Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1552547  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

The Air Force / Commonwealth of Mass land swap which was listed in the Federal register 8/14/2013 must have been finally been done making the Otis Industrial track MassDOT property which in turn allowed for State funds to be spent on it. The line is looking in the best condition I have ever seen. I believe the only portion of the Rail line still under Federal control is just past the wye by the golf course onto Base property. So now with State ownership of the line will be curious to see what they do with it besides service the transfer station.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... l-property
 #1552548  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 pm Any word on the Red Brook Harbor Rd crossing? I have business to do on Wednesdays at the boatyard every week and I don't want to do a four and a half mile detour
Manafort was still working at Monument Neck Rd RR crossing as of this morning with the track back in place covered with steel plates for vehicle passage. Still have the roadwork surface to do but I would think they would move down the line to do Red Brook next, as it's the last one to do this year on the Falmouth Secondary. They may have to pause to allow MC to do a run out to the transfer station possibly. I will see if I can find out any info
 #1552624  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Monument Neck Rd RR crossing in Gray Gables, MA getting asphalt put down this morning and probably will be completed today. Saw some equipment starting to move down the Falmouth Secondary towards Red Brook Harbor RR crossing which is all marked out by dig safe and project lines.
Attachments:
Finish paving today
Finish paving today
DSCF3151.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2152 times
 #1552697  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 pm Any word on the Red Brook Harbor Rd crossing? I have business to do on Wednesdays at the boatyard every week and I don't want to do a four and a half mile detour
Message signs posted today for the Red Brook Harbor road closing with the RR crossing replacement work starting on Monday 9/21 until Wednesday 9/ 23. Looks like you are going to be on the detour route.
 #1552698  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:04 am The Air Force / Commonwealth of Mass land swap which was listed in the Federal register 8/14/2013 must have been finally been done making the Otis Industrial track MassDOT property which in turn allowed for State funds to be spent on it. The line is looking in the best condition I have ever seen. I believe the only portion of the Rail line still under Federal control is just past the wye by the golf course onto Base property. So now with State ownership of the line will be curious to see what they do with it besides service the transfer station.
I'm not certain that the swap ever went through.

If you look at the Falmouth GIS map
https://gis.falmouthma.gov/gpv/Viewer.a ... 2490034568
and then hover over the rail corridor the system shows that the owner of the land is still listed as being owned by the "United State of America."

Whatever the case, its still great to see the working being done to improve the line.
Last edited by Train60 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1552710  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

No one seems to be able to answer the question who owns it with 100% certainty as that had been discussed at UCCRTS Managers meetings over the years. In order to get the transfer station back in service for rail transport Cavossa had to pay out of his pocket to repair the line to minimum standards in able to use it, while seeking reimbursement from the UCCRTS Managers / Otis JBCC. But I certainly can't see MassDOT spending big $$$$$ rehabilitating a rail line it doesn't own and have control over. Here is the last posted UCCRTS Managers meeting minutes and read under " Old Business " regarding rail line repairs which at that time of 1/23/2019 you get the impression it was still under Federal control due too Federal Rail Inspectors being involved with the operational status of the line.

http://records.mashpeema.gov/weblink/0/ ... Page1.aspx
 #1552807  by malbojah

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 am
Message signs posted today for the Red Brook Harbor road closing with the RR crossing replacement work starting on Monday 9/21 until Wednesday 9/ 23. Looks like you are going to be on the detour route.
Yeah, good luck with that. I'll go see them on Friday instead
 #1552822  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm No one seems to be able to answer the question who owns it with 100% certainty as that had been discussed at UCCRTS Managers meetings over the years.
Interesting.

I'll take a look at the Barnstable Registry of Deeds website in the next few days see what I can find. If the land changed hands the deed would have to be recorded there.
Last edited by Train60 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1552825  by Safetee

several years ago mass dot supposedly was looking into purchasing the otis. however, i suspect that since the otis is still technically a national defense line the dod probably can't legally sell it. but they could lease it to mass dot so that mass dot can keep the line open and maintained. which is good for the national defense and any transloading schemes that might pop up beyond the trash. the latest mass dot rail map that i have seen shows the otis as a federally owned spur.
 #1552852  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

So the question of the day is did the declaration of excess land by the Air force of the Otis railway land in exchange for State of Mass land by Hanscom Air Force base ever take place as reported on the Federal Register 8/14/2013 ? Keep in mind that MassDOT in addition to rehabilitating the Falmouth Secondary has continued on to do the Otis line as well out to the Otis transfer station, but not doing the portion of the rail line that services Base operations.

#1553023  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:07 am So the question of the day is did the declaration of excess land by the Air force of the Otis railway land in exchange for State of Mass land by Hanscom Air Force base ever take place as reported on the Federal Register 8/14/2013 ? Keep in mind that MassDOT in addition to rehabilitating the Falmouth Secondary has continued on to do the Otis line as well out to the Otis transfer station, but not doing the portion of the rail line that services Base operations.

I could find no indication on the Barnstable Registry of Deeds website that a deed was recorded for the transfer of this rail corridor.

You may wish to send a message to MassDOT Rail and Transit Administrator to ask her what the status of this line is. If there is no answer then ask your state rep to contact her to get the information.
 #1553108  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:56 pm Manafort Construction is on day #2 of the Red Brook Harbor Rd RR crossing replacement project at MP 4.87 on the Falmouth Secondary and looks like they will be ready for paving tomorrow
Thanks. Any idea what the weight of the new rail is that the installed on the crossing? From the photo it looks like the rail was attached to the ties with pandrol clips and that a special track joint was used to connect the new rail in the crossing with the existing rail on the line.