Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1553119  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

According to the MassDOT bid for the Red Brook Harbor RR crossing project new 115RE rails on new ties with pandrol fastening system and rubber rail seal were to be used along with new signal conduits to be installed. The crossing signals / controls already were replaced in October of 2019 and the existing rail weight on the Falmouth Secondary is currently 107 Lb. dated 1915
 #1553124  by Train60

Thanks for that. Looks like the crossings on this branch are being rebuild at a higher standard than what was done last time they did this work in the 1980s(?). That's a good thing.
 #1553167  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm Good Idea as I e-mailed Chalita Belfield, Director of MA Railroad Properties to see if she would answer the question of who owns the Otis Industrial track. Who knows maybe she will reply ?
The answer is in as I just received a reply from Chalita Belfield and the land swap did not occur and the Otis Industrial Track is still owned by the Federal Government. She said the Otis line was not in good condition and to avoid a potential derailment ties and ballast were added to the Otis track. These safety improvements that took place on the Otis line were funded by Mass Coastal Railroad
 #1553179  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Manafort Construction finished paving the Red Brook Harbor Rd RR Crossing today and is open to traffic. However this morning National Grid was fabricating a new gas line to be installed under the Rail line to the other side but not sure if it was completed yet, so there possibly may be some delays still.
Attachments:
Red Brook RR Crossing Completed
Red Brook RR Crossing Completed
DSCF3213.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2933 times
Red Brook RR crossing paving underway
Red Brook RR crossing paving underway
DSCF3209.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2933 times
 #1553209  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:18 pm The answer is in as I just received a reply from Chalita Belfield and the land swap did not occur and the Otis Industrial Track is still owned by the Federal Government. She said the Otis line was not in good condition and to avoid a potential derailment ties and ballast were added to the Otis track. These safety improvements that took place on the Otis line were funded by Mass Coastal Railroad
Thanks for chasing this detail down.
 #1554305  by CSRR573

I keep seeing pictures of the MBTA gensets on mass coastal. Does anyone know why they are operating down there?
 #1554536  by GP40MC1118

No...they came out of Readville to Middleboro/Rochester back on August 28th. Whether they were stored at Readville or BET prior to that, I don't know.
I do know that last time they went to Davisville, it was last year in October.
 #1555765  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Was in North Falmouth, MA today and see that Railworks still has it's equipment sitting on the siding after finishing up the Falmouth Secondary / Otis Industrial track tie project back in mid September. Haven't read or heard about any further track work in the area so I'm guessing they are just storing it there for the time being as we had our first Cape snowfall today. Any news out there about it ?
Attachments:
Railworks on North Falmouth, MA siding
Railworks on North Falmouth, MA siding
DSCF3220.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1762 times
 #1556110  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:58 pm Did some driving around and found the breach just east of the Old County Rd overpass in Sandwich, right at the cranberry bog. Robert B Our is doing the dirt work, after that I'm unsure.

https://goo.gl/maps/fS1tVkQWZon34Y4D9

20201029_161534[1].jpg
Article in Cape Cod Times / Sandwich Enterprise today about the RR washout in Sandwich. Was very fortunate that neighbors in the area called in that morning as Mass Coastal was headed to the Yarmouth transfer station and would have resulted in a serious derailment with the loss of the crew most likely if it had not been stopped.

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/news ... 178913002/

https://www.capenews.net/regional_news/ ... 1e79d.html