Railroad Forums 

• Bellevue, OH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#43040  by WNYRailfan

I plan on taking a trip to Bellevue this weekend to go to the NKP/Mad River museum.

In researching the NKP it appears that there was a roundhouse in Bellevue that was remodeled in 1947.
Does this structure still exist?

How much of the yard and tower(s) are left in Bellevue?

#43348  by nkpcab77

The roundhouse is in fairly good shape, its used for MOW storage. The yard is as busy as ever, keep your eyes open for the handfull of exNKP SD-9s that work there. Lastly Wheeling tower is now used as a signal maintainer base.

#43549  by matt

I can never find decent places to watch the yard when I go to Bellevue. The best place I would imagine would be the rt. 4 overpass but probably not very comfortable up there.

Ideas?
 #43836  by dave_van

I would recommend the location of the old NKP depot on north Buckeye St. All trains from south and west pass here plus W&LE trains. There is a pizza place across the street and a Subway about a block away.

#48115  by MR77100

Who owns what in Bellevue? I know the ex-PRR Sandusky line from the north crosses the NKP line to Toledo. It then merges up with the NKP Buffalo Line for a few blocks before diverging off south of town. I saw a Wheeling & Lake Erie ballest train come south on the PRR and head east on the NKP. East of town, there is another line that parallels the NKP line. What was this line? Also, I do remember seeing an old map of that showed a Big Four line that ran along with the NKP from Toledo to Bellevue. Was it joint trackage or side-by-side running? Also, has the Toledo line always fed into the Buffalo line, or did it once continue straight across?

#48206  by nkpcab77

Every thing in Bellevue is NS except the old WLE from Bellevue to Brewster which is now the new WLE. Originally (not including the Mad River and Lake Erie or the Lake Shore Electric) Bellevue had the PRR Sandusky to Columbus line, now NS with WLE trackage rights to quarrys north and south of town. The NKP from Cleveland to Chicago, now NS with WLE trackage rights to Shinrock to acsess the Huron docks. The old WLE from Toledo to Wheelling. The Diamond is removed and the only original connection was kin the north west quadrent the SW and NE connections were added by N&W. This line is owned by NS west of town with WLE trackage rights and WLE east of town the Diamond was removed about 15 yrs ago. So WLE trains to Toledo have to due some back up moves. Last line the NYC from Elyria to Toledo is abandoned except for some trackage to acsess an elevator and the RR museums coach yard. And, the NYC-NKP interchange track and about a mile of track to the east edge of town that connects to the WLE this forms a SE connection. Trains had a map of Bellevue in an issue a couple of years ago but it has at least ten errors including tracks and buildings that never exsisted I was very disapointed in them.