Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Trackside Guide

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#394201  by nydepot

There used to be a Canadian Railfan Guide that was updated year. It was soft cover and fairly thick. It covered the current railroads in Canada, class I, regional, and shortline. There were timetables, mileposts, signal descriptions, museums, museum rosters, and maps.

What was the name of it and it is still published? Thanks.

Charles

#394247  by 2spot

The Canadian Trackside Guide is published each year by the Bytown Railway Society. The 2007 edition came out recently. See Bytowns homepage at http://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/ , you can get their publications directly.
 #611340  by Alcoman

I have 2 used copies for sale; (1 2005 and 1 2007) if anyone is interested. Both in excellent condition. Contact me off list.
 #702419  by transit man

I'll be visiting the Toronto area shortly and want to purchase the 2009 edition of the Canadian Trackside Guide. Can anyone suggest hobby shops in the GTA where I could obtain a copy?
 #702463  by Ken V

Many hobby shops in the Toronto area carry the Trackside Guide but some only order a small quantity and sell out early. I can't say which ones would still have it in stock so you may have to call around. A couple of suggestions are George's Trains in Markham (apparently their Toronto location has recently closed) or Credit Valley Railway in Streetsville (Mississauga). You can also check the Yellow Pages for other model train stores in the area.
 #706747  by transit man

Ken V:

Based on your suggestion, I contacted George's Trains and asked them to hold a copy for me which I picked up last Friday. Thanks for the tip!!
 #775078  by miklin

don't look for a 2010 edition anytime soon. The 2009 edition did not sell out and the Bytown Railway Society, in their "Branchline" monthly indicated that, as most fans buy it every couple years, they may cutback to every second year or something along that line.
 #775123  by Ken V

miklin wrote:don't look for a 2010 edition anytime soon. The 2009 edition did not sell out and the Bytown Railway Society, in their "Branchline" monthly indicated that, as most fans buy it every couple years, they may cutback to every second year or something along that line.
That would be unfortunate. I, for one, have bought a copy of the Trackside Guide every year since 1995.
 #780820  by miklin

it sounds like we can look for a combined 2010/2011 edition in the Fall. Their monthly newsmagazine "Branchline" is an excellent source for updates.
 #1000435  by Alcoman

I have a question for any Canadian experts.

I noticed in the 2011 edition, there is no listing for: ALLIED CHEMICAL/GENERAL CHEMICAL

Does this Company exist? If so what is their current ALCO Roster?

If not, what happen to all the ALCO's they had?