Railroad Forums 

• Mount Washington Cog Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#724116  by atsf sp

Well everyone knows there is a big market for cog engines. :P Maybe a museum will pick it up if all the bids fail.
 #724131  by frrc

atsf sp wrote:Well everyone knows there is a big market for cog engines. :P Maybe a museum will pick it up if all the bids fail.
Yeah, like the cog engine (Tip Top) and passenger car sitting in a collapsed building at the former Beaver Brook Transportation museum in Mont Vernon, NH. Far as I know, it's still there... :(
Last edited by frrc on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #724574  by THE COGGER

In response to you post. I say you do not know where you are going until fully where you come from. The Cog was just a silly dream to the legislature when Marsh approached them for a grant for the right away. The newest to the fleet is in fitting with the core foundation of the cog it's self. However to rape our state's heritage, is absolutly greed based and insulting and should be illegal.
To disrespect us that gave every ounce of our being to preserve a unique operation for future generations, is a wound that will never heal. I have invested every ounce of my soul into the preservation of the steam program on Mt. Washington for future generations. And the thanks I get is to throw the Agiocochook on eBay. Yes all the prodiesel guys and girls do not have a clue. nor does most. Public education about the Steam locomotives of yesteryear is not my job it is my obligation. How many of you out there know exactly what peppersas sounds like running the grade?...... I thought so!
Once a Cogger Always a Cogger!
Right Paul?
 #724584  by 3rdrail

I have invested every ounce of my soul into the preservation of the steam program on Mt. Washington for future generations. And the thanks I get is to throw the Agiocochook on eBay.
Hey "Cogger" -
I'm disappointed that the Cog won't be 100 % steam...but I have to admit that if the sale of one old gal would mean that Cog employees wouldn't make asses out of themselves by begging for tips at the end of a run, then I'd be all for it. I'll miss the steam...don't expect much sympathy from me in the direction of the employees.
 #724655  by Noel Weaver

I am not sure that the diesels will hurt their tourist business very much but as for myself, I was in the Albany area in August
and I was determined to ride a steam train. It ended up being a decision between Mount Washington and Cass, WV. Mount
Washington is a very dramatic trip up a mountain but with diesel power, I don't think it is worth the money for a railroad
enthusiast or somebody with kids who would like the steam experience.
I chose Cass and had a fantastic all day steam train ride up to Bald Knob. Steam was guranteed on every train and it was an
all day ride. We had a mountain although not as dramatic as Mount Washington the railroad is very historic and also very
much a challenge to operate with 9 per cent grades and two switchbacks among other things.
My prediction for Mount Washington is that in another couple of years it will be all diesel operated, the railfans will lose
interest and not ride it very much but it will still do OK with tourists and others. It still is a grand ride up a grand mountain
but in my opinion it is no longer worth going a long distance to ride and at a huge expense as well.
The cost to ride at Cass is a fraction of the cost to ride at Mount Washington and hotels in that area are a fraction of the
cost of hotels in the White Mountains too.
I loved my three days in West Virginia riding trains both steam and diesel and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Noel Weaver
 #724753  by cogger

3rdrail wrote:
I have invested every ounce of my soul into the preservation of the steam program on Mt. Washington for future generations. And the thanks I get is to throw the Agiocochook on eBay.
Hey "Cogger" -
I'm disappointed that the Cog won't be 100 % steam...but I have to admit that if the sale of one old gal would mean that Cog employees wouldn't make asses out of themselves by begging for tips at the end of a run, then I'd be all for it. I'll miss the steam...don't expect much sympathy from me in the direction of the employees.
Let's be sure not to confuse me, (cogger) with THE COGGER. We are two different people I assure you. Not sure why you feel the way you do about employees, nor does it really matter to me, but selling the 3 won't change much or add money into the pockets of employees. And unless you worked there, you'll never really know how awesome those steam engines are. You didn't just open the steam valve and let them go, you worked to get then to the top. No two trips are ever the same and some are way better than others! I am thankful for this forum in that it allows discussion of a unique operation that has changed. We all have our opinions. I was just there this weekend and business was good. Diesel Cog is better than no Cog.
 #724756  by cogger

THE COGGER wrote:In response to you post. I say you do not know where you are going until fully where you come from. The Cog was just a silly dream to the legislature when Marsh approached them for a grant for the right away. The newest to the fleet is in fitting with the core foundation of the cog it's self. However to rape our state's heritage, is absolutly greed based and insulting and should be illegal.
To disrespect us that gave every ounce of our being to preserve a unique operation for future generations, is a wound that will never heal. I have invested every ounce of my soul into the preservation of the steam program on Mt. Washington for future generations. And the thanks I get is to throw the Agiocochook on eBay. Yes all the prodiesel guys and girls do not have a clue. nor does most. Public education about the Steam locomotives of yesteryear is not my job it is my obligation. How many of you out there know exactly what peppersas sounds like running the grade?...... I thought so!
Once a Cogger Always a Cogger!
Right Paul?
Well yeah, once a cogger always a cogger has held true for decades. Some could call it a curse! I am glad to have been able to run and fire those engines up and down the mtn all these years, even when the trips sucked!
 #724795  by 3rdrail

