Railroad Forums 

• Question about railways around Great Lakes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#635429  by R. Quaß

Hello,

my name is Ronny Quaß, I´m from Germany and I´m new in your very good forum. :-D
I would like to spend my holiday in autumn at the Great Lakes. I´m looking for informations about railwaylines with best action. I´m interested in long frigthtrains, railway museums and E and F units. On which lines can I spot the most trains in this region? And also where are good photo points?
I hope you can help me.

Best regards from Stuttgart - Germany

Ronny Quaß
 #635523  by atsf sp

Try Thunder Bay, ON. It is on Lake Superior and has a big CP yard. When I went there was a restaurant at the mouth of the yard. And there are coffee shops on the tracks to.
Toronto is also good with GO, VIA and the freight lines.
 #636077  by Ken V

There are many locations in Southern Ontario along the CN and CP main lines where you can see plenty of long freight trains. A popular spot for train watching is a place known as Bayview Junction in Burlington, near Hamilton. There is a footbridge over the tracks here by the Laking Garden in the Royal Botanical Gardens where railfans gather year round to take photos. An excellent website for information about Toronto and the surrounding area is Rails in Toronto.

There are a number of small museums and tourist train operations scattered about. One I would suggest is the Elgin County Railway Museum in St. Thomas.
 #637078  by atsf sp

I don't know about anymore but Sault-Ste-Marie used to be a good place to watch trains. But CN took over mostly all the short lines in the area, so I do not know how good it is now.