Railroad Forums 

• E&N Ry.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#74382  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Impressive list ya got there. I hope you get the 80 ton Whitcomb and 50 ton Shay from the good folks at the Forest Discovery Center. There probably isnt another Whitcomb in all of BC. And a completely operational 2 truck Shay would put the E&N division on the map. A must see for railfans from everywhere. If you guys also got the 1170 you'd have the second largest roster on the island. ( Canfor has 4 SW1200s and a 2 8 2 ):) -2spot.
Yep, we'd have the same amount of locomotives as the E&N(2 GP38's, and 1 GP20).

#74562  by 2spot

Yeah, take nothing away from the E&N,though; its hard to argue with 6000 HP( 2 GP38s, and 1 GP20 ). I'd still rather railfan the roundhouse with its (hopefully) eclectic and locally signifigant array of equipment. Off topic somewhat; are they still logging on the Alberni sub? Is there anyplace to get pics of the old Crown Zellerbach RS3 with a trainload of logs?

#74679  by missthealcos

2099 isn't a GP20 anymore...deturboed. basically a GP18 now.

#74892  by 2spot

Okay, I stand corrected. 5800 HP, thanks Missthealcos. Another correction: I think I remember a little 2 axle Whitcomb that CL&R had that was among thier stuff at Ladysmith. Not sure if its still there. Still some interesting gear there even though the 12 spot went to Lake Cowichan, broken crankshaft and all. I'll have another look next time I'm up there.

#75281  by missthealcos

didn't mena to sound like a nitpicker....just hadn't seen a mention of the fact in other posts where 2099 was mentioned....

#75362  by ENR3870

I think 2099 is still 2000 hp. I seem to recall seeing an email message saying it got the prime mover out of a wrecked GP38. I could be wrong though.

#75366  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Okay, I stand corrected. 5800 HP, thanks Missthealcos. Another correction: I think I remember a little 2 axle Whitcomb that CL&R had that was among thier stuff at Ladysmith. Not sure if its still there. Still some interesting gear there even though the 12 spot went to Lake Cowichan, broken crankshaft and all. I'll have another look next time I'm up there.
The 107 went to Port Alberni with the 8427.

#75387  by missthealcos

That could be...but it definatley doesn't have a turbo 567 in it anymore

#75590  by 2spot

I think the 107 is a Plymouth, around 20 tons or so. The Whitcomb was used at Elk Falls about the same time as 4097. I dont know what # it was at CLR, but it had side rods and 107 doesnt, so theyre not the same engine. I dont know about the 2099s prime mover, guys; but Im learning. Are they still logging on the Alberni sub?

#75797  by ENR3870

About the Alberni logging, I think they're still going. The cars are apparently sitting in the Port Alberni yard. Making Port Alberni look somewhat active again.

#75885  by 2spot

I'll check it out. I've gotta go to Pt.Hardy anyway thursday, it'll just be a side trip. Weather permitting. I was hoping to get photos of Englewood divisions' trains. (I'm a sucker for logging railways) Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks ENR3870.