Railroad Forums 

• AMT New Equipment & other stuff that could fit

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#542951  by NortheastTrainMan

I just recently got into AMT and I heard about AMT purchasing new Bi-Levels that are identical to the Comet VIs (NJT) but have a 1 piece door why is that?

AMT
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic ... ded&start=
NJT
http://www.thejoekorner.com/photos/njtr ... ecker.html

Also the bi-levels are short enough to go through Mount Royal Tunnel but AMT doesn't own any electric locomotives. So I would assume that they would be used on other lines than the Deux-Montages Line.

I noticed that AMT runs 4 GP9-Ms with power cars in push pull service but to save space I think that AMT should purchase MP40s, P40DCs, or somehow GP40PHs. Would service be smoother if AMT owned those locomotives?

P.S. I never rode AMT so I don't know too much about service
 #543395  by TrainDuNord

NortheastTrainMan wrote:Also the bi-levels are short enough to go through Mount Royal Tunnel but AMT doesn't own any electric locomotives. So I would assume that they would be used on other lines than the Deux-Montages Line.
They are supposed to be used starting in 2010 on the new East-end train, which will use both electrified track (from Central Station thru Mount-Royal tunnel to Eastern Junction) and non-electrified (from the Eastern Junction onward). They are supposed to be used with dual-mode locos. There is a current request for proposals for thoses dual-modes with NJT, and the tenders were supposed to be announced at the beginning of 2008. But they are not out yet and a lot of people are starting to doubt that the locos will be ready for 2010 since none is currently being manufactured.

The second batch are supposed to be used on the Two-Mountains line (all electrified) but no announcement has been made yet for the purchase of electric locos.

Finally, the last batch is supposed to be used on the St.Jerome line, once a connection is built at Canora between the CPR line and the Two-Mountains line inside Mount-Royal tunnel. But that has yet to be financed and I for one doubt that it will be soon. Again, that would use dual-mode locos.

If you can manage to read French, there is a good description of all those projects in the 2008-2010 «Three-year Investment Program» of AMT at the following address:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/corpo/documents/bu ... 08_PTI.pdf
(it is a 5MB pdf document).
 #543421  by TrainDuNord

NortheastTrainMan wrote:I noticed that AMT runs 4 GP9-Ms with power cars in push pull service but to save space I think that AMT should purchase MP40s, P40DCs, or somehow GP40PHs. Would service be smoother if AMT owned those locomotives?
The GP9 and HEP car combinations are only used on the Delson-Candiac line with old GO-Transit coaches that have reach their end of life. Given the state of those coaches, I don't think new locos would make any difference.

Once the new Bombardier Bilevels are received, the AMT is supposed to transfer the Vickers Bilevels currently on the St.Jerome line to the Delson-Candiac line. Since they are used with F59PHI now, I suppose the locos will be transfered as well. The Vickers are rather old (early 70s) but were completely refurbished (and converted to HEP) two or three years ago, so they should last a few more years.
 #543476  by Ken V

TrainDuNord wrote:If you can manage to read French, there is a good description of all those projects in the 2008-2010 «Three-year Investment Program» of AMT at the following address:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/corpo/documents/bu ... 08_PTI.pdf
That's quite the document - very ambitious indeed. Considering the price tag involved, I highly doubt many of the items to be studied will ever come to pass. The one item that fascinates me most is the connection between the (CP) Blainville/St-Jerome line and the (CN) Deux-Montagnes line. Digging a new tunnel from Av du Parc station to the current Mount Royal tunnel would be a massive undertaking.

I can't read French as well as I used to but Babelfish helps.
NortheastTrainMan wrote:I heard about AMT purchasing new Bi-Levels that are identical to the Comet VIs (NJT) but have a 1 piece door why is that?
It's just a guess but I think the single door is because AMT doesn't plan to use it for both high-level platforms and low-level platforms considering the reported problems NJT had with the traps.
 #543523  by TrainDuNord

Ken V wrote:It's just a guess but I think the single door is because AMT doesn't plan to use it for both high-level platforms and low-level platforms considering the reported problems NJT had with the traps.
They don't really have any choice here. Both the East-end and the Two-Mountains lines end up at Central Station which has high-level platforms only, while all other stations are low-level.
 #543762  by Ken V

TrainDuNord wrote:They don't really have any choice here. Both the East-end and the Two-Mountains lines end up at Central Station which has high-level platforms only, while all other stations are low-level.
That's true, but from the picture it looks like there are two sets of doors - one for low-level and the other for high-level - sort of like the MR90's have today.
 #544741  by NortheastTrainMan

the old GO Transit cars look nice and comfortable(interior lol) but do they ride well? they have a abstract design, like the cab car controls on top of a door.

The gallery bi-levels look kind of old but seem ok how are they doing?

P.S.- Why doesn't AMT use their horns? Do they run through quiet zones or are they trying to be like their cousin (France/SNCF)?
 #545587  by drewh

That's a great document. I like the idea of the SLR on Parc as that where my apartment is, though metro Place-des-Arts is only a couple of blocks.

