Railroad Forums 

• Pardon, Your Steel Is Showing: Visible Trolley Lines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1524656  by Cosmo

The EGE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:43 pm Here are the tracks in question, which run along Oxford. There was a streetcar track on Oxford - mostly non-revenue.

I believe the sput that Cosmo is think of is on Kennebec Street and is also still visible.
Wow... ok, the two streets ARE parallel, it's entirely possible I thought they were connected. I'm not entirely convinced they weren't, but it's hard to see how they would have both connected to the Union Br. So much of that area has changed over the years, especially around Franklin Arterial.
 #1525353  by arthur d.

Ridgefielder wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm
gokeefe wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 pm Intersection of Oxford Street and Pearl Street in Portland has several feet of tracks showing. Pretty sure this was trolley but not 100%. Any chance this is old Maine Central?
That's trolley, for sure. The old topo maps don't show the Grand Trunk or Maine Central/Portland Terminal anywhere near there.
My just rediscovered P.T.Co. facilities map shows track running along Kennebec st. and crossing Pearl st. in the intersection - that's as close as it got to Oxford - before crossing Somerset at the intersection of Wilmot. Best guess is this was a run around track for yard 7.
 #1532042  by wally

Noel Weaver wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 am Not too far to the north I wonder if any remnants of the old Claremont Railway still exist? It was a trolley and freight line in Claremont, NH with some street operation, grades and sharp curves.
there is a short section on route 12, west of downtown heading towards ascutney, vt, which still has rails in the pavement and shoulder gravel. leads towards the former claremont paper facility. i drove the portion of the road today, and the rails are still visible.