Railroad Forums 

• New Railfan Park to Be Built

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1033837  by Jeff Smith

Pretty awesome idea: New railfan park to be constructed in Chicago suburb
PARK FOREST, Ill. – A new railfan park is scheduled to open along the Canadian National in Park Forest this summer, the Chicago Sun-Times has reported. The park, at Homan Avenue and North Street, will feature a 35-foot high platform that will look out over the junction of the CN’s former Illinois Central main line, CN’s ex-Elgin, Joliet & Eastern line, and the Metra Electric commuter line.

The land for the park was donated by CN as part of a $7.3 million settlement with Park Forest when the railroad bought the EJ&E in 2009. Money from the settlement will help pay for the park.
Cross-posted to CN and then parked in Midwest Forum.
 #1071911  by Thunder

They have a J caboose there, havent seen any fans or been by there in a while. Running around the loop is very cool btw.
 #1089644  by tytrain

I was passing through the area last Friday night so I stopped by. Right now they've built the hill for the ramp, and the J caboose is there, and that's it. I assume any construction/work on the park is done for the winter season. There weren't any signs of recent activity there.

It was an amazing view at the top of the hill and should be a really neat place once complete.