Railroad Forums 

• 6148 and 6133 back in Victoria

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#46615  by ENR3870

A very short Duncan Turn(only two ex-Rock Island hoppers and the two Geeps) brought 6133 and 6148 back to Victoria today. After switching the Victoria yard, the freight crew left the RDC's on the track closest to the turntable and headed north again. They arrived in Victoria at 11:45 and left at 1:45. After they left Glenn discovered that the crew had forgotten to line the yard switch back to the turntable track for the Budds, so I had to go throw the switch.

Tonight, when 6130 and 6135 return, it'll be the first time four RDC's have been in Victoria, ever.

#46707  by missthealcos

I had actually been contemplating the potential for that to happen, but figured somehow one would leave before the others arrived. That's almost worth a trip over for some pictures. So 6148 is repaired? is 6133 intact again as well? I wonder how long all 4 cars will stay over there now. Not many places anywhere one can see 4 RDC's in one place.

#47112  by ENR3870

Drove by the yard tonight, 6148 and 6133 were still sitting on the old coach tracks. They may run 6148 on a couple test runs, meaning three RDC's on the Malahat.

6133 is almost in tact. Missing three ditch lights, a horn(replaced by one of the 3-chime horns from 6148), an air compressor, and a drop down window in one of the cabs.

#47543  by ENR3870

6135 is supposed to be pulled from service and get new wheels, so 6148 and 6130 will be running together for a while. Both 6148 and 6130 have snack bars, but there's no food service on the Malahat.

#47591  by Ken V

ENR3870 wrote:Both 6148 and 6130 have snack bars, but there's no food service on the Malahat.
Not even Nanaimo Bars!!? but seriously... food service on the Malahat is a thing of the past, unfortunately. There's just not that much of a market to make it worthwhile for VIA to do this. Northbound passengers do have the option of picking up something to eat/drink during the stop in Nanaimo or waiting until Courtenay. I suppose that's just a sign of the times.

Thanks Tyler for all your updates. I don't have a lot to say most of the time, but I appreciate all the info you provide us on the latest E&N news.

#47633  by ENR3870

How could it be a thing of the past????? The Malahat has never had food service. I just found it ironic that the Malahat has no food service, yet two RDC's equipped for food service.