Railroad Forums 

• Mount Washington Cog Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#728714  by Mikejf

I am willing to go out on a limb here and guess the wild life preserve was not asking for tips. More than likely, they were asking for donations. Big difference. Donations to a non-profit organization keep it alive. Helps with the everyday necessities it needs to survive. Tips ,on the other hand, supplement the income of the tip receiver. It does nothing to support the organization.
I have traveled a lot and visited my share of Tourist Railroads. Cog is the only one that has ever demanded tips in the fashion they do. And unless you have ridden on the Cog and can speak from first hand knowledge, don't bother speculating about what they do at the end of their ride.
If I go again I will do exactly what I did the last time. Say thanks on the way by and go about my day. No tip.
Mike
 #728816  by b&m 1566

pablo wrote:As I have said now three times, if you don't like it, complaining here will accomplish exactly nothing. As has also been said here, if you don't wat to tip, then don't. Perhaps you missed my post, 3rdrail, where this is not something that hasn't happened elsewhere, too. Don't tip. Simple as that.

If this tip/no tip issue has offended everyone's delicate sensibilities so much, then stay home and post on the internet instead of doing anything. You'll never be asked to tip your computer, unless you get a virus, and there's no sense in complaining about that, either.

Dave Becker
I don't believe people here are complaining on this site, hoping to change the way things are at the Cog. I think most people on here are intelligent enough to understand that in order for something to change; you have to speak to the people who can make it change. This is a site for discussions and right now the discussion just happens to be something that is not painting a pretty picture for the Cog. That's reality, where ever there is good there is going to be a bad side as well. In a week or two this discussion will fade away the thread will fall down the list in the New England Forum and will reappear at the top with something different. Nobody needs to get all up tight as people are only sharing their personal experience and what they think of it. As far as I can see, I must be the only person viewing this thread that was asked not to tip but was simply asked for only a thank you!
 #729189  by Mikejf

Rumor has it, the Cog will be all diesel next year. No steam. Anybody care to confirm that?
Mike
 #729450  by cogger

miketrainnut wrote:Rumor has it, the Cog will be all diesel next year. No steam. Anybody care to confirm that?
Mike
I know there are plans to build a 4th diesel this winter. I guess it could have the potential to eliminate steam, but we'll have to wait and see.
 #730068  by superwarp1

I guess it could have the potential to eliminate steam, but we'll have to wait and see.

If it is it's the end of me ever riding the cog again. Sad what they are doing. I know the workers do a great job but without steam it just doesn't have the magic it once had. Boy will I miss those plums of smoke rising from the mountain that you can see from the Conway Notch train :(
 #735045  by THE COGGER

In response to 3rd rail's oct 19th post. Should you be referencing me. Do keep in min me previous statement of not asking for tips. Indeed I did accept them when offered. Also I have refused them feeling that the individual did not have a good time.
It seems to me that your job offers you union protection. We at the cog do not share in that good life. Up until this year... Come pay day I took pride in knowing I had earned every red cent. Given you continuious whining about us of the Mt. Washington Cog Railway, be asured just a few short years ago cronic whiners like you would have been eaten up and spit out. However nowadays we are over run by a bunch of drones, the drone type that are not worth $2/hr. the drones that have no passion about the patrons that keep us employed, the drones that beg and plead for more money. But we will weed them out. I value the opritunity to educate the public about the history of our unique operation, region and equipment. This operation is built on 140 years of the sweat, pasion and often times not blood of those before us. And I am proud to carry the torch! (with out begging)
THE COGGER
 #735080  by 3rdrail

Do keep in min me previous statement of not asking for tips.
Who is this, Yosemite Sam ?

be asured just a few short years ago cronic whiners like you would have been eaten up and spit out.
Hahahaha!!!
Attachments:
yosemitesam.gif
yosemitesam.gif (29.32 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
 #763184  by cogger

Just looked at the updated Cog website and found this...

"For those of you that still want the nostalgia of an antique steam train, we run a Steam Special at 9:00 am each day. Make your reservations early as this is the only definite steam train each day!"

So, now we know steam is planned each day! That's a good thing.
 #765316  by b&m 1566

Why the 9am departure for steam? Is that a prime trip in terms of riders? - I know days can vary do to the weather.
 #765380  by cogger

b&m 1566 wrote:Why the 9am departure for steam? Is that a prime trip in terms of riders? - I know days can vary do to the weather.
It has to do with running times and schedule. The steamers are slower on the ascent than the diesels. They basically both run down at the same speed. The first trip of the day is at 9. The steamer goes up and stays on the summit until the first diesel arrives. Then they come down as a double.
 #787038  by cogger

I just learned of the death of Walter Mitchell from Mass. Walter worked at the Cog for more than 40 years. If you bought a stamp or mailed a letter from the Summit of Mt Washington, you probably met Walter. Walter was a collector and historian. I am glad steam was still running when he worked at the Cog last fall. Godspeed, Walter