Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1553737  by b&m 1566

According to the railroad's Instagram account, they will not be shipping out 252 for repairs, they will repair it on property. Unknown when that will take place but I'm assuming it will be a swap out of the 645.
 #1554839  by NHV 669

I can't speak for Crawford Notch and other points east, but the snow is coming down wet and heavy as of 0600 here in Bethlehem, 17 miles west of Crawford Station. Going to be interesting if it's the same conditions over there.
 #1554899  by ericofmaine

About 5 inches on our trip today, a little less at Faybyan’s. Corey did a fantastic job with 4266 and 573, and that includes a couple of runbys on “the hill.”

Eric
 #1556582  by b&m 1566

I made a visit to the railroad this past Saturday the wife and I, spent the weekend up there. The Mountaineer was sold out as well as both Valley trains, we were lucky enough to get tickets for the Bartlett departure. North Conway was bustling with people and the typical traffic that comes with being busy. We saw a lot of No Vacancy signs on the hotels, motels and inns, so businesses was good.
Now I need to vent for a moment, it's nothing against the railroad and everything to do with the abutting land owners. We were seated on the right side of the train (going to Bartlett) and I took notice, to the amount of s*** littered along the ROW, much of it I've never taken notice to before, maybe it's the lack of foliage I don't know but my god people are slobs (most of it seems to stem around the buisness that dot the landscape.) About 1/3rd of a mile west of the split rock, there are old cars that have been dumped down the side of a hill (first time seeing them for myself). The cars themselves look to be from the 1930 and 40's, I can only image the hill was wide open at the time they were dumped there, as the hill is all grown in now, one would have to cut a lot of trees down to get them out. I wish the towns or state could make these people clean up all the trash, it would do a lot of good, both for environmental reasons and overall cleanliness of the land. It was sad and frustrating to see.
 #1556924  by Arborwayfan

Cleaning up a tangle of old cars and trees would be a good little Covid stimulus project, in the miraculous event that the state had money for it: outdoor work, not hazardous like cleaning up chemicals, mix of skilled and unskilled labor, easy accomplished/supervised by local businesses or existing state agencies, probably not a lot of design or permitting required so they could come close to doing it the day after tomorrow, a little bit of compensating revenue from selling scrap metal and maybe even antique car parts -- and as you say, getting rid of trash and eyesores makes a place more attractive to tourists. All that assumes the landowner would be willing to cooperate, of course.
 #1557018  by b&m 1566

A blast from the past: Apparently the state did not officially own the Mountain Division yet, when bids were submitted for leasing the rail line, in 1994. In June 1994 the Transportation Committee, announced the winning bid for the Conway Scenic, which at the time, still needed approval from the governor and the Executive Council, but apparently the Bureau of Railroads & Public Transportation, was still finalizing the purchase of the rail line, which was still under Guilford ownership. Click here to see more.
My question is, when was the sale final? I know the lease was official in September 1994. Also where is the official abandonment notice from Guilford? I looked for it but can't find it. The line in Maine, was officially abandoned on November 17, 1994 but I can't find anything for the state line to Hazen Rd abandonment.
 #1558317  by b&m 1566

The Conway Scenic, will be hosting "Steam in the Snow" on Saturday, January 2, 2021. I'm not sure if this is a MBRRE charter, or if they are running it own their own. In addition the railroad will be offering weekend shuttle train service to Attitash in January and February, which will include daily shuttles for MA and NH school vacation weeks in February. Unknown at this time, if there will be shuttle trains on the weekends in March.
 #1558324  by b&m 1566

As of 2 hours ago, per google updates, there's still an event planned for the 2nd, so maybe the railroad is putting something together.
 #1558906  by Arborwayfan

Not much going on in the CSRR thread, so I thought I'd amuse everyone. Here is a kind of rough video I took of the MBRRE Steam in the Notch excursion from summer 2011. I wasn't on it, but I wrote in to MBRRE and bought a program so I could get the schedule and support the excursion a little bit. Someone on here had suggested that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLIu7lGOHo

I was there with my mom and my little kids, and I just had a handheld digital camera, not really a video camera, so we're talking and the footage isn't that great, but there's good "hardworking locomotive" and steam whistle sound.