begun shipping out asbestos yet? This was the new shipper by the construction debris facility.
 #1217116  by bwparker1

rjones2 wrote:Brooks,
Has the customer in Portland, CT begun shipping out asbestos yet? This was the new shipper by the construction debris facility.
I know for certain they ARE NOT active at this time. They actually plan to enclose the spur with a building when they get the final approvals to use the rail siding from the CT DEEP.
 #1219371  by FLRailFan1

bwparker1 wrote:So I posted something similar over at the CTShortlines Yahoo Group, but am interested if anyone on the board knows about the enclosed double stack containers mentioned...

I can confirm there was a long CSOR train, southbound this past Saturday evening. I was in the right place at the right time, returning from Hartford's EnvisionFest to the public parking garage behind the Legislative Office Building. My kids and I watched it roll by, 99 cars or so... There was a Capitol police officer parked there that counted the cars. Two engines. It was a large mixed freight, quite a few low sided, CSXT gondolas, high sided C&D Debris gondolas, some SIMS metal management gondolas, some covered coil steel cars, a few Centerbeam lumber cars, a few box cars, a few tanks, a couple random flat cars. Also, one double stack car of containers, which I am 99% sure is for MSW outbound, or perhaps HazWaste such as asbestos. See photos.

ANyone know about these strange doublestack waste containers, and who the CT customer might be?
photo 1 (Large).JPG
photo 2 (Large).JPG
- Brooks
99 cars?? was it a CSO train or a CSX train?
 #1219823  by boatsmate

CSO train. CSO hauls the cars for CSX from Springfield to New Haven and Back. (CSO 1 I believe) this includes engine swaps also.