Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1546960  by SkiScorcher88

Was fortunate enough to hear the train whistle when the G&U was crossing Old Upton Road & Browns Rd heading towards the Grafton Common. Rode up with my sons and watched the train roll through the center of town. Conductor was very nice - slowed down the train to wave at my kids, who were super excited to see the train!

https://youtu.be/6bZfTXmGuKE
 #1548092  by johnpbarlow

Might be a little forward progress on G&U's intent to buy 155 acres of undeveloped land at Hopedale to build a transload yard:
https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... -parklands

Excerpts:
...selectmen revealed this week that the land owner and New Hopping Brook Realty Trust, a company associated with the railroad and handled by railroad owner Jon Mark Delli Priscolli, are in the process of negotiating a sale, which would render the state legal proceedings moot.

The sale would include the 155 acres at 364 West St., as well as 363 West St., which is about another 20 acres. The new scenario legally gives Hopedale right of first refusal, meaning the town can buy the properties under the same agreement and for the same price...
and:
...A deal between the town and the railroad would have Hopedale give up its right of first refusal and the railroad refrain from developing within 400 feet of three potential well sites. Additionally, the deal would include a land swap that could expand Hopedale Parklands to the Milford and Upton lines, near Mill Pond...
 #1549637  by johnpbarlow

From today's Milford Gazette: "Demolition planned for part of Hopedale’s Draper factory".
Opening sentence:
HOPEDALE — After years of planning, discussion and preliminary work, a section of the old Draper factory buildings is slated for demolition.
And G&U does get a mention although it's not clear how G&U will benefit if at all:
"I’m just going to keep trying to stay in communication ... and be open and willing to be seated at the table,” Schindler [Town Administrator Diana Schindler] said, noting that the same strategy applies to the Grafton and Upton Railroad, a line for which runs through the heart of Hopedale. “I think the key to staying open is to try not to be too attached to specific outcomes.”
https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... er-factory
 #1551167  by johnpbarlow

Article from the Milford Daily News of 8/26/20 "No decision yet on Hopedale land deal". Like many municipalities, Hopedale is struggling financially and $1.3M override to basic operating costs is to be voted on 9/15.

Excerpt:
Railroad representatives have offered the town a deal. Roughly outlined, if the town gives up its right of first refusal, the railroad would refrain from developing near existing and potential future well sites. Possible land swaps, where the town gives some land to the railroad, and the railroad gives substantially more to the town, and close to its existing walking trails, have also been loosely proposed.

Pre-pandemic, selectmen would have until Nov. 7 to decide. But because of the coronavirus, an attorney working for the town told town officials that selectmen would have 210 days after the statewide emergency order is lifted.
At least all parties are still talking to each other...

https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... -land-deal
 #1552177  by bostontrainguy

Most of us saw the reports of RailRunner equipment in the G&U yard but there is an actual video of them running a train of them. This is a very rare video indeed. I don't think we ever got an answer of what is happening here but it certainly is an interesting development if G&U is getting involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q87sg7v ... lasminojen
 #1552180  by MEC407

When I saw the word "RailRunner" I was expecting to see this:
Trainroadrunner.jpg
Trainroadrunner.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3203 times
 #1552245  by johnpbarlow

I haven't see the RailRunner gear on the G&U property in many months. Doesn't mean the bogies, etc aren't there because they could be on the well hidden tracks around the engine house (a la the F7 apparently). But my impression is the bogies could be loaded on the chassis for over the road transit so maybe the whole kit and kaboodle is off the G&U property?
 #1552307  by Hux

Was intermodal mentioned as part of the Hopedale property development?
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1552683  by johnpbarlow

I visited G&U's southern end at Milford and Hopedale last Sunday 9/13/20. The recently built G&U connection (on the left) with CSX Milford branch (on the right) appears not to have seen recent activity as the rail heads are slowly rusting. At Hopedale the main (on the left) and the runaround track were empty, although ~ 4 empty stone hoppers were stored out-of-site down the main beyond the Hopedale St bridge. In pic 3 it looks like a coupled of aggregate silos are waiting to be erected to expand transload capacity (some rail and ties are also stockpiled in the yard)?
Attachments:
G&U Jct Milford 091320 small.jpg
G&U Jct Milford 091320 small.jpg (332.2 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
G&U Hopedale Yard 091320 small.jpg
G&U Hopedale Yard 091320 small.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
G&U staged silos Hopedale Yard 091320 small.jpg
G&U staged silos Hopedale Yard 091320 small.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
 #1553651  by johnpbarlow

Finally the moment we've all been waiting for - G&U files with the STB to acquire operating rights via a 10 year lease of the CSX Milford Secondary 8.4 miles from Milford to Franklin. Mileage includes a couple of miles used by MBTA trains between Forge Park and the junction with the Franklin line (?) at Union St. The little twig to the left south of QVG 8 is the newly constructed G&U connection at S Cedar St in Milford. This provision in the filing is provocative:
G&U certifies that the proposed acquisition of the Line does not involve a provision or
agreement that may limit future interchange with a third-party connecting carrier.
I wonder if this somehow involves linking up to Mass Coastal RR or whatever RR entity might in the future operate freight service to SE Massachusetts and the Cape assuming CSX seeks to reduce its operating footprint in Massachusetts?

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 301126.pdf
Attachments:
CSX Milford Secondary map from G&U STB Filing 093020.JPG
CSX Milford Secondary map from G&U STB Filing 093020.JPG (70.56 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
 #1553887  by johnpbarlow

Article in Milford Daily News re: the land that G&U seeks: "Hopedale residents ask Town Meeting to decide fate of land deal"

Despite Hopedale's most recent Prop 2 override having failed at the ballot box (town has a $300,000 budget gap), 361 residents have signed a petition to transfer the G&U-Town of Hopedale deal's right of 1st refusal from a vote by selectmen to a Special Town Meeting vote scheduled for October 24 where the petitioners hope the townspeople will vote in favor of a $1.2M bond to buy the land to ensure the it doesn't fall into the G&U's hands.
“I don’t want the land to go to the railroad,” resident Sean Reilly said, echoing a distrust of the railroad voiced by other residents. “I don’t care what that environmental study says. I want the land for the residents.”
Of course the RR's property tax paid to Hopedale would go up if G&U acquires the land...

Reminiscent of the angry mob scene from Young Frankenstein...

https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... -land-deal