Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1541150  by Arborwayfan

I hope they have the cash reserves to survive and take care of at least some of their employees. Assuming the snow trains were profitable, they now look like a brilliant move, getting in revenue and paying wages at a time when I imagine they usually don't.
 #1541454  by arthur d.

Going off on a tangent;
I recently came across a photo taken years ago of B&M coach 204 on a storage track in N. Conway's yard in an online auction. It looks a lot like a similar photo I took 30 or 40 years ago. The question I have is, does anyone know what became of the 204?
 #1541891  by b&m 1566

According to Google they are open for take-out. If they are, its very sad because there's been no announcements or updated news articles since the fire. They are lousy at social media and they don't have a website and frankly in this day an age, it would be a good business practice to have at least one of them going to keep your customers informed.
 #1542798  by Arborwayfan

My lousy video of the MBRRE Steam in the Notch train, summer 2011, taken from a rocky outcrop in the National Forest a little way uphill from Arethusa falls and downhill of the Frankenstein Trestle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLIu7lGOHo. This is the train's arrival; after crossing the Trestle it came back past this point for a photo runby. Or maybe two. I can't quite remember. I had written in and bought the program so I would know the schedule and support the train, since I was going to enjoy it. I think someone on here suggested that to me.

It is shaky, with my family and other people talking, and it's pretty grainy, but I thought it might be fun for people right now, with no new CSRR movements to report for a while.
 #1543090  by b&m 1566

In regards to my last post, Glen Junction is still closed, I drove by the place today, it's all boarded up.
I also drove down North Rd in Conway, to see the final result or the still in progress cleanup effort, of their out of service section of the Conway Branch. The ROW is the clearest I've ever seen it, brush and trees were cut way back, low lying branches removed and the two converted box cars are in plan view again. All the trash that littered the area, is gone too.
 #1543530  by CSRR573

So after hours of falling deep into the youtube blackhole, I came across this gem. A trailer for a movie called 12 dogs of christmas. Only the first 10 seconds are really relevant, would be interesting to find a stream of the full movie to see how much more the RR is filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWtbX7rjs8
 #1543752  by Arborwayfan

gokeefe wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 pm Next stop: Ossippee ...

I'm kidding but one can dream.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How much of the line is gone? Ossippee pretty clearly isn't on the cards for CSRR trains ("Ride our Valley train through the backyards and construction company lots of Conway" :-D would not be a huge draw for tourists even if the tracks were still there.) However, a determined group of railfans and speeder enthusiasts might be able to rebuild a few hundred yards of track to speeder standards, to connect the rest of the Ossippee Branch to the CSRR for occasional off-season speeder trips. Please rate on a scale of totally impossible to moderately crazy. :wink:

More seriously, if CSRR expanded operations I'd guess that it would be trips from places other than North Conway. Running trains between Attitash and N. Conway in the summer, and selling tix from either end, would be possible. Or shorter trips up in the Notch or above the Notch, but either of those would have deadhead moves and compete with the more expensive Mountaineer, so they seem unlikely. Maybe a once-a-week Notch trip starting from Bretton Woods, to tap the folks at the Mt. Washington Hotel and nearby motels? Still the problem of deadhead moves, although maybe they could sell a few one-way tix up the night before and back down the next day.
 #1543763  by gokeefe

If we're going to take a side trip to "Fantasy Island" we might as well make it worthwhile ...

I would say build a platform and canopy just inside the wye at Rollinsford Junction. This would allow for a cross platform transfer from the Downeaster without having CSRX operating over PAR. Sure this requires a rebuild of some track in Conway and the burned trestle too but I'm sure the revenues from ridership would support it (yes I'm talking about unsubsidized fares).

Obviously there are all kinds of complications for Conway Scenic's status as an "insular" railroad but Strasburg seems to get along just fine with that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1543786  by b&m 1566

Opening the line up for speeders, I don't think would be that far fetched of an idea as one might think. The biggest obstacles would be Coleman's and getting them to vacate the ROW and uncover the tracks. They've gone on record and said that they would but that was for reactivation, not sure if they would for a speeder club.