Railroad Forums 

• Maryland Park, District Line, Seat Pleasant, or Chesapeake Junction?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1538617  by CrustyTrainGuy6

Hi all,

In my forever continuing (It seems) research on the Chesapeake Beach Railway and the East Washington Railway, I've noticed some inconsistencies with the names of the towns located along the route. For example, I originally thought that Chesapeake Junction was located in the modern Washington D.C. community of Dean(e)wood, but I found evidence from an old 1942 Railway & Historical Society bulletin that Chesapeake Junction was instead, the location of the station where the Washington Baltimore & Annapolis met with the Chesapeake Beach.

Before I read this article, I thought that the location of the interchange with the WB&A was at a place known as District Line. I presume that the town of Seat Pleasant grew up around this station but I'm not entirely sure. District Line station was also where the Columbia Railway line (Seat Pleasant line?) of the Washington Railway & Electric Company ended. I believe that the WR&E Co. continued to use the District Line Station as their Seat Pleasant Station long after the Chesapeake Beach discontinued passenger operations in 1935.

Lastly, I originally thought that the shops and maintenance facilities were located in Seat Pleasant, but an old photograph I received taken by Bruce Fales (Someone who actually rode on line) has written on the back that it was taken at Chesapeake Junction. This photograph clearly shows Pittsburgh built 4-4-0 #5 on the turntable at the shops in 1930. I was also informed by the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society bulletin that the location of the shops was also known as Maryland Park. Maybe all of these names described the same geographical area, just at different times?

That being said, whoever clears this whole mess up for me will be next in line to be knighted by the Queen, trust me!

Thanks as always,

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA

P.S. If I'm wrong about any of the above information, PLEASE correct me! I will NOT be offended!

Double P.S. the article is on Jstor and was written by H. G. Boutell in 1942.