Railroad Forums 

• Best railfanning hotspots in eastern Canada?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#672346  by vin2112

Hello all. I'll be on vacation next month driving around northern New England, New Brunswick then back through the Great Lakes region to see my sister in Michigan. I'm also planning a stop in Altoona, PA to watch trains at the Horseshoe Curve. Are there any equivalent high traffic sites in Quebec or Ontario?
Thanks.
 #672377  by Ken V

Two of Trains Magazine's top hot spots are Dorval Quebec (a western suburb of Montreal) and Bayview Junction in Burlington Ontario. Almost anywhere along CN's main line between Montreal and Toronto would also provide plenty of train watching action - especially where the CPR main parallels it, west of Belleville Ontario.

More information can be found in the following topics: Montreal Railfanning Questions and Question about railways around Great Lakes.
 #674092  by GPKTrainSpot

I would recommend two spots:

1. Dorval's commuter terminal. You can park the car there, and watch CN, CP, and AMT Commuter trans. One tip: I wouldn't actually go on to the platform. If there's an AMT security officer there checking passes and he/she spots you, you will be ticketed.

2. From CN's St. Lambert station. If you don't mind the drive accross the Victoria Bridge, you
can get some pretty good railfaning in on Friday evenings at just around the supper hour.
Two months ago, the following were spotted betwwen 18;00 and 19:00 hrs:
-VIA's "Ocean" on its way to Halifax,
-AMTRAK'S "Adirondak" to Montreal

3. CN "double-stack" container train to Montreal from Halifax

4. CN mixed freight, heading to Montreal, 3 EMD SD untis and approximately 80 cars

5. AMT commuter train from Montreal to St. Hilaire

Actually, the order of above should have started with the AMT train. Once that comes through, standing on the platform is not a problem. Recently I was there to see a friend off to Halifax on VIA's latest version of the Ocean. The station manager did not mind at all, just so long as nobody got into mischief.

Hope this helps, sorry for the tardiness of a reply here, I only joined yesterday.

GPKTrainSpot
 #676163  by Montrealrail

Hi!

I get a complete list of Quebec province hot-spots for railfanning,some of New-Brunswick and few ones in Ontario
with a map and the direction to go for it,and also the frequency of train passing by and a note to tell if it's close to the track or not..

the only thing,it's all in french,but by regions name,that sould be enough to understand the spots...
http://railfan.quebectrain.com/hotspots.php
 #713426  by gp9rm4108

Just east of Cobourg Ontario. Pentecostal road right by the entrance to Lakeshore Camp is a popular spot. West bound CP trains stop at the crossing there for meets. CP, CN and plenty of VIA.
 #727017  by gaspeamtrak

Has anybody stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Dorval yet? Can you recommend any room numbers at the back of the hotel facing the tracks?
I have stayed at the Best Western before and it was ok.Just wondering :-)

Ken V wrote:Two of Trains Magazine's top hot spots are Dorval Quebec (a western suburb of Montreal) and Bayview Junction in Burlington Ontario. Almost anywhere along CN's main line between Montreal and Toronto would also provide plenty of train watching action - especially where the CPR main parallels it, west of Belleville Ontario.

More information can be found in the following topics: Montreal Railfanning Questions and Question about railways around Great Lakes.
 #727031  by NS VIA FAN

gaspeamtrak wrote:Has anybody stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Dorval yet? Can you recommend any room numbers at the back of the hotel facing the tracks?
Yes, last weekend. I was on the fifth floor at the back and had a great view! Lots of action and you can hear most traffic that is approaching from the east and have time to grab the camera.

Weekend rate was $125. including taxes.
 #727084  by gaspeamtrak

I will be in Montreal Monday and Tuesday and will check out the rates! I know they maybe a little higher during the week.
Thank you very much! :-D
NS VIA FAN wrote:
gaspeamtrak wrote:Has anybody stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Dorval yet? Can you recommend any room numbers at the back of the hotel facing the tracks?
Yes, last weekend. I was on the fifth floor at the back and had a great view! Lots of action and you can hear most traffic that is approaching from the east and have time to grab the camera.

Weekend rate was $125. including taxes.
 #740804  by jwhite07

Bayview Junction is a great place to railfan. I went there with my wife last summer. Well, technically we went to the Royal Botanical Gardens, but I paid much more attention to the trains than the flowers. :-)