Railroad Forums 

• Maine Ski Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1096576  by Cowford

"Sure, why not?"

Because you'd be missing a great opportunity: You could redeploy the train during the week to operate weekday commuter service between Mechanic Falls and Groveton.
 #1096588  by CN9634

Cowford wrote:"Sure, why not?"

Because you'd be missing a great opportunity: You could redeploy the train during the week to operate weekday commuter service between Mechanic Falls and Groveton.
Obviously with stops at Norway Ice Cream in South Paris and West Paris with a shuttle service to Trapp Corner store.

But seriously, why is that such a crazy idea of running it up to Bethel, leaving the equipment up there (Unless you can find something better to do with it) and running it back down there.
 #1096702  by Cowford

Trapp Corner store? Dickey Baker can drive the shuttle!

It's simply a matter of economics. Getting little utilization out of such expensive equipment would be cost prohibitive... and add to that the challenges of storing passenger equipment in subzero weather.
 #1144456  by gokeefe

Cannonball wrote:An article in the Boston Globe (2/7/2013) discussing New England ski trains in general and their possible come back.

‘Snow trains’ to the slopes may be making a comeback
I think this is an interesting article about some "boutique" efforts in certain areas, but for the moment we have yet to see the revival of The Snow Train(s) as they were once known. I am fascinated by the fact that apparently there is now an advocacy group that appears to be solely or perhaps exclusively focused on the Conway Branch.

Ironically in all of this mess Maine is far closer than practically anywhere else towards seeing a plan like this become reality. With all track segments between Boston and Bethel active along with all necessary station facilities a Maine Snow Train could happen much sooner and much faster than practically any other project. As mentioned before there are some perfectly usable passenger cars stored in Rockland in the winter time which are used to operate the Maine Eastern's excursion service in the summer and the fall. Running such a service as an Amtrak charter would obviate the need for a new legal arrangement with PAR.
 #1166657  by trainhq

Well, why not just get the Maine Eastern train and run it up there? I mean, the cars are
just sitting there during the winter, aren't they? My bet is, it wouldn't take that much
ridership to make it work out if they ran it out of Portland. They could run it up Friday
night, and down Sunday afternoon in time for the 6:50 south.
 #1166668  by TomNelligan

Well, why not just get the Maine Eastern train and run it up there?
Because you first need to find someone willing to sponsor the service and supply the startup funding. The carriers will expect to get paid, and neither the Pan Am organization nor the StL&A is likely to do it on their own, especially since the latter has come under new (G&W) ownership since the days of the Sunday River ski train. If you know any ski resorts with money to spend next season, that's who to talk to.
 #1166961  by gokeefe

trainhq wrote:Well, why not just get the Maine Eastern train and run it up there? I mean, the cars are
just sitting there during the winter, aren't they? My bet is, it wouldn't take that much
ridership to make it work out if they ran it out of Portland. They could run it up Friday
night, and down Sunday afternoon in time for the 6:50 south.
Interesting to think of the transfer arrangement once again, as originally envisioned. At current levels of service from POR it could actually be viable. I think we've all agreed more than once that a "one seat ride" is in fact pretty important.
 #1166963  by gokeefe

TomNelligan wrote:
Well, why not just get the Maine Eastern train and run it up there?
Because you first need to find someone willing to sponsor the service and supply the startup funding. The carriers will expect to get paid, and neither the Pan Am organization nor the StL&A is likely to do it on their own, especially since the latter has come under new (G&W) ownership since the days of the Sunday River ski train. If you know any ski resorts with money to spend next season, that's who to talk to.
The Maine Ski Resorts appear to have had a very good year. Not out of the question to consider Sunday River as a sponsor once again. I have no idea whether or not Boyne has any history with rail operations to their resorts.
 #1229595  by gokeefe

In light of the recent very successful Amtrak excursion on the Northeast Corridor, the continuing track improvements on the Wildcat Branch in MA, the expected new flexibility in the single level coach fleet pool, Section 216 of the PRIIA which encourages Amtrak to run more special trains, and quite simply the onset of winter, I thought it would be a good idea to bring up the Ski Train (aka Snow Train) again.

