Railroad Forums 

• Laura Wreck 1903-1906?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#779363  by subway1

I'm researching a "somewhat delayed" letter (dated March 1906) that refers to a "Laura wreck" and thanks a Chicago-based baggageman for his exceptional work in dealing with a fire during that incident. The only "Laura wreck" that I've been able to identify is a crash that occurred in Laura, Ohio, on August 3, 1903, between a Big Four passenger train and a freight train. My question -- might there have been any other wrecks in this time frame in Laura, Ohio, or wrecks in any other Midwestern locales with that same name (Laura)?
 #994476  by Ndirish23

My great grandfather died in this wreck. I have several newspaper clippings from the Indianapols news papers and one local OH news paper story that is about this wreck.
 #994962  by Dieter

How far was the wreck site that the Indianapolis papers carried it?

Was it nearby or was the crew from Indianapolis and many casualties?

Thanks!

Dieter/
 #997197  by Ndirish23

Dieter wrote:How far was the wreck site that the Indianapolis papers carried it?

Was it nearby or was the crew from Indianapolis and many casualties?

Thanks!

Dieter/
Both trains - the passenger train #43 on the Peoria & Eastern division of the Big Four and the freight train #93 were based in Indy. Laura, OH is about 2 hours east of Indy and the wreck crew was dispatched out of Indy. The men who died or were injured in the wreck were all from Indy as well. The Indianapolis Star stated that Thomas Devlin, the conductor on the #93, was instantly killed and that Engineer James Maloney and Fireman Thomas Deburger of the passenger train #43 were badly injured. There is also mention of a badly injured "bagger", but no name was given.