Railroad Forums 

• AMT - New locos

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#703514  by dmclement

Hi,

AMT has been acquiring lots of new traction lately, namely some NJT F40's & GP40's plus lot's of ex-Amtrak F40's.

Can someone tell me whether ex-NJT GP40 4137 has turned a wheel in AMT service yet? If not, why, and will it ever do so?

Also, I have the following ex-Amtrak F40's listed down for AMT, can someone confirm whether this is an exhaustive list, if I'm missing any or have some in there in error?

226 - Being prepared for AMT service???
271 - Being prepared for AMT service?
274 - Being prepared for AMT service?
301 - Being prepared for AMT service?
302 - Being prepared for AMT service?
411 - Ex-GO Transit 511
418 - Ex-Amtrak 318
 #703636  by Montrealrail

I think that the NJT 4137 was dammaged in the Alstom fire last year,but I seen in service 4117,4118,,4135,4140 and 4143..

the AMT 243 still in repair I think,I did not seen it for a while,for the F40,actually
270,287,293,319,372,400,411 and 418....271,almost on service,just take out from painting.
for the GP9,1310,1311 and 1312,the 1313 are in storage in Sortin AMT parking yard.
For the F59,1320,1321,1322,1323,1324,1325,1327,1328,1329 and 1330.

and for the entire actual roster
Wagons Hawker-Siddeley Serie 1000/1100
Number of seat: 92 with control cab. 90 ou 92 without control cab.
builted in : 1967-1976
builted by: Hawker-Siddeley
Number of cars with control cab (owned by AMT): 9
Number of cars without control cab: 39
in service on the lines : Dorion—Rigaud, Blainville—Saint-Jérôme, Delson—Candiac.
cars historic : used before by Go Transit in Toronto. buyed by Quebec governement in 1994.

Wagons Hawker-Siddely Serie 1200

Same infos than the first serie
Number of cars with control cab : 5, numbered from 200 to 204.
Number of cars without control cab : 27
in service on the lines : Mont-Saint-Hilaire

Bombardier Comet (serie 700)
builted by : Bombardier
builted in: 1989
Number of seat with control cab : 116
Number of seat without control cab : 118
Number of car with control cab : 8
Number of cars without control cab : 16
in service on lines : Dorion—Rigaud , Delson—Candiac and Mont-Saint-Hilaire .

Wagons Canadian Vickers (série 900)

builted by : Canadian Vickers
builted in : 1969
builted for : CP Rail. Transfered to CTCUM, after,to STCUM and fynally to the AMT. rebuilted in 2002,the same numbers are preserved since 1969.
Number of seats with control cab: 154
Number of seats without control cab : 168
Number of cars with control cab : 2
Number of cars without control cab : 7
in service on lines : Blainville—Saint-Jérôme.

Bombardier Multi-Level (série 2000)

builted by : Bombardier
builted in : 2004-2005
start service : 20 th of febuary 2005,that day,the service was free
Number of seat with contral cab : 148 with 4 bike place in the cars.
Number of seat without control cab: 154
Number of cars with control cab : 4,
Number of cars without control cab : 18,
in service on lines : Dorion—Rigaud et Blainville—Saint-Jérôme.

Wagons St. Louis Car (série 5000)
owner : rented from New Jersey Transit.
Model : Comet 1b.
in service on lines : Mont-Saint-Hilaire , Dorion-Rigaud , Delson—Candiac

160 new multi level cars was ordered,expecting to get in end of 2009
 #708210  by Wingnut

During my trip to Montreal earlier this year, I was impressed by the variety of locomotives and coaches. AMT is quickly becoming what the Rock Island was in the 1970s--a virtual railroad museum where almost any kind of rolling stock is likely to show up! :) But somehow, I don't think GM's Aerotrain will be making an appearance.

FWIW: It was nice to ride in the old NJT Comet IBs one more time...pulled by an NJT engine, no less!
 #709196  by Montrealrail

In the early 90's we had some nice old rolling stock for the service on Montreal/Deux-Montagnes
The service was inssured by old Z2A locomotive and old blue VIA rail coach cars..
 #711778  by Wingnut

Nice pic! The VIA route guide for the Jonquiere and Senneterre trains suggest that they were run through the Mont Royal tunnel until 1990. Were these boxy locomotives used to pull them?
 #711785  by NS VIA FAN

Wingnut wrote:Nice pic! The VIA route guide for the Jonquiere and Senneterre trains suggest that they were run through the Mont Royal tunnel until 1990. Were these boxy locomotives used to pull them?
Yes and they could also be seen pulling a single RDC unit through the tunnel.
 #722308  by TrainDuNord

NS VIA FAN wrote:Yes and they could also be seen pulling a single RDC unit through the tunnel.
Not on a regular basis. CN (and VIA, on the ex-CN lines like Senneterre and Jonquiere) didn't use much RDCs. In the Montreal area, RDCs were mostly used by CP (and VIA, on ex-CP lines) on lines like Montreal/Mont-Laurier (until 1981), Montreal/Lachute/Montebello/Ottawa (until the late 80s) and Montreal/Trois-Rivieres/Quebec City (until the bridge fell in La Perade), none of which went through Mount-Royal tunnel which was exclusively CN. They were also used in the 60s on the CP Montreal/Dorion/Rigaud and Montreal/Vankleek Hill/Ottawa lines.

