Railroad Forums 

• Waterloo & St Jacobs trainset

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#433591  by Don

Some time ago I read that the above had been sold & was to be moved out west somewhere. Not sure if it was in the US or Ca. Does anyone have any futher info re: this or is the set still in Toronto? TIA
Don

#433689  by 2spot

Some (The locomotives, and three cars) of that set went to the West Coast Railway Association in Squamish, BC. They will be back in service fairly soon, I'm sure. They announced the acquisition in January in their newsletter.
Great Canadian Railtour Co (Rocky Mountaineer Vacations) has two of the passenger cars as well. They were leased to the Kamloops Heritage Railway, I'm not sure if they still are.

http://www.wcra.org/
http://www.rockymountaineer.com/
http://www.kamrail.com/
 #433839  by Don

Thanks. Shot those a # of times in Waterloo & had a cab ride as well. Was always a nice experience visiting up there. Are they planning on a repaint or just relettering?
Don
 #433916  by 2spot

Don wrote:Thanks. Shot those a # of times in Waterloo & had a cab ride as well. Was always a nice experience visiting up there. Are they planning on a repaint or just relettering?
Don
My best guess would be that they just subletter their reporting marks (WCXX) over a restored original paint scheme. They had to remove the "Canadian Pacific" lettering from WCXX 4069, supposedly to appease CN while the FP7 operated on CN tracks on lease to Rocky Mountaineer Railtours "Whistler Mountaineer" (former BC Rail line). They are supposed to be a preservation group, though they operate like any other business. Having said that, the units are in good hands. But they will earn their keep.
http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%2 ... 4069-1.jpg
 #433952  by Don

When I visited the RR from 97' - 99', both locos & cars were in very good shape. I'm sure sitting in Toronto for 6 years did'nt help but I wonder what has/had to be done (if anything) to get them on the road?
Don

#438809  by Don

Item from the NYS forum has the 5 ex WSJ passenger cars in Buffalo NY possibly headed to the Medina NY RR museum, about 45 mi. ne of Buffalo. Can any one shed some light on why they were sold/moved? Also, are the 2 FP9's still in Squamish? TIA
Don

#438914  by videobruce

I don't know what to make out of this. All four cars are in Frontier Yard, Buffalo NY in the class yard with no classification. The last two arrived on Sunday.

#439141  by 2spot

In December 2000, the WSJ moved their 11 cars to storage at VIA's Toronto Maintenance Center. 2 cars were sold in 2001, Cafe Bar lounge 2510 to Georgetown RR, Combine 9300 to Ohio Central. With the 3 that went to WCXX and the 2 at KHR, the 5 in Buffalo, NY , this would account for the whole set.

#439197  by Don

Zspot, thanks for the clarification on this. So the locos & 3 cars in Squamish are there to stay at least for the present. I dont recall 11 cars @ Waterloo but evidently there were that many. I have pics of the locos & cars that were there in 2/98. Shots are a bit rare as the locos were stored back to back. The usual operation had a loco on each end. The cars going to the Medina museum -( its been confirmed )were probably stored in Toronto.
Don

#439292  by 2spot

To be honest, I don't know if the WCRA has received the FP-9s as yet. I've let my membership to their newsletter slip. I do know that they announced having purchased the WSJ "trainset" in January of this year, about the time the locomotives and remaining cars left the D F Barnhardt (sp?) web page. Their headline read "CN excursion train headed to WCRA"(I saved that page to my pix file as a reference).
The FP-9s aren't shown in the CTG at Squamish, although the 3 cars are. But I don't know where the locomotives are right now. I thought I should clarify.

My info for the cars' disposition comes from the 2005 CTG page 4-25.

WSJ

#439437  by Don

A source from Yahoo's Loconotes has the FP's still in Toronto.

#442702  by Ken V

I passed by VIA's Toronto Maintenance Centre this afternoon and the ex-WSJR FP9's are still there, with WCXX reporting marks. There was also one coach remaining.
 #543603  by Don

Are the above still in Toronto? About a year ago, they were supposed go to a tourist line in central or western Canada. Last year, 4 of the passeneger cars were sold to the Medina RR museum & are currently stored @ Middleport NY. TIA
Don
 #543745  by Ken V

They were still there last time I looked but it's been a few months since then.