Railroad Forums 

• NECR Trackside book by Kevin Burkholder (or lack thereof)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1204615  by nydepot

In the Spring of 2013, I pre-ordered this book:

http://steelwheelsphotography.com/necrguide2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with PayPal. The book is still not released. It was supposed to be out last year but was "held" so it would be updated with info due to the G&W Railroad purchase.

I've emailed the author (Kevin Burkholder) both via the link on the site and via other addresses I've found (like Eastern Rail News, etc). No response. He posts constantly to various sites updated with current railroad news and uploads photos to some of the rail photo sites so I assume he's not sick or otherwise physically incapable of finishing the book.

Anyone have any word on this book or how to get a hold of this guy? I'm way past PayPal's 45 day limit for a refund. Am I just out the $20?

Thanks,

Charles
 #1204627  by MEC407

He does post photos and sightings quite frequently, so I concur that he's probably not incapacitated or lacking a way to access the internet.

I sent him an email a month ago regarding a different subject and I never received a reply. Maybe he's just one of those people who doesn't like to answer emails.

Nevertheless, when taking someone's money, I think one has a greater-than-usual obligation to respond to customers' inquiries. Perhaps he'll see this thread and get in touch with you.
 #1209882  by nydepot

Just a thanks to those who responded (all but one through PM). I have since called and left messages that the phone numbers provided all with no answer and no luck. I've also talked to PayPal and since I'm past their 45-day window, I'm out of luck on their end. So I'm out the $23 but on principle, I shouldn't have to be.

I guess people can use this as a warning when dealing with Steel Wheels Photography.

Charles
 #1209959  by Otto Vondrak

I just got a txt from Kevin letting me know he is awaiting the final roster renumbering plan to put into the book, and he expects to have it printed by the end of September.

This is probably of little relief to folks, but I thought I would pass it on nonetheless.

-otto-
 #1209978  by MEC407

Thanks for the info, Otto. Hopefully that means that Charles will eventually receive what he paid for. :-)
 #1210013  by nydepot

Yes, I would still like the book but I also think that completely ignoring an issue isn't good customer service. I wish him no ill-will, just a simple return of an email or call. He could have told me the new September timeframe and I would have been happy.

Charles
 #1230638  by nydepot

It's now the end of November ;-)

Charles
Otto Vondrak wrote:I just got a txt from Kevin letting me know he is awaiting the final roster renumbering plan to put into the book, and he expects to have it printed by the end of September.

This is probably of little relief to folks, but I thought I would pass it on nonetheless.

-otto-
 #1252048  by MEC407

Did you ever get your book?

I heard from someone else who ordered this book and still has not received it.
 #1266874  by nydepot

No book. I think he took several people for a ride.

The book has been scrubbed by Mr. Burkholder from his Facebook page and the Steel Wheels Photography website where it was originally advertised has been shut down.

He is still active though.
 #1268159  by nydepot

No announcement.

He owns Steel Wheel Photography, which had the book advertised. Since Christmas or so, that site was scrubbed and given up.

http://steelwheelsphotography.com/

He made comments on his Facebook page about closing down all his websites, although ERN still exists. No reason was given. His Facebook page also had the book for sale but he removed that post. So the book is no longer advertised.

He is still doing photography and is still active. He just took everyone's money. Too bad the magazines still use his photos.
 #1268190  by Dick H

The book was $24.49. KB seems to have had an "inside relationship"
with the VRS and the NECR and other New England railroads in the
past. Whether that is still the case remains to be seen. At any rate,
I doubt that the management of the NECR would appreciate having
been "taken" by providing details and information about the railroad
for a book that was never published. Of course, with the sale of the
NECR to GWI, the management involved with the book may be long
gone. I have no idea on how many fans ordered the book, But, let's
surmise that 202 did. KB was able to pocket $5,000, less maybe a
few bucks he expended in starting the project. Railfans, beware.
 #1268232  by Dick H

KB still apparently has "inside information".
He posted today on Yahoo Groups with
"plans" of details for a loco on a VRS
excursion this coming weekend.

Also, still showing his Steel Wheels
website on his posting.
 #1268234  by MEC407

Mr. Burkholder just posted this on the NERails Yahoo Group in response to someone who asked about the book:
We have finally gotten all out hurdles cleared and are hoping to have them shipped in the next month - depending in turnaround from the printer. We have the list and packaging ready as soon as the books arrive.

They will be up to date with the planned NECR renumbering inclusive.

Additionally working on an updated VRS guide to have reviewed by VRS before sending to print.