I lived until 1980 right next to East-Junction, and I have never seen a RDC go through the tunnel.
 #722543  by NS VIA FAN

TrainDuNord wrote:
NS VIA FAN wrote:Yes and they could also be seen pulling a single RDC unit through the tunnel.
Not on a regular basis.....
Sorry.....but yes VIA RDCs did use the Mount-Royal Tunnel on a regular basis (daily). After VIA transfered the the xCP Montreal-Trois Riviere-Quebec City trains from Windsor Station to Central Station, this was the route they used.

I rode VIA Train #162 from Montreal Gare Centrale to Quebec (Ste-Foy) in January 1985. An RDC hauled out through the tunnel by an electric unit to Eastern Jct/Gothier. Then the RDC continued on to Jacques Cartier Jct where it regained the CP route down a short spur from CN’s St-Laurent Subdivision. The North Shore RDCs used this route until January 1990.

Here’s the timetable. First stop out of Centrale was Mont-Royal then Bordeaux.
jan85.jpg
 #722801  by TrainDuNord

NS VIA FAN wrote:Sorry.....but yes VIA RDCs did use the Mount-Royal Tunnel on a regular basis (daily). After VIA transfered the the xCP Montreal-Trois Riviere-Quebec City trains from Windsor Station to Central Station, this was the route they used.

I rode VIA Train #162 from Montreal Gare Centrale to Quebec (Ste-Foy) in January 1985. An RDC hauled out through the tunnel by an electric unit to Eastern Jct/Gothier. Then the RDC continued on to Jacques Cartier Jct where it regained the CP route down a short spur from CN’s St-Laurent Subdivision. The North Shore RDCs used this route until January 1990.
I had left the area by that time, that's why I didn't see them!

That route would not be feasible now, as there is no more interchange with the CP line, Jacques-Cartier Junction having been dismantled afew years ago.
 #722815  by NS VIA FAN

TrainDuNord wrote: That route would not be feasible now, as there is no more interchange with the CP line, Jacques-Cartier Junction having been dismantled afew years ago.
Yes...I believe there is a building supplies store (Home Depot??) there now. Isn't AMT planning to re-route Blainville/St Jerome line trains into Gare Centrale eventually? Wouldn't a new track need to constructed roughly in this same area to permit this routing?
 #722892  by TrainDuNord

NS VIA FAN wrote: Yes...I believe there is a building supplies store (Home Depot??) there now. Isn't AMT planning to re-route Blainville/St Jerome line trains into Gare Centrale eventually? Wouldn't a new track need to constructed roughly in this same area to permit this routing?
The project is to create instead a new link further south, in order to keep the Parc stop for the St.Jerome train, so that passengers can still transfer to Metro line 5. The southmost CP track just west of Outremont would enter a new tunnel and there would be an underground switch with the Two-Mountains line in the current tunnel, south of Canora. The preliminary study is currently being done to determine the exact costs. I suppose it would be done only after the property of the Two-Mountains line is finally transfered from CN to AMT, which was supposed to be done last spring or summer, but which is not yet completed.
 #729441  by Montrealrail

The way I figure the new junction for Blainville train,if they finally do it..
On this video..at 6 minute 40,you will see Deux-Montagnes line hided on your left,we pass over it and the tunnel ending just under the track where we are in the video..the level crossing are my spotting point to find it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0ramdBqTk

10 second later,we can see a signal and on the left,an empty area,between road and track,where the new tunnel exit could be done,and get a connection in the curve ahead.by the left side.after,it's the old Outremount QGRY yard,that no longer be operationnal,very nice area to get developpment and finally,we will have to add a station,the way I explained for the new exit,that could be much possible to add a station right there..
 #740112  by Wingnut

TrainDuNord wrote:
NS VIA FAN wrote: Yes...I believe there is a building supplies store (Home Depot??) there now. Isn't AMT planning to re-route Blainville/St Jerome line trains into Gare Centrale eventually? Wouldn't a new track need to constructed roughly in this same area to permit this routing?
The project is to create instead a new link further south, in order to keep the Parc stop for the St.Jerome train, so that passengers can still transfer to Metro line 5. The southmost CP track just west of Outremont would enter a new tunnel and there would be an underground switch with the Two-Mountains line in the current tunnel, south of Canora. The preliminary study is currently being done to determine the exact costs. I suppose it would be done only after the property of the Two-Mountains line is finally transfered from CN to AMT, which was supposed to be done last spring or summer, but which is not yet completed.
I was wondering the same thing...a new short connecting tunnel and interlocking south of Canora sounds far more expensive than a simple above ground link near the Home Depot. But I agree it might be worth it to maintain service to Parc and Chabenel.