Railroad Forums 

• Otter Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#9412  by jayrmli

Does anyone remember this tourist road? I remember riding on it as a kid in the early 1980's. What ever happened to the railroad and the equipment?

Jay
 #9590  by zz4

I can't help but some comments.

It is kind of a forgotten operation it seems. Maybe I'm in the wrong place but this is Rutland,Vt ??

I never rode the train but I recall it being kind of 'busy' in tourist season. I have no idea who was behind the operation but it used rails of the Claredon&Pittsford that went to various quarry operations.

Last I was there I think was prior to you and my hobby then was trying to find remnants of the Claredon&Pittsford. (I hope I spelled that right) The railroad was still servicing some customers in the Rutland area.

I guess largly unknown it folded up and somehow became a name in the family of the Vermont Railroad. Prior it was the D&H that came into Rutland from the west?

History of the C&P ??

When I was there central Rutland was still filled with tons of old Rutland RR freight cars.(70's?-80's?)

I could wonder who even got rid of all that old trash. Trash? Those old Rutland cars looked antique but guess nobody wanted them.
 #10402  by Steam

Years ago my wife and I rode the Otter Valley RR.

It was a short piece of the old Clarendon & Pittsford which wound its way up out of the valley where it connected with the former Rutland RR at Proctor.

It consisted of a switchback if I recall correctly. The ride ended up on ths side of a hill with a view down the valley.

The cars were open style with a canopy overhead, and I think the locomotive was an ex-B&M S-1 type Alco which was numbered "ONE" (not "1").

The diesel was painted brown with yellow stripes.

I don't know what became of it all, but a trip past there a few years ago revealed the line has been abandoned.
 #10444  by CVRA7

I think the locomotive ended up at the Seaview Railroad in Rhode Island.

#11064  by jayrmli

I believe the locomotive (or one of them, I don't know how many they had) was of Long Island heritage. Is that engine still now in Rhode Island?

Jay
 #11133  by Steam3713

Otter Valley #1 eventually ended up on the Hobo Railroad--actually owned by the Plymouth & Lincoln RR. It runs today with its originally B&M number: 1186.

There were a couple of ex-LIRR locomotives stored at Otter Valley for a while--both Alco's, an RS-1 and a switcher if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what happened to them.

#11545  by Alcoman

I have photos of the Otter Valley locomotive .
I may also have a shot of it on the Seaview.
I will post a link to themin the next couple of days.