Railroad Forums 

• Quebec Gatineau Railway Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#658197  by atsf sp

Does Route 148 from Montreal to Ottawa follow the Quebec-Gatineau Line? How many points does the line run right beside the road? And once into Gatineau, where is the yard?
 #658240  by TrainDuNord

atsf sp wrote:Does Route 148 from Montreal to Ottawa follow the Quebec-Gatineau Line? How many points does the line run right beside the road? And once into Gatineau, where is the yard?
Between Lachute and Gatineau, the road is always close to the track. You may view the train at every cross-road. A really good place is at Plaisance, West of Montebello, where the tressle bridge is right next to road 148.

As far as a yard, I have never seen it.
 #658631  by atsf sp

How many trains operate over this line everyday? Are there any Q-G yards along this line? This is the Lachute Sub right or does it change names when CP tracks turn to Q-G?
 #658727  by TrainDuNord

atsf sp wrote:How many trains operate over this line everyday? Are there any Q-G yards along this line? This is the Lachute Sub right or does it change names when CP tracks turn to Q-G?
It is still called Lachute Sub between Ste.Therese and Gatineau. There is one train per day in each direction, usually at night, on weekdays only. The new QG yard is the old CP yard at Ste.Therese. They relocated there last year when the Outremont yard was closed. The main entrace to the yard is on Grande-Allee street in the town of Boisbriand. It is close to the interchange between highways A-15 and A-640. You get a very good view of the yard from the Grande-Allee crossing, allowing you to take pictures from the street without having to walk on QG grounds.
 #660082  by Montrealrail

At Ste-Therese,it's the closer yard from from,QGRY operated a yard in Outremount,but closed last september beginning,I got the last train giving service there in picture on this day..

At Ste-Therese,you get get some activitys in the morning and at the night,sometime duraing the day,you can get some good view on the engines..
 #756902  by Sylvain727

:-D You can see QGRY trains when you driving your car also on the RT 138 from the city of Trois-Rivieres sector Pointe-du-Lac to the municipality of Yamachiche on the RT 138 the provincial secondary road to get back to the QGRY's Trois-Rivieres subdivision when you leave the town of Louiseville to the municipality of Maskinonge and the road following again the railroad until (2 miles) 3.2 km to the west of the municipality of Maskinonge. And after that the railroad and the provincial route 138 will separate each one sides in the middle of the fields.

The QGRY's Trois-Rivieres subdivision belongs formerly to the Canadian Pacific Railway and their sold their tracks to the Quebec Gatineau Railway in november 1997 in the same time that the QGRY's Lachute and Monfort subdivisions that the Monfort sub belongs formerly to the Canadian National Railway.

So the CP has also sold their St.Maurice Valley sub and the St-Gabriel sub from Trois-Rivieres to Grand-Mere and from Lanoraie to Notre-Dame-des-Prairies to the QGRY which he has an interchange to the Chemin de Fer de Lanaudière (Lanaudiere Railway) to St-Felix-de-Valois to Bell-Gaz. A propane gas company which as an railroad terminal to carry propane gas to their installations.

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroad ... au_railway

http://www.cflanaudiere.com/en/index.php
 #759431  by TrainDuNord

Sylvain727 wrote:The QGRY's Trois-Rivieres subdivision belongs formerly to the Canadian Pacific Railway and their sold their tracks to the Quebec Gatineau Railway in november 1997 in the same time that the QGRY's Lachute and Monfort subdivisions that the Monfort sub belongs formerly to the Canadian National Railway.

So the CP has also sold their St.Maurice Valley sub and the St-Gabriel sub from Trois-Rivieres to Grand-Mere and from Lanoraie to Notre-Dame-des-Prairies to the QGRY which he has an interchange to the Chemin de Fer de Lanaudière (Lanaudiere Railway) to St-Felix-de-Valois to Bell-Gaz.
That's all false. CP retained ownership of the tracks. They only leased them to QGRY.

Before posting informations, you should make sure that thay are true. Otherwise, say that you are assuming things, don't try to make them pass as truths.
 #904012  by Sylvain727

TrainDuNord wrote:
Sylvain727 wrote:The QGRY's Trois-Rivieres subdivision belongs formerly to the Canadian Pacific Railway and their sold their tracks to the Quebec Gatineau Railway in november 1997 in the same time that the QGRY's Lachute and Monfort subdivisions that the Monfort sub belongs formerly to the Canadian National Railway.

So the CP has also sold their St.Maurice Valley sub and the St-Gabriel sub from Trois-Rivieres to Grand-Mere and from Lanoraie to Notre-Dame-des-Prairies to the QGRY which he has an interchange to the Chemin de Fer de Lanaudière (Lanaudiere Railway) to St-Felix-de-Valois to Bell-Gaz.
That's all false. CP retained ownership of the tracks. They only leased them to QGRY.

Before posting informations, you should make sure that thay are true. Otherwise, say that you are assuming things, don't try to make them pass as truths.
Ok,"TrainDuNord". But can you explain me that why on the Genesee & Wyoming website they said that Quebec-Gatineau Railway acquired from CP Rail in november 1997 ?

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroad ... au_railway

Without wishing you to offend,can you explain me that and to the other members here please ?
In addition, I know a bit a conductor which is working on the QGRY trains and it was he that told me that
Quebec-Gatineau Railway has acquired from former Canadian Pacific's railway tracks from Gatineau (Hull) to Quebec City.

Maybe he is wrong but I make no case.
Without rancor.
 #904275  by Ken V

I believe Sylvain727 is correct here. According to reports in Branchline (Oct 1997) and Trains (Nov 1997), both reasonably reliable publications, the lines between Quebec City and Hull were being sold to Genesee Rail One by the St. Lawrence & Hudson Railway. Perhaps there is some confusion here since CPR did retain ownership of the segment between St-Martin Jct. and Ste-Therese/St-Augustin as well as the line to Blainville and St-Jerome. QGRY operates over the CPR owned tracks via trackage rights between the portions it owns.
 #904561  by TrainDuNord

On September 29, 1997, a deed of sale intervened between Canadian Pacific Lrd (St.Lawrence and Hudson) and Quebec-Gatineau Railway before public notary Lynda Martineau of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. I have a copy of the contract in front of me. This sale was for the right of way between Ste.Therese and Gatineau, on the North shore of the Ottawa River. The right of way between St.Martin Junction and Quebec City, however, has never been sold to anybody by Canadian Pacific to this day. Right now, it is still recorded in the Quebec land office (the "Bureau de la Publicite des droits") as being the sole property of Canadian Pacific Ltd.

Under French law, which is in effect in Quebec, there is the possibility of "bail emphyteotique" (a long-term lease for a period of 60 or 99 years) in which the lessee acquires all the benefits (and duties) of the owner, but without the actual ownership being transfered. It is probably that type of private contract that intervened between CP and G&W. But in actual practise, under Quebec law, CP is still the official owner.
 #904650  by Ken V

Thank you TrainDuNord for providing the above details. As you apparently have access to information which is not commonly available I will defer to your description as being fact and hope the other members will as well.