Railroad Forums 

• Sydney & Louisburg RS-1's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#445039  by nydepot

I'm looking for photos of S&L RS-1s for modeling purposes. I have seen 2 S&L books and written to the S&L Hist. Soc (no response). If you can help, please let me know. Thanks.

Charles

#447183  by Rich T

Charles

If some RS1 photos from 1978 when Devco was running things will help, contact me off post and I'll scan some of my slides for you.

#447193  by nydepot

If still in S&L paint they would. I know some did survive for a while in black. Thank you for writing.

Charles

#447230  by Rich T

I've got #204 in black with diagonal yellow end stripes and a steam locomotive type bell on the long hood.

If this is of help I'll scan the slides and send them as attachments.

#447319  by nydepot

Years I've been looking. Thanks.

Charles
 #785080  by graftonterminalrr

Old post, I know.

The S&L RS-1s were of ex-Minneapolis & St. Louis and Soo Line heritage. This is why the steam loco-style bell was installed on some of the units - it was an M&St.L modification. To accomodate the bell, the walkway over the fan housing was offset from the middle to the fireman's side.

RS1s were ran alongside three purchased-new RS23s and two ex-MLW leaser, nee-UP RS27s that worked on the Roberval and Saguenay prior to M420 delivery. They were retained all through the Devco days, with patched Soo Line paint still surviving on at least one unit until the late 70's. New GP38-2s were purchased in 1981. The RS27s were scrapped, the RS23s were sold to the Greater Winnipeg Water District where they remain in service, and most RS1s were sold for scrap except for at least three units. Two were sold or donated to the Salem and Hillsborough Railway in New Brunswick, where they were destroyed along with other equipment in a 1994 roundhouse fire.

One RS1 was converted into a snowplow and still survives in Sydney.
 #853162  by Alcoman

At least one unit, I think the 204 ended up on the Black River & Western Ry in New Jersey with its former paint scheme showing. I will have to look at my slides as I may have picture of it.