Hi Cogger !
Sorry if you thought that I was addressing yourself. I wasn't. (I actually started off by writing "Hey The Cogger", but it looked awkward so I dropped the "The".) Anyway, I was responding to "THE COGGER'S" lament of being "disrespected" which I found comical as I witnessed Cog Railway employees disrespecting themselves by soliciting tips (standing in close proximity and facing exiting passengers at the car's stairs with cap in hand turned upside down collecting money.) I also observed the grimaced faces on some of the parents with kids who had just shelled out a wad for tickets, who for whatever reason did not want to create a scene (or who were just timid), who obviously reluctantly gave in and tipped. When I got to the conductor/"pan-handler", I passed him and gave him a big smile - only. (For some strange reason, he didn't smile back. I almost wish that he would have said something- then I really could have had some fun. I'm a city kid from Boston.) My son, who was travelling with me didn't know the difference (purposefully so), but for me, and for quite a few others, it put a bad taste in our mouths at the end of what should have been a totally fun trip. Now, if the Cog Railway employees are homeless and in need of food and shelter, please excuse this rant and kindly give me the address to send a donation. However, I thought (maybe I'm wrong) that they were salaried employees (?) (I would hope so at $196 for a family of two adults and two children to ride !) In any event, I can honestly say that in all of my travels that this is the very first time on any public or private conveyance that an operator, conductor, starter, assistant, etc. has ever begged in such a demeaning manner. I believe that even in the 1800's that the career of conductor was looked upon with such dignity and prestige that even they would have scoffed at such gross unprofessional conduct.
 #724963  by THE COGGER

As far as the tips... I myself never had to beg or degrade myself for gratuities. Matter of fact there have been many times that I refused tips from customers that obviously had a horrible trip. I prided myself in my personal obligation to educate the general public about the operation. I would never take a hand out. If I took tips it was because I earned them by going beyond what the customer payed for. And don't even hint that we pimp ourselves out for a financial hand out.
I am just clearly voicing my dislike for a piece of my heritage being raped for commercial gain. After many years of broken bones, blood sweat and tears to try to fill the big shoes of those before me, that left me a precious treasure to preserve pass on and share with all who wish to experience the rich unique heritage of the cog. And to cogger thank you from another for helping carry the flame. I guess some just will never get it unless the were to see what we have seen, done what we have done and the adventures we have whitnessed and been part of.
THE COGGER
 #724974  by 3rdrail

THE COGGER wrote:I would never take a hand out. If I took tips it was because I earned them by going beyond what the customer payed for. And don't even hint that we pimp ourselves out for a financial hand out.
Oh excuse me. I must have misunderstood. Apparently a conductor standing strategically one foot nose to nose from departing passengers in the only narrow stairway that they can exit from a car, holding ones cap turned upside down with an expectant look on ones face must be an old Cogger tradition meaning "thank you for riding with us". :(
 #724988  by shadyjay

Perhaps they don't do it for every trip.... but they did for the trip I was on, that really turned me off to the Cog. They also apparently have a policy not to offer any discount for employees from other railroads, even when a pass is presented - but I put that aside, paid the price to ride, and everything was great.... until the last 5 minutes.

I appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into operating any railroad. However, our rulebook always stated train crew members are not permitted to accept tips... let alone ask for them. If someone wants to tip, then that's THEIR CHOICE and shouldn't feel obligated to give due to an announcement.

I would like to go back and ride, as long as I can get behind steam, and that this tipping thing isn't on every trip.
 #724992  by LIL BUDDY

Not to add more fuel (coal, not bio-diesel) to the fire BUT......

You go into a restaurant and have an overpriced beer or meal. Do you not feel obligated to tip the waiter/waitress/bartender? Don't put money in the tip jar on the bar because "the bartender has his hand out". Do you not tip at Subway or McDonalds....they both have tip jars. Sorry 3rd rail but I have to disagree with you.

cogger and THE COGGER I couldn't agree with you more.

NEVER JUDGE A MAN UNTIL YOU'VE WALKED FOR A WHILE IN HIS SHOES
 #725011  by 3rdrail

You're probably right Lil Buddy, but I have to add that I think that if that is the case, that it's only fair to have the McDonalds crowd take turns running the Cog as I believe that their tips are minimal. Your analysis by comparison clearly shows a similiar level of professionalism of which there is no other railroad on the North American continent which apparently compares. On the other hand, salaried professionals with a learned trade or specialty (of which, apparently all other railroad workers belong) have and will continue to perform their duties without aggresively seeking handouts to cover meager wages. Do you suppose that we could work out a revolving work schedule for the restaurant crowd up there ? How about McD's in Nov., Dunkies in Dec., and Denny's in Jan. ? "You deserve a break today, so get up and get away, to Cog Railway..." (Actually, I think that McD's and Dunkies discourages tips- so much for carrying the flame.) :(
Last edited by 3rdrail on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.