Railroad Forums 

• Help! Montreal Location!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#626027  by Death Star

I was going through Montreal with my family one time and we were on a double lane highway (like an interstate) and saw what I believe was to railyards owned by CN. But what sticks in my mind the most was I saw a building and right next to it was a GE E60 electric engine with N de M (National Railways of Mexico) written on the side. Is that a locomotive shop related to GE? I also saw a British EMD unit too. I know it's not the EMD shops as they are in London. But what did I see?
 #658850  by Dieter

You were on Highway 20 (Autoroute 20 en francais), the longest four-laner in Quebec, spanning the Province from the Provincial Line at Ontario (where it turns into the 401 to Toronto) all the way to Riviere-Du Loup. Past CAD shops, on the left by Verdun, you past a desolate area which was until a few years ago, the largest rail yard in Canada. It has been moved elsewhere pending development as the real estate has become too valuable to waste on transport.

CAD rebuilds anything and everything, they always need welders and the pay is $#itty from what I'm told.

D/
 #662354  by Montrealrail

Dieter wrote:You were on Highway 20 (Autoroute 20 en francais), the longest four-laner in Quebec, spanning the Province from the Provincial Line at Ontario (where it turns into the 401 to Toronto) all the way to Riviere-Du Loup. Past CAD shops, on the left by Verdun, you past a desolate area which was until a few years ago, the largest rail yard in Canada. It has been moved elsewhere pending development as the real estate has become too valuable to waste on transport.

CAD rebuilds anything and everything, they always need welders and the pay is $#itty from what I'm told.

D/
I think you speak about Turcot yard..

It was closed around 2001
When I took this picture,I was just over that place
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 826&nseq=0

I get some views of CAD industry in Lachine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_1IYrUO_k