On another note, I just passed thru the Gare Lucien L'Allier the other day and was reminded by the picture in this document. It's amazing they built this central rail terminus and did not think to build coverred paltforms (in fact its a shame). Considering what was available before at the old Windsor station and of course the inclement weather for almost 1/2 the year, I'd say the riding public got really ripped off with the building of the Bell Centre. Anyone else have a comment on why they were not built or considered?

I also found the transfer to the metro at Lucien L'Allier difficult (long).
 #545657  by Ken V

drewh wrote:I also found the transfer to the metro at Lucien L'Allier difficult (long).
Well, the transfer from the old Windsor Station to the Métro at Bonaventure wasn't a piece of cake either (but at least you could do that without going out in the street :)).
 #545878  by NortheastTrainMan

does AMT consider Lucien L'Allier inbound or outbound? Because their locomotives always face Lucien L'Allier station to me it would make more sense to have the cab car face Lucien L'Allier station.
 #546324  by NS VIA FAN

drewh wrote:It's amazing they built this central rail terminus and did not think to build coverred paltforms (in fact its a shame). Considering what was available before at the old Windsor station and of course the inclement weather for almost 1/2 the year, I'd say the riding public got really ripped off with the building of the Bell Centre. Anyone else have a comment on why they were not built or considered?
There hasn’t been covered platforms at Windsor Station since around 1970-71 (long before the Bell Centre) when the Ville-Marie Autoroute was constructed to downtown. The highway followed a route roughly parallel to the CP tracks to Windsor Station but slightly angled. The tracks had to be rebuilt and could no longer enter the old train-shed on their original alignment. They were relocated to where the Bell Centre now stands with the bumper-posts at the outside end of the old Train-shed. Trains now stopped outside but you still walked into the concourse along the original platforms (with tracks removed) under the train-shed.

When the Bell Centre was constructed around 1995, the tracks were relocated further west to their current location but the stations was still called Terminus Gare Windsor. Only since the early 2000s was the station renamed Lucien-L’Allier to better reflect it’s location closer to the Metro Station of the same name.
 #551848  by TrainDuNord

NortheastTrainMan wrote:the old GO Transit cars look nice and comfortable(interior lol) but do they ride well? they have a abstract design, like the cab car controls on top of a door.

The gallery bi-levels look kind of old but seem ok how are they doing?

P.S.- Why doesn't AMT use their horns? Do they run through quiet zones or are they trying to be like their cousin (France/SNCF)?
The old GO cars still ride pretty well. The gallery bilevels are sort of rough however, although they have been rebuilt two years ago. After a ride on the new Bombardier bilevels, taking the old gallery's is like going back to the Old West in an ox wagon!

It's not left to the AMT to decide whether or not to use the horns. It's up to each town to ask for a shutdown. So far, most towns have asked for the trains to be silent. The Transportation Board of Canada has to approve each specific case, however. Two years ago, the was an accident at the Turgeon street crossing in Ste.Therese, and it was two or three months before the horns could be silent again, because the TB asked for changes to the crossing before it would allow using only the bells again, instead of the horns.
 #628992  by Montrealrail

TrainDuNord wrote:
NortheastTrainMan wrote:I noticed that AMT runs 4 GP9-Ms with power cars in push pull service but to save space I think that AMT should purchase MP40s, P40DCs, or somehow GP40PHs. Would service be smoother if AMT owned those locomotives?
The GP9 and HEP car combinations are only used on the Delson-Candiac line with old GO-Transit coaches that have reach their end of life. Given the state of those coaches, I don't think new locos would make any difference.

Once the new Bombardier Bilevels are received, the AMT is supposed to transfer the Vickers Bilevels currently on the St.Jerome line to the Delson-Candiac line. Since they are used with F59PHI now, I suppose the locos will be transfered as well. The Vickers are rather old (early 70s) but were completely refurbished (and converted to HEP) two or three years ago, so they should last a few more years.

I get some shot of this equipment,The GP9 with is box car generator

a more better view form Lucien-L'Allier station,we can remarks that all the engines are facing to the wall,that's because,in Sortin,they park all the trains on that way,longtime ago,they where getting at Vendôme sation the Shop for the material,including a loop,on that time,the trains was operated by the STCUM(bus and subway) before to be transfered to the AMT,who'S operate the trains and some buses line

some ones from Toronto sould be remind tis interior,this one is the inside of the 108 Cab car unit

and on this one,the oldest material,the Canadian Vicker'S bi-levels
here's a cab ride from Lucien-L'Allier to Vendome
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBf9wvheOM

and another one from Montreal-West to Lachine
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=4457
 #684337  by gaspeamtrak

I haven't heard any news about the order that AMT made a year or two ago?
Does anybody have any information about what's happening with the order?
Was it about 130 cars that were ordered or am i having dreams?
Just curious... :-)