Railroad Forums 

• Disposition info: CVAL/Valley 154 (heavyweight diner)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#315446  by dbaker4572

Ernie,

If this is something you might be interested in, restoration of the Lion Gardiner, I also would be interested. I am sure we can find a handfull or so of volunteers that would be interested as well.
 #315636  by H.F.Malone

A handful of volunteers would be a good start, but you're gonna need a few bucks, too.
 #325078  by eehiv

Since the post above, the ESRM has formally decided to give away the diner. The ESRM would prefer to give it to a museum or railroad group that will restore it, or use it for some kind of railroad use. As part of this the ESRM is researching the history of the car, and preparing a detailed report on the car for prospective "buyers". "Red Baron" and "H. F. Malone"'s reports above has been an excellent start. I plan to help by taking some more photos as soon as I get to the car on a sunny day.

As mentioned above, the ESRM would prefer to have this car sent to a new home rather than scrap it, and though there is no hard deadline, there is a feeling that there needs to be some resolution soon. Though it is blocking the CMRR's main line, it can also be taken up the line to West Hurley when the other cars are moved and stored on the siding there to get it out of the way.

What is really needed is an independent assessment of the condition of the car, so prospective restorers could have some idea of what they would be getting into. Perhaps someone knowledgeable in this area could go to Kingston, see the car in person and make such an evaluation as part of the process of finding the car a new home.

Anyone who wishes to communicate directly to the ESRM should contact Dakin Morehouse who is in charge of resolving this issue. Dakin is the Station Master at Phoenicia and an ESRM board member. Please contact me privately for Dakin's email and phone number.

Ernie Hunt

Member, Empire State Railway Museum
Volunteer Coordinator, Catskill Mountain RR

Last edited by eehiv on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

#325116  by red baron

Realistically, while disappointingly so, the likely ultimate fate of the "Lion Gardiner" (based on its condition 20 years ago) will be that of an organ donor. Such a shame, given the relative scarcity of heavyweight diners. In light of the limited resources most museums face, this one is not likely to stumble into a sugar daddy. A few of the kitchen/service area fixtures would be of value (if they are still extant). Guess it won't be the first time the "Lion Gardiner" stopped in Valhalla.
A few VRR veterans undoubtedly recall their cruel and remorseless old foe, one Mr. Ferric Oxide, whose ghostly hauntings of the South Yard have claimed more than one victim. Mr. Oxide is alive and well in many museums across the country........
high carbon steel + air conditioning + deferred maintenance = oxygen + acetylene
 #325991  by eehiv

I understand that the Lion Gardiner is a type D-74 diner. Two models have been made from this type:

HO Scale Walthers New York Central (NYC) Diner Class D-74 for Walthers Kit No. FP-3H.

and

O Scale Precsion Scale Co. PSC-16441.1 NYC D-74 Diner, 1925 Pullman built, no AC, FP Pullman Green, LTD NYC.

I understand the other class D-74s were NYC #380-384, MC #146-149, D&H #154.

Does anyone know if this is the last type D-74 diner left?

EH

#348610  by CatskillMtnRR

Hey Guys, Just figured id drop a line or two about the ol' Lion Gardiner.
Hate to say it but restoration isnt a cost effective option for her. For one thing, both the side and center sills are shot and the carbody, floors and roof are in pretty much the same shape. Only things worth salvaging are the trucks, brake gear and a few odds n ends pieces. In a nutshell, the car is grade A Junk...

Its too bad though, wouldve been nice to run a dinner train with a D&H diner in the consist.....

Regards
Jason D.
CMRR
 #355549  by eehiv

Maybe this is the old gal's last gasp for help, but she made the February, 2007 issue of Railpace, p. 34.

Though Jason is correct that the car has deteriorated and would be much more difficult to restore than the other CMRR coaches, its value now derives exclusively from its historic significance. This us why it was brought by the ESRM from Connecticut more than 20 years ago as it is the last NYC Heavyweight diner in existence.

There has been interest in saving this car, either as an operating car, or as a static display, so we hope that it finds a home soon.

EH

PS - as they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.
 #472404  by eehiv

I thought I should post this update on the Lion Gardiner.

Plans are to bring the Lion Gardiner back to Kingston this winter so that it can be placed on a panel track in the Kingston Yard, which will be expanded this winter.

If there is any interest in restoring it, the car will remain on the panel track so that a potential restorer can stabilize the car until the resources are available to fully restore it.

If there is no interest in stabilizing the car for preservation, it will most likely be scrapped, though any items of value would be saved.

As the time comes closer to move this car and ultimately decide its fate, I will post more updates.

EH
 #1333509  by eehiv

The CMRR is disposing of or moving all its equipment in storage west of Kingston. To date the two CNJ cars have been sold to the Everett Railroad, and we will be moving former EL 4322 to Phoenicia for restoration. This leaves the Lion Gardiner which currently is blocking our main and can't be brought into Kingston because of a restraining order on the car from the City of Kingston. We need it off the property by July 1st.

The Colebrookdale railroad has offered to take the car and keep it safe until it can be restored. The cost of shipping the car to the Colebrookdale RR is now being raised at this link:

https://fundly.com/save-the-lion-gardiner-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I myself have pledged funds to the move and we are thankful that the Colebrookdale RR is willing to take on the car. We hope that it can be saved.

EH

PS - the car was primed last year and most of the windows were covered with plywood. Car was moved further up the line last year and can be viewed at this video at about 3:30 - its the fourth passenger car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUiPB1o82Cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;