Railroad Forums 

• Surviving turntable in Jonquiere, QC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#572246  by atsf sp

I was in Jonquiere, Qc recently and at the CN facilities, where VIA laysover its train from Montreal, I noticed a pit with a turntable still in it. It didn't look like it was in that bad of a condition but it was overgrown with weeds. Although I only saw it at night. Although it was a classic Canadian turntable with the metal loop in the center. What was the history of this table, and was there a roundhouse in this location at one time? I did not get a pic of the turntable, but here is one of the VIA engine 6409 and facility. Sorry about the bad lighting.
 #594224  by jhdeasy

I have thought about doing a trip to Jonquiere ... either as a Via passenger or with private car MOUNT VERNON ... possibly up on a Friday with return to Montreal on Sunday. Are there any good attractions (non-rail) in the area, or the nearby city of Chicoutimi? Does the Via consist layover in a smal CN yard? Is the location remote, or within reasonable walking distance of things?

We did a weekend visit to Senneterre on Via's "Abitibi" with private car MOUNT VERNON in September 2005. It was an enjoyable experience. We have a few photos online at:
http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/page ... 005_6.html
 #594334  by atsf sp

When I went there this year I found it only as a rest stop for me. But the VIA station is in Jonquiere. It is a somewhat bar and club area. Not much there. there is one attraction in the immediate area which is a really interesting cable stay walking bridge that has a sign for directions to it on every street. The VIA layover at a small three tracked facility slightly off the line. It says CN but when I was there all i saw was the VIA, hence the picture. Chicoutimi is a nicer area. For railfanning the aluminum plant has a CN yard where I saw three SD70M-2s and it is the partial headquarters of the Roberval & Saguenay RR. I saw there three Super7s sitting on the property. But the downtown part, since that plant is not downtown, has a nice waterfront, I believe some museums, and just a nice place. Then there is the third part of Saguenay which is La Baie. This town has an airforce museum with the only MIG in Canada. Also in downtown, I am dissapointed I did not find this, they have the main yards for the R&S and also a R&S 0-4-2T. That area is also called Port Alfred. But about the walking from the VIA station, I do not think you could. I would recommend taking the taxi, or if you are staying for more than one night, rent a car. There may be buses but I'm not sure.
CN Saguenay.jpg