First and foremost I think the excursion operation in PA was a major game changer. Amtrak made a lot of money on those trains and their reservations and capacity management systems functioned flawlessly. Given the opportunity to do much the same thing again I would think it would be nice if NNEPRA at least considered operation of a "test train" to Bethel. I would propose non-stop operation from Boston North Station and consider adding baggage cars to the train.
 #1229659  by p42thedowneaster

gokeefe wrote: I would propose non-stop operation from Boston North Station and consider adding baggage cars to the train.
I would propose non-stop from Anderson RTC to Bethel ME....Thinking you might get more skiers this way...and they'll (likely) have a secure place to park.
 #1229666  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote:In light of the recent very successful Amtrak excursion on the Northeast Corridor, the continuing track improvements on the Wildcat Branch in MA, the expected new flexibility in the single level coach fleet pool, Section 216 of the PRIIA which encourages Amtrak to run more special trains, and quite simply the onset of winter, I thought it would be a good idea to bring up the Ski Train (aka Snow Train) again.

First and foremost I think the excursion operation in PA was a major game changer. Amtrak made a lot of money on those trains and their reservations and capacity management systems functioned flawlessly. Given the opportunity to do much the same thing again I would think it would be nice if NNEPRA at least considered operation of a "test train" to Bethel. I would propose non-stop operation from Boston North Station and consider adding baggage cars to the train.
I wonder if NNERPA could do the same as the Cape Cod people did with the CAPE FLYER: piggyback on a Downeaster run, using the CAPE FLYER equipment.
That would earn some revenue for the CAPE FLYER folks who otherwise would just have the equipment sit idle in their off-season. OR:

If Amtrak is able to scrounge up enough equipment to run a rather lengthy excursion train like the one recently, I'm fairly confident that they could find 3-4 cars for this service.

Ski package deals would be a plus, too.

A concern would be, though, that if the ski season is lousy, what would the ridership be like? There's not much to do at Sandy River if the skiing isn't happening.
 #1229668  by gokeefe

p42thedowneaster wrote:
gokeefe wrote: I would propose non-stop operation from Boston North Station and consider adding baggage cars to the train.
I would propose non-stop from Anderson RTC to Bethel ME....Thinking you might get more skiers this way...and they'll (likely) have a secure place to park.
I was wondering about that when I wrote the message. I think there might be a need for a two-stop instead of a non-stop train in order to allow people to board at Woburn. The only problem here is that really seems to open a can of worms. If Woburn then why not Haverhill? I could see making only three stops in MA but the lost time from these stops could be quite significant. This is especially true if we are talking about running the Wildcat Branch once speeds are upgraded and the train is actually able to get some good running times over the MBTA.

BON is also attractive to me as the single boarding point for the train because it would provide the best value to the "car free" folks living inside the City who are most likely to be the very best customers of the service.
 #1229670  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:I wonder if NNERPA could do the same as the Cape Cod people did with the CAPE FLYER: piggyback on a Downeaster run, using the CAPE FLYER equipment.
That would earn some revenue for the CAPE FLYER folks who otherwise would just have the equipment sit idle in their off-season.
I was under the impression that the Cape Flyer was run with standard MBTA equipment. Perhaps not? Sure looks like it on their website.
Rockingham Racer wrote:If Amtrak is able to scrounge up enough equipment to run a rather lengthy excursion train like the one recently, I'm fairly confident that they could find 3-4 cars for this service.

Ski package deals would be a plus, too.

A concern would be, though, that if the ski season is lousy, what would the ridership be like? There's not much to do at Sandy River if the skiing isn't happening.
I agree. 3-4 cars probably wouldn't be a problem at all. I'm very confident as well that lift tickets could be included as part of the sale somehow. Part of the reason why I proposed school vacation week was that the skiiing is always good in February. It doesn't matter if it has snowed or not. As long as its cold (and it always is that time of year on the mountains) the resorts can make all the snow that they need.
 #1229671  by gokeefe

p42thedowneaster wrote:
Part of the answer to this may be to run more than